First impressions with KS-16B

wozphil

I just bought a KS-16B in order to replace my Airwheel X8. I had my first ride today and I must say that a couple of things really annoy me with it...

First, the high frequency sound it produces while riding. It's really awful ! Is it normal? Can we do anything about it? (except getting old and not hearing HF sounds anymore? :-D )

Second, the pads on the KS-16B are much harder than on the X8. It's not really comfortable... It's even painful... Has someone added softer pads to his KS-16B? If so, where could I buy some?

Aside of these two points, the rest is, for now, just pure happiness... 

2 hours ago, wozphil said:

First, the high frequency sound it produces while riding. It's really awful ! Is it normal?

Yes - as much as this sound can be called normal...

Can we do anything about it? (except getting old and not hearing HF sounds anymore? :-D )

I use from time to time the eQuiet earplugs - they are very effective with high frequencies but still let you hear the surrounding.

Second, the pads on the KS-16B are much harder than on the X8. It's not really comfortable... It's even painful... Has someone added softer pads to his KS-16B? If so, where could I buy some?

Put some foam/padding on the pads? Never had probs with the original pads. Maybe you could change your stance?

Yep - same here! Shortly i tried my ninebot one e+ again - i don't like it at all anymore - way to slow and no power.. ;(

I just bought a KS-16B in order to replace my Airwheel X8. I had my first ride today and I must say that a couple of things really annoy me with it...

First, the high frequency sound it produces while riding. It's really awful ! Is it normal? Can we do anything about it? (except getting old and not hearing HF sounds anymore? :-D )

I came from ninebot one e+ and the ks16b padding was killing my calf. But after a week of riding nonstop I don't feel a thing anymore. The motor noise you'll get use to. Gotway has the same noise as well.

Yes - see more about this here:

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your new wheel. I personally had no issue with the "padding" comming from another wheels.

you can't go wrong with foam on the pads :) but on the pad surface of the KS16 i had trouble finding a double sided tape which kept stuck ... some drops of superglue did the trick. the foam still looks nice after some month and some tumbles on the ground

IMG_5337small.png

you find this kind of foam in ebike stores, stores for interiour/family/parents stuff or on ebay/amazon/alisomething. they are also used to cover up tables and corners to protect small kids/toddlers.

got mine a year ago from this ebayer, 9 € for 2 meter, ~17 € for 4 meter plus 2 or 3 euros shipping inside Europe. there are more expensive ones and probably cheaper ones from china too  http://www.ebay.at/itm/Kantenschutz-Eckenschutz-Kindersicherung-Protector-Baby-Kinder-Tisch-Mobel-/231777897516?var=&hash=item35f70a0c2c:m:mMQRR4bfPHFeSul6M-E2WrA

Got mine 3 weeks ago, a black one.

Because I'm already old, I don't hear the sound. :-)

I also have a Ninebot Mini Pro, but since I have the KS16, my driving time splits into 90% Kingsong and 10% MiniPro.

At the end I think I will sell the MiniPro again, the KS16 has the double range and a speed of up to 30 km/h.

Of course driving the two is very different, and not comparable - if the MiniPro could at least drive 20 km/h over 66% of it's range, I would keep it, but as it currently is it is just to slow.

12 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Got mine 3 weeks ago, a black one.

Because I'm already old, I don't hear the sound. :-)

I also have a Ninebot Mini Pro, but since I have the KS16, my driving time splits into 90% Kingsong and 10% MiniPro.

At the end I think I will sell the MiniPro again, the KS16 has the double range and a speed of up to 30 km/h.

Of course driving the two is very different, and not comparable - if the MiniPro could at least drive 20 km/h over 66% of it's range, I would keep it, but as it currently is it is just to slow.

exactly what i have done :-)

Started with a mini pro...found it boring slow...and went on with EUC's ...Ks14 and then KS16....and now Ks18 :-) And sold the mini pro after i got my first KS....

20 hours ago, wozphil said:

I just bought a KS-16B in order to replace my Airwheel X8.

I also ride the X8 and aiming for an upgrade. KS-16B is a strong candidate. Have you any measures on how far you can ride the KS compared to the X8? What is your weight if I might ask (in Sweden you can ask a man of his weight, but not a woman ^_^)? Anything you're missing from the X8 apart from the silence and softer pedals?

I feel the pedals on the X8 are too small. I'd like a pair that match the size of my feet. How is the pedal size when comparing them?

Hi @Johey

I weight 96kg and as I just received my KS-16 yesterday, I have no comparison yet with how far I can go... All I can say is that with the X8 I was able to ride between 10 and 15kms, depending on the terrain.

Regarding the pedals, the KS-16 ones are longer, which is good as I have long feets (picture attached)

There is still one thing that bothers me with the KS-16... It looks like there are some bugs in the firmware because when you change the lighting mode (Off/Auto/On) through the app (Android), it forces also the activation of the annoying Voice Commands (the "Hello Kingsong" message is really like a pain in the a$$)... And when lights are set to (Always) ON, only front light is lit, not the back one... Back light only works in "Auto" mode.

Aside of that, this wheel really rocks (compared to the X8) !!!

20160810_144244.jpg

Oh, you can really go 10-15 km on a full charge on the X8? Mine warns at 6. I'm 100 kg. Of course, add to that a couple of kg for clothing and backpacking, but is the last few kg's that decisive? Guess I'd better save on a few beers then. :)

Thanks for the photo! That pedals look better. Perhaps the stiffer feeling is due to the pedals totally cover the feet, while the X8 leaves a gap in the middle? Considered trying adding more padded soles in your shoes, provided it will fit?

6 hours ago, wozphil said:

Hi @Johey

I weight 96kg and as I just received my KS-16 yesterday, I have no comparison yet with how far I can go... All I can say is that with the X8 I was able to ride between 10 and 15kms, depending on the terrain.

Regarding the pedals, the KS-16 ones are longer, which is good as I have long feets (picture attached)

There is still one thing that bothers me with the KS-16... It looks like there are some bugs in the firmware because when you change the lighting mode (Off/Auto/On) through the app (Android), it forces also the activation of the annoying Voice Commands (the "Hello Kingsong" message is really like a pain in the a$$)... And when lights are set to (Always) ON, only front light is lit, not the back one... Back light only works in "Auto" mode.

20160810_144244.jpg

There an new firmware update 1.21, some light issues are fixed supposedly as well. 

8 hours ago, Johey said:

Oh, you can really go 10-15 km on a full charge on the X8? Mine warns at 6. I'm 100 kg. Of course, add to that a couple of kg for clothing and backpacking, but is the last few kg's that decisive?

No, 96kg against 100kg shouldn't make a huge difference, slower speed would increase range, for example I only get about 16kM out of my 340Wh battery but that is travelling at an average of 16kph and a max of 25kph. but assuming @wozphil travels at similar speed to you that does make it look like your battery is down on capacity somewhat.

P.S. it is perfectly OK to ask a woman her weight in the UK....

As long as you like hospital food ;-)

8 hours ago, wozphil said:

Hi @Johey

20160810_144244.jpg

this bugs are corrected in the new firmware version 1.21....

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

this bugs are corrected in the new firmware version 1.21....

Does this apply to "when lights are set to (Always) ON, only front light is lit, not the back one" as well? Since I have not yet upgraded my firmware, I cannot check myself.

14 minutes ago, flass said:

Does this apply to "when lights are set to (Always) ON, only front light is lit, not the back one" as well? Since I have not yet upgraded my firmware, I cannot check myself.

I doubt that unless fixed by "accident".

Archived