Ideas on attaching the ACM side panels without screws?

Do you guys have any ideas about how to modify the side panels of the ACM so it can be attached without screws? The screws that it came with were pretty weak and I now have several stripped screws in the plastic standoffs after opening/closing the EUC a few times. So far I've been unable to get the screws out of the standoffs, so I'm looking for some kind of alternative latch system if possible.

I can't remember what they are called, but for a project I placed these metal (brass?) cylindrical inserts that were knurled on the outside with a thread inside.  If the standoff was thick enough, you could place the insert on top and heat it up with a soldering iron which would melt the plastic standoff and allow the insert to slide in.  Once cooled you'd have a metal insert which you could screw a fastening bolt into.  I don't know why they don't do something like that with these EUC's.

EDIT:  Heat set inserts.  Got some info here:

https://www.matterhackers.com/articles/fasteners-for-3d-printing

Metal fasteners seem like such a better idea than the plastic standoffs. I love that idea, but I'm not sure the insert will fit in the already thin plastic standoff. I'll do some measuring.

I'm using the small "industrial strength" Tesa velcro patches (basically with hooks on both sides) - so as long as you have a bit of gap there those would be probably the best solution. I use them for attaching all accessories as well like cameras and lights.

On 1. Juni 2016 at 7:55 PM, Kevin Grandon said:

Do you guys have any ideas about how to modify the side panels of the ACM so it can be attached without screws? The screws that it came with were pretty weak and I now have several stripped screws in the plastic standoffs after opening/closing the EUC a few times. So far I've been unable to get the screws out of the standoffs, so I'm looking for some kind of alternative latch system if possible.

Take a piece from Lego, cut a piece of. Take acetone, mix it, put the fluid Lego part in the hole of the worn out hole. Let it dry and make a new hole - ready.

On 1. Juni 2016 at 7:55 PM, Kevin Grandon said:

Gotway should use iron nuts included in the ABS with metrics screw threads. The ABS is to weak and they use battery drew drivers in the factory and over torquing the screws (time is money). My MSuper had also a worn out hole, as I replaced the battery. The over torqued ABS screw thread material was still on the screw. The torque of the screw drivers should be limited and the speed also. I think the screws getting hot when they're mounted in the factory => ABS getting soft with the heat.

19 hours ago, OliverH said:

Gotway should use iron nuts included in the ABS with metrics screw threads. The ABS is to weak and they use battery drew drivers in the factory and over torquing the screws (time is money). My MSuper had also a worn out hole, as I replaced the battery. The over torqued ABS screw thread material was still on the screw. The torque of the screw drivers should be limited and the speed also. I think the screws getting hot when they're mounted in the factory => ABS getting soft with the heat.

This is completely correct, wouldn't add weight and would be much better

Jer

Archived