EUC cost analysis summary

Tech Nossomy

Before:

• About 120 GBP per month for a public transport card
  • Waiting times for buses, walking to metro stations (time dimension)

After:

• Less than 2 pence for a full charge, ie around 0.5 GBP per month
  • Average speed in city is comparable to public transport, and cost is still about 25 GBP per month for ad hoc journeys

Leaving out the bicycle here (my favorite mode of transport), since it requires physical exercise.

Well - for me it's zero "saving" on the cost part as I still need my pass for the middle bit of the trip via train where no pedestrian or bicycle traffic is allowed however I can always hop on metro or buss in case of really bad weather, drained battery or some other incident prohibiting from riding the wheel for "free" if needed. The main benefit is the saved time and less hassle with full and delayed busses. And of course it's much more fun!

Tech, do you ever get any grief from the police whilst riding around in London? I have to go there in a couple of weeks and was thinking about taking my wheel...

Do you ride about in the centre of town, use the pavements, keep to the side roads...?

thanks in advance

As I have mobility issues the EUC has been my version of a mobility scooter. I commute to and from work, ride to the shops, visit friends/family and go on general rides around my town, along the canal and around a nearby lake and reservoir.

I tend to stick to the pavement but on quiet roads where the path is high or busy I have ridden down the road until I could find a low/quiet section of pavement again.

I have been seen by many Police officers as the drive past or stop at a crossing while I ride across. I have also seen a few on foot and have spoken to them. I have been asked if I enjoy riding and when I mention my mobility issue they think it's great I have found a way to get out and about still and say take care as we part. Only one PCSO stopped me once mentioning that people on his route had complained about cyclists on the path (not me because in my 9/10 months riding I have always been courteous and there have been no incidents) and threatened to fine me if he saw me again. I asked him to check on the legality and get back to me with a definitive yes or no and he hasn't. 

As I don't drive so the EUC saves me my weekly bus fare and also enables me to get out and about any other time I want, which helps mentally as being stuck in previously was driving me mad, so it's definitely cost effective for me.

The reduced commute cost: €500 per year ...
Reduced cost miscellaneous €100 per year ...
Smile on my face :) ... priceless 

7 minutes ago, johrhoj said:

Smile on my face :) ... priceless 

Very much THIS!!! :) I am on my second EUC in just over 9 months with this in mind. My first didn't cover the mileage I wanted once I got into it. The new hits the mileage and speed spots :)

Well I commute in NYC and it costs about $1300 per year for metro cards alone lol

The most important thing that is saved though is time because of all the "Not in Service" buses that pass by everyday,that and waiting time sucks. 

2 hours ago, Wheelie said:

Well I commute in NYC and it costs about $1300 per year for metro cards alone lol

The most important thing that is saved though is time because of all the "Not in Service" buses that pass by everyday,that and waiting time sucks. 

I am in the city too, i dont get unlimited metro cards but i did spend about $100 / month on commuting to and from work. Like yourself i tried to convince myself that riding to and from work saves me all this money, but the reality is 20 mile commute daily is 5000 miles a year. This will warrant many capital repairs for the euc ( especially when someone is 100kg like me). I actually dont think the wheel will live to cover more mileage than that, and as such the savings might to against the full cost of the wheel. So i dont think i am actually saving anything :) 

i still do it because it's so much fun :) 

On 6/30/2016 at 9:38 AM, Tech Nossomy said:

Before:

• About 120 GBP per month for a public transport card
  • Waiting times for buses, walking to metro stations (time dimension)

After:

• Less than 2 pence for a full charge, ie around 0.5 GBP per month
  • Average speed in city is comparable to public transport, and cost is still about 25 GBP per month for ad hoc journeys

Leaving out the bicycle here (my favorite mode of transport), since it requires physical exercise.

Though you omitted the by far largest cost factor of the EUC, the purchase. It's hard to see how you will get away much below 0.1GBP per mile (say, 8000 miles to write off 800 pounds purchase cost, overall probably still a too optimistic calculation). Riding 7 miles per day (i.e. 8000 miles in 3 years) this would be 20 GBP per month, which indeed makes the costs for charging irrelevant.

53 minutes ago, Niko said:

Average speed in city is comparable to public transport,

That is one of the most fun parts of riding for me, when you're in a busy part of a city and can actually go faster on average than cars and buses on the roads. 

On 7/1/2016 at 4:29 PM, Wheelie said:

The most important thing that is saved though is time because of all the "Not in Service" buses that pass by everyday

Having an EUC does give you more options. The Washington DC Metro system is undergoing a lot of repairs and sometimes trains go out of service leaving people waiting on a crowded platform for the next train that might be a 15 minute wait. In those cases I can just grab my wheel, go up to the street, and ride instead of waiting.

Archived