How to fix worn screw holes in the case?

I had problems with charging and or my batteries. I got replacement batteries from my dealer and while opening the case to pull the batteries at least one screw was over torqued in the factory and only sit in the hole with the plastics spindles around the screw.  The hole is now to big for the screw. So if I close the case again I need to fix that issue. I thought about using glue (what kind of glue would work best?) put in the hole, let I dry with the screw put in or fill the hole and make a new hole? Or is it better to just put a piece of a match in the hole? That's not the way I like it. Any advice?

I didn't close  the case as I'm waiting for an offer/ upgrade to 880 Wh from @1RadWerkstatt

By the way. It looks like that my charger of the Gotway works different when the IPS and Ninebot charger are put in the same power block beside. Charging the Gotway without the others put in resulted in a way better charging level.

i simply made a bit of relatively thick abs-acetone slurry, pushed some into screw holes, waited 2 days for it to dry really well and drilled new hole afterwards. cheap and easy, works great. you can typically buy acetone at pharmacies (it melts abs and pc plastics)

44 minutes ago, Tomek said:

i simply made a bit of relatively thick abs-acetone slurry, pushed some into screw holes, waited 2 days for it to dry really well and drilled new hole afterwards. cheap and easy, works great. you can typically buy acetone at pharmacies (it melts abs and pc plastics)

This is good advice, but at least here, no need to visit a pharmacy, you can get pure acetone of the shelf in construction/hardware stores. ABS might be actually the harder to source "ingredient" here. ;)  Maybe order pure ABS-filament for 3d-printers from some webstore, it shouldn't be too expensive.

8 minutes ago, Tomek said:

you can just throw a lego block into acetone... it's abs

ps

@esaj acetone from a pharmacy is usually much better quality

At least here you can get "chemically pure >99%" -stuff from hardware store for something like 6€ per liter. Don't know if the pharmacy stuff is even purer, but in this kind of use, I'd expect 99+% to be enough? ;)

24 minutes ago, esaj said:

At least here you can get "chemically pure >99%" -stuff from hardware store for something like 6€ per liter. Don't know if the pharmacy stuff is even purer, but in this kind of use, I'd expect 99+% to be enough? ;)

ow, in Dutch hardware stores they often sell really low quality ones or not at all. i even once bought a bottle labelled acetone which chemically was something else, and didn't dissolve plastic at all.

18 minutes ago, EUC Extreme said:

So wait a minute. Can you specify.
Did I understand correctly? Put Lego in acetone. It softens, and then the hole can be patched?

yup, it melts completely and becomes a goo - use a closed, glass jar, with PET lid, to melt it - it stinks and is toxic

the less acetone the thicker, i was able to build up entire broken off plastic parts with it, just takes a long time to dry and shrinks in the process

here's an example of two screw mounts on my wheel which broke off and which I've entirely rebuilt with acetone-abs slurry (left: original screw fittings strengthened with a bit of ABS slurry, right: entirely rebuilt fittings on the other half of the shell). after 6 months the parts still hold - they are much stronger (thicker walls) than the originals, of which two more broke off in the meantime upon crashes.

the advantage of this method over epoxy (or any other 2-component glue types) is that it basically melts and fuses into the existing plastic. not sure though how the strength exactly compares.

for those who want to try it, I've noticed that if you apply the ABS slurry as one big blob (5-10mm diameter) it takes forever to dry (days) and becomes a bit porous. The better approach is to apply thinner layers and wait for them to dry in between.

hm2 copy.jpg

Archived