KS16: issues with app and light settings

flass

Hi all of you!

Something regarding the KS-16 app and the light settings confuses me, I hope anyone can give me some advice on this...

1. First of all, it happens now and then when I open up the app that the language has switched from English to Chinese. I do not know any other way how to change this other than deleting the app and download it again. When I open it after a fresh installation the user interface language is once again English, for some more couple of days, until I have to repeat this procedure over and over. Guess I should add that I am using iOS (iphone 6).

2. The front and rear lights on KS-16, if I switch the light setting to on in the app, the front LED will be constantly throw a white light, while the rear red light is not constantly on? It looks more like it is lit up when the driver is tilting backwards to slow down or breake? Is this an expected behaviour? It is a bit odd to me. I do not mind so much other than for legal reasons, since the law in my country tells that the EUC should cast a constant red light rearward. I am under the impression that this is true for most countries as well.

3. And my final issue with the lights and the app is that it seems that the setting for the lights (ON/AUTO/OFF) will reset itself back to AUTO at some point, perhaps when I shutdown the app and open it again, or maybe when I power the KS-16 off and on, I do not know, but it resets itself frequently to the Auto setting. Why is this and how can I work around this irritating behaviour?

I hope someone can help me with these matters, or at least one or two of them :) Thanks.

7 hours ago, flass said:

Something regarding the KS-16 app and the light settings confuses me, I hope anyone can give me some advice on this...

1. Can't really advice on iOS app as I'm using Android version and that seems to remain English all the time.

2. It actually light up once you ride (not only when you slow down / break) at least that how it works on mine with FW v1.19

3. Yes - this is silly behaviour of the KS-16 mentioned already a few times around here in the forums. It will "forget" the light settings after powering off and revert back to "Auto" which is pretty much annoying as you're unable to switch it back to on (either using mobile app or AUX button directly on the wheel) without suffering loud "Hello King Song!" shout every single time! As I ride always with lights on this irks me greatly :( One option is to tape over the light sensor thus your light will be always on or once you'd need to take the wheel apart for maintenance simply disconnect or bridge over the light sensor.

11 hours ago, flass said:

Hi all of you!

1. First of all, it happens now and then when I open up the app that the language has switched from English to Chinese. I do not know any other way how to change this other than deleting the app and download it again. When I open it after a fresh installation the user interface language is once again English, for some more couple of days, until I have to repeat this procedure over and over. Guess I should add that I am using iOS (iphone 6).

2. The front and rear lights on KS-16, if I switch the light setting to on in the app, the front LED will be constantly throw a white light, while the rear red light is not constantly on? It looks more like it is lit up when the driver is tilting backwards to slow down or breake? Is this an expected behaviour? It is a bit odd to me. I do not mind so much other than for legal reasons, since the law in my country tells that the EUC should cast a constant red light rearward. I am under the impression that this is true for most countries as well.

3. And my final issue with the lights and the app is that it seems that the setting for the lights (ON/AUTO/OFF) will reset itself back to AUTO at some point, perhaps when I shutdown the app and open it again, or maybe when I power the KS-16 off and on, I do not know, but it resets itself frequently to the Auto setting. Why is this and how can I work around this irritating behaviour?

I hope someone can help me with these matters, or at least one or two of them :) Thanks.

Hy,

i am on IOS also...but i did not have any Problem on my Iphone 6plus...(set to Region: Germany since all time) it is always english....

But: On my IPad (which i bought in Asia...(NOW set to Region: Germany)) it always opens in Chinese...and i did not try to download again...will do this evening!

So perhaps it has something toDo with the "Hardware" Version or the Region which has been first installed on the Hardware? Don't know, just guessing....

Number 2 and 3 have been answered by HEC perfectly :-)

15 hours ago, HEC said:

2. It actually light up once you ride (not only when you slow down / break) at least that how it works on mine with FW v1.19

I also have FW 1.19 and I my rear light is going on and off with a logic I can not fully understand, but it looks like it is on when you are not accelerating, otherwise it goes off.... Are you sure that your's are always on? I mean most of the time you cannot observe this and ride at the same time :). I did observe this when I have been looking at my friends riding on my wheel....

Thanks for the tip regarding the light sensor! 

3 minutes ago, vido said:

My kingsong app for iOS also switches to Chinese as well after a while :/

I'm sorry, but it feels good to me to not be alone :) also increases the chances that it might be fixed in an updated release...

16 hours ago, flass said:

I also have FW 1.19 and I my rear light is going on and off with a logic I can not fully understand, but it looks like it is on when you are not accelerating, otherwise it goes off.... Are you sure that your's are always on? I mean most of the time you cannot observe this and ride at the same time :). I did observe this when I have been looking at my friends riding on my wheel....

Well I've not inspected this too much in details but when I push the wheel around the red light is on. I can grab a camera and take some footage during the ride to see how it works and will report back ;)

i have been changing/using a iphone 5SE since yesterday...

as i do not have any probs on the 6plus...now my 5SE also has a chinese version...installing again...then works :-(

what the hell???

5 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

i have been changing/using a iphone 5SE since yesterday...

as i do not have any probs on the 6plus...now my 5SE also has a chinese version...installing again...then works :-(

what the hell???

I know, very annoying... 

8 hours ago, HEC said:

Well I've not inspected this too much in details but when I push the wheel around the red light is on. I can gran camera and take some footage during the ride to see how it works and will report back ;)

Yes, please do! I would appreciate that a lot :) Since when I just move the wheel around with my hands the red light is on for me as well... 

1 hour ago, flass said:

Yes, please do! I would appreciate that a lot :) Since when I just move the wheel around with my hands the red light is on for me as well... 

About to go for a ride shortly so in couple of hours I'd have the video (either of the wheel's tail light or my butt - depends how I will manage to hold the camera :D)

7 hours ago, HEC said:

About to go for a ride shortly so in couple of hours I'd have the video (either of the wheel's tail light or my butt - depends how I will manage to hold the camera :D)

I am eagerly waiting ;)

18 minutes ago, flass said:

I am eagerly waiting ;)

Unfortunatelly once I've got out it started to rain before I've managed to grab the camera so the "show" is posponed till tomorrow :( 

15 minutes ago, HEC said:

Unfortunatelly once I've got out it started to rain before I've managed to grab the camera so the "show" is posponed till tomorrow :( 

No worries! Good luck tomorrow, I think your rear light will behave as mine but I'd love to be proven wrong :)

On 2016-08-05 at 0:45 AM, HEC said:

While waiting for your video, I made my own with a little help of a friend who were riding while I was filming. Watch below how it looks. Is anyone recognizing this behavior or is this only on my wheel? Does anyone have a clue why this happens? Perhaps I should contact kingsong and see what they have to say about it....

2 minutes ago, JumpMaster said:

Is it acting as a brake light? That would make the most sense.

I am not sure, but by observing how it turns on and off I also get that feeling. but apparently that is not in line with what other users here have experienced, so I am a bit confused. That would make a lot of sense, and I like sense when it comes to my EUC :). but ideally I would prefer to have it on all the time, but if this is expected behavior it might be possible to badger Kingsong to implement an option in an future firmware upgrade.

1 minute ago, vido said:

Was watching my friend ride my ks16 while I ride his v5f+ and notice the rear light only shines when breaking v1.20.

Yey! Thanks for that! Makes me happy in a way, since this means my wheel is functioning normally. I read on electricunicyclereviews.com regarding KS-14 that it's rear light is always on but get brighter when you brake. I do not know if that is true, but I would love my rear light so much more if it worked that way on KS-16 as well...

Source: http://electricunicyclereviews.com/start-here/electric-unicycle-reviews-brand/King-Song-14inch-520wh-Self-Balancing-Electric-Unicycle-Review

1 hour ago, flass said:

Yey! Thanks for that! Makes me happy in a way, since this means my wheel is functioning normally. I read on electricunicyclereviews.com regarding KS-14 that it's rear light is always on but get brighter when you brake. I do not know if that is true, but I would love my rear light so much more if it worked that way on KS-16 as well...

Source: http://electricunicyclereviews.com/start-here/electric-unicycle-reviews-brand/King-Song-14inch-520wh-Self-Balancing-Electric-Unicycle-Review

normally the rear light should work as rear light PLUS as brake light....

thats the Ks14/18 behaviour  and should also be on Ks16...i know mine has done that...even with v.1.13

that normal front and rear light behavior is only when it is real dark, and the light sensor jumps in....tape it off if you like all time light!

sometimes....the Kingsongs can hapen small "glitches"...for example: on my Ks18 the normal front/rear light does not function...if bluetooth music is working :-(

so perhaps you have a small "normal rearlight" glitch....or you just found a v1.20 glitch...

9 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

normally the rear light should work as rear light PLUS as brake light....

thats the Ks14/18 behaviour  and should also be on Ks16...

that normal front and rear light behavior is only when it is real dark, and the light sensor jumps in....tape it off if you like all time light!

sometimes....the Kingsongs can hapen small "glitches"...for example: on my Ks18 the normal front/rear light does not function...of bluetooth music is working :-(

so perhaps you have a small "normal rearlight" glitch....

Wow, you are my hero! I really have not considered to tape the light sensor since I expected no difference between doing that when the light setting was set to ON, I thought the light sensor only was used in conjunction with the AUTO setting.

But I think I was wrong, by putting tape on the sensor and doing some small tests on the apartment floor by running with the wheel it looks like it actually works the way I wanted! The rear light looks to be on all the time plus it gets a bit brighter when braking. 

And to me it does not matter so much if the lights are on during daytime as well. So for me this problem is now solved. Praise the adhesive tape! :)

On 2016-08-08 at 1:43 AM, KingSong69 said:

so it seams like another small bug ....app lights switched to ON only work for front wheel...or its a kingsong feature :-)

Surprisingly it seems to be a kingsong feature. Tina told me that it is supposed to work like that (!!). I am thinking about creating a poll here to see how many that prefer that "feature" ;)

18 minutes ago, flass said:

Surprisingly it seems to be a kingsong feature. Tina told me that it is supposed to work like that (!!). I am thinking about creating a poll here to see how many that prefer that "feature" ;)

Yip, can be they understand the "ON" function of the lights as "flashlight" mode...and not for driving  :wacko:

But i also woul be on the other side of the poll B)

47 minutes ago, flass said:

Simple solution - add two options in the app to control the front and tail lights separately and everyone will be happy ;) As many countries require light to be on all the time it seems "illogical" to us to have only front light on anyway.

Just to confirm, on the earlier KS-14C I've got, which has a permanently white front light and red back light.

• The brake light always functions night or day.
  • In auto mode, which I always leave it in, back and front lights come on when it gets dark, the brake light is a much brighter red than the rear light.
  • if I turn the lights on manually during the day with the lights button, only the front white light comes on, the red light acts only as brake.
  • with the lights turned on manually the rear light still turns on as well, once it gets dark, and still also acts as a brake light.
  • Weird quirk, if I turn off the power with the lights turned on manually then the front light stays on and the rear light comes on but at full brake light brightness.
  • one thing you cannot do is turn off the lights when it is dark.

I find being able to turn the front light on with power off very useful to light up the front door  keyhole at night!

The auto behaviour is exactly what I want/expect from a wheel: lights back and front when it gets dark with a good bright brake light when I'm braking. The lack of a decent rear light/brake light on the Inmotion V8 is what puts me off pushing the button on that wheel and leaves me undecided between it and the KS-16.

Archived