KingSong KS18A

Sam LaRoche

I have a KS-18A that I've had for about 6 months now. I've beat it up pretty bad through several wrecks, some my fault, some from the wheel cutting out. Anyway, I've noticed that there is now what I can only describe as play in the wheel. When moving the body of the unicycle back and forth (front and back, not side to side) there is some gap in where the wheel spin changes direction. It seems there is about ~1-2 inches of movement before the gyros seem to notice the change in direction. It seems to be working okay and I've put ~15 miles on it since I noticed the behavior. After a few wrecks at 15-20 MPH, I am a bit more cautious than I was when I started out so I am a little more careful about charging and paying attention to any strange behavior :) I started to take the thing apart but was having trouble getting the wheel separated from the body and decided to put it back together before actually separating the two. Unfortunately, the play still exists after reassembly. I believe whatever is going on is with the gyros or a magnet inside the wheel. Has anyone noticed this kind of "play" in their KingSong or other EU? Any ideas?

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Thanks for the info Cloud. So even if the play was there before, it certainly wasn't as much as it is today. It is just so noticeable now that I know it wasn't like this a few rides ago. I really notice it when I'm sitting and my legs aren't helping to absorb the ride and weight distribution to the wheel. Makes it feel unsafe to sit on because the wheel acts a little goofy when I hit bumps or dips in the sidewalk. Any idea on what causes it or how to tighten it up?

What country are you in Sam LaRoche ?

Do you have a KS distributor in your country who could test your control board or loan you a board to try ?

Is the problem constant or intermittent ?

Is your wheel an early model with the 500wh motor ?

You dont need to take wheel out to access control board, is located in compartment below the handle. Simply bend the middle of cover plate by lifting both sides of plate until one of the ends pops out of the end channel.

I have the 800w motor. Since I noticed it this morning, its been pretty constant and the issue remains after calibrating. Since these are all but banned here and being on the east coast, not much selection on distributors or anyone that can test it. Found the control board when I took it apart. What might I be able to do to test that it is working properly?

I have limited experience so not the correct person to offer solutions.

IMHO.Can only be one of 3 causes, the board, a phase in the motor, or damaged/loose wiring connection.

most likely a problem with the board and will eventually get worse.

I have a good spare 500wh board and motor, was thinking I could post the board for you to test out... but not compatible unfortunately.

My past experience suggests KS will not help directly so you will be needing the KS distributor for your country

Sorry I can't help further

1 hour ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

I have seen that kind of problem on generics if the nuts that fix the motor axle to the structure are a bit loose. Good luck and please share when you find the solution.

KS wheels are not fastened with a threaded nut as generics, GW etc 

There appears to be a shaft that is secured into the casing by the pedals. This is where I chickened out with regards to disassembly. After removing all the screws from the pedals and casing and it still didn't want to come apart with minimal force, I stopped. I will snap some pics next time I have it apart. At this point, since it appears Ninebot and Solowheel are the only two manufactures allowed in the US, I am just waiting for the Ninebot One Pro. I'll miss the speakers available on the KS but I expect the Ninebot will overall be a better device.

Obviously don't ride it until fix, there are video on YouTube where people disassembled the eu, sounds like the axis needs tightened, I believe ks, uses a clamp like fittings, screws need to be tighten up! You have to take body off....

19 hours ago, Sam LaRoche said:

There appears to be a shaft that is secured into the casing by the pedals. This is where I chickened out with regards to disassembly. After removing all the screws from the pedals and casing and it still didn't want to come apart with minimal force, I stopped. I will snap some pics next time I have it apart. At this point, since it appears Ninebot and Solowheel are the only two manufactures allowed in the US, I am just waiting for the Ninebot One Pro. I'll miss the speakers available on the KS but I expect the Ninebot will overall be a better device.

The Ninebot One Pro will Overall be a better device? i will really doubt that....and i think you will do, too ;-).....The Pro will only have a 360wh Batterie max....and already has had its Problems with heat and fried Motherboards in it's first throw........

@Jason McNeil Can't you help here? My english is a Little to bad so i don't understand the Problem at all.....

Archived