inmotion V3 Pro Ideal Tire Pressure?

h0ts1lk

I weigh 70kg/55lbs

I'm currently at 3bar/40PSI

The tires say between 2.5-4.5bar/36-65psi

Less tire pressure seems easier to ride.  Why would having more tire pressure be beneficial?  I'm asking because I haven't been on different terrains/streets.

Edit: Added my weight

The main benefit of higher tire pressure seems to be that you have better battery life, but I don't know if anyone has quantified it to say whether it is a big deal. I agree that the lower pressure gives a nice softer ride and more control. You can always experiment and see what pressure you like.

1 hour ago, dmethvin said:

The main benefit of higher tire pressure seems to be that you have better battery life, but I don't know if anyone has quantified it to say whether it is a big deal. I agree that the lower pressure gives a nice softer ride and more control. You can always experiment and see what pressure you like.

At 3bar/44psi, it's definitely easy to tip/tilt left or right which doesn't help me as a beginner (I have anxiety tilting to my right).  I can see as a more experienced rider will like that it tilts easily so more advanced maneuvers can be performed.  I can hip twist much easier at this pressure level.

There's also much less grip on the pavement, and it tends to roll away while standing on it's own.

I came from really flat tires (sorry, I wasn't paying attention at the time of inflation) and it was very easy to ride.  I felt pro immediately, but now I realize it was all a lie and I should be upping my tire pressure at the same level of my skill.

Thanks, dmethvin.

13 hours ago, dmethvin said:

The main benefit of higher tire pressure seems to be that you have better battery life, but I don't know if anyone has quantified it to say whether it is a big deal.

Right, I think there were some reports that it makes a significant difference. I would think going from 30 PSI to 50 PSI will typically increase the range by 50%, say from 20km to 30km. The other benefit is longevity of the tire. Longevity is decreased for too low pressure, but I am not sure this is relevant with 70kg at 40 PSI.

I would only go lower pressure as a beginner, but afterwards keep the pressure up, as any vehicle, you get better mileage, you only have so much battery to use... And I glad you bought this over a Q3, you are smarter then me....but I guess I can always sell and get what Ii really want...

On 6/16/2016 at 7:29 PM, h0ts1lk said:

I came from really flat tires (sorry, I wasn't paying attention at the time of inflation) and it was very easy to ride.  I felt pro immediately, but now I realize it was all a lie and I should be upping my tire pressure at the same level of my skil

@h0ts1lk I think you are exactly right.  I found that the pressure gradually goes down and the ride changes.  Today was riding and the tire felt mushy when getting on.  It rode okay but went home and pumped it up from 40 to 55 psi. Went to ride again and was riding way faster, felt more in control but also felt it in the knees more.  @dmethvin I agree and think he should experiment with different tire pressures.  I would say go no lower than 20 psi though.  And only for short time, just to try it out.  Off pavement and in the park the higher pressure means all the little bumps are going in to the knees.  On smooth pavement it's not nearly as bad on the knees.

• 2 weeks later...

I take back riding at 40psi.

I've been riding around with 2.5bar/36psi for the last week and it's been the best combination of stability, control and range.  

But what I really want to talk about is tire pressure vs. terrain.  I'm riding around Jerusalem, Israel which has nothing but uneven cobblestones, hills, slanted sidewalks, and overall just bad engineering.  This isn't your normal first world country with nicely paved and spacious roads, drivers that follow the rules, or large areas for a rider to pick the best path.  

So I'm sticking to the lowest recommended tire pressure because it's the easiest to negotiate the uneven terrain while dodging pedestrians in the malls, narrow sidewalks, and populated shopping areas.  Jerusalem is a small, hilly, and extremely old city.

I'm sure there are worse cities to ride in, and I am definitely not speaking for all riders or terrains.  

So in the end it's first stability because the terrain is going to pop up on me when I'm least expecting it, second it's control so I can negotiate the ancient terrain and packed pedestrian arteries, and last mileage because it's a small city with shortcuts at every turn.  

To me, it's all about the fun factor and satisfaction of riding through a tough city, then being motivated to do it again the next day.  YMMV.

Archived