Bicycle racing propells ewheel innovation???

Tilmann

5 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

Bad "hide-cheating" technology. :P

Very true! Yet, believing in the fairness of competition cycling was a bit of a stretch anyway :rolleyes: 

Without endorsing this "very special" application: the apparent miniaturization and likely weight reduction makes me curious. Also: as the noise caused by any gearbox would be a dead giveaway, such a small direct drive hub motor must develop an unbelievable torque to turn such a large diameter wheel. Hopefully some forensics on this cheating technology goes public. The good thing: they likely didn't apply for a patent ... :lol:

I found them for sale the other month, they're basically fairly mundane high RPM RC car motors, the complex part is the gearing it had custom made metal gearing with 2 planetary reduction gears in a tube, then it had to have a carbon fiber bike frame built over it. Power to weight ratios is much higher on low torque high RPM motors, so they can't use slow high torque direct drive motors.

Chatting to my brother, a keen cyclist, about this he was saying it's not only motor technology that the pro-cycling community have so far failed to keep up with it is also modern materials. To prevent dangerously weak bikes there is a lower limit on racing cycle weight. These days that is 2Kg higher than the bike a man in the street can walk into a shop and buy so they have to add weight to racing bikes to be legal. Might as well add that weight in motor and batteries;-)

16 hours ago, Tilmann said:

as the noise caused by any gearbox would be a dead giveaway, such a small direct drive hub motor must develop an unbelievable torque to turn such a large diameter wheel. Hopefully some forensics on this cheating technology goes public. The good thing: they likely didn't apply for a patent ... :lol:

Beautiful helically cut gears as in the video @SlowMo showed won't make a noticeable noise over the bikes own gear train and high torque isn't needed as these motors are designed to give the rider an advantage - not actually drive the bike. Ideally you don't want them working at all from a standstill as that would be a bit of a giveaway. If a racing cyclist can maintain 400W of power then if the motor was only adding 40W they would have a 10% advantage, I suspect it manages a fair bit more than that.

9 hours ago, Keith said:

If a racing cyclist can maintain 400W of power then if the motor was only adding 40W they would have a 10% advantage, I suspect it manages a fair bit more than that.

I think he says 150W in the vid (0:58).

10 hours ago, OliverH said:

Like this?

For the spin at 2:27 it's hard to see any other explanation than that there is a motor in the bike. It's amazing how a whole community can apparently entirely ignore such obvious evidence. 

Archived