Best e-unicycle to go uphill

Uniwheeler

They all seem to have pretty good hill climbing ability, of course it will depend on the rider's weight.  I climb bike ramps near my house all the time and they are at about a 45 degree angle. I can't recall anyone using the major brands who has said, "I had to get off and carry my wheel up the hill". Climbing (or descending) steep hills for several continuous minutes at at time may cause overheating though, the King Songs seem to have that issue reported more than others. If that happens you may need to stop and let it cool down.

Thank you Dmethvin..  as a 37 y  experienced uniwheeler i  do ride quite well, and i have tried a Firewheel 260 which i also ride well , now i like to really get my feet on power, not so much in speed and as in force. Am going to ride a 210 meter tall spiral path, made from bricks, inside the Roundtower of Copenhagen, next months and i like to present the ultimate best in quality , since it is a anniversary event.. - The Royal Roundtower UniRacer Rally Race  35 years. So which electric unicycle would you recommend, dont  reflect upon the price, please if you can give me a few options and more, if possible a European seller.

@EUC Extremecould be not to far from your area and experienced in "extreme" driving.

also resellers from the netherlands should be present here - and of course many members who can hopefully give you the necessary advice.

the ultimate best in quality can be a bit hard to find, if it really exists. Euc's are by now not mature - every wheel has some probs, some more some less. 210 height meters should not be any prob for recent wheels...

even my 9bot e+ could handle this - depending on the incline maybe very slow but steady ;) (edit: at least i would believe in it)

7 hours ago, dmethvin said:

I climb bike ramps near my house all the time and they are at about a 45 degree angle.

I don't think there are ANY eucs that can climb 45 degrees.  My KS14C could barely do 15.  (could be due to the soft pedal issue)  MCM2S (madden) could barely do 25.  Maybe you mean percent grade and not degrees?  Visually, slopes always look steeper than they actually are if you measure it.

I've driven a couple of EUs for test. I had with the MSuper the big impression that this can push me up hill also at sommer temperature where I ever had problems with my old IPS or other wheels. With the old IPS T340 I couldn't get on some inclines the whole distance or only very slowly. I would say all new with 800+ W are good for hill climbing.

There's only a different with the battery: Allmost parallel (Kingsong) or real parallel (Gotway). Parallel batteries are mandatory for hill climbing. Trust only 680 Wh or beyond ;)

Kingsongs having a heat problem, because of this the KS16 got a cooling fan. I had self an overheat situation after a downhill trail with a KS18. I got an alert and it tilted smoothly back that I stepped off. It tilted to normal after cooling down.

If possible try it first if someone arround you have such a wheel you like to buy. Make your tests and decsision. Try it at least 20 degree celsius.

I personally ride a MSuper (680 Wh, upgraded to 880 Wh soon) since a month, wy wife will get a KS16 (680 Wh) soon.

13 hours ago, John Eucist said:

I don't think there are ANY eucs that can climb 45 degrees.  My KS14C could barely do 15.  (could be due to the soft pedal issue)  MCM2S (madden) could barely do 25.  Maybe you mean percent grade and not degrees?  Visually, slopes always look steeper than they actually are if you measure it.

Yeah, only one way to tell. I'll get down there (maybe today) with my inclinometer app and get a real reading on it. 

4 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

Yeah, only one way to tell. I'll get down there (maybe today) with my inclinometer app and get a real reading on it. 

Actually if it's just a short "bike ramp" as you said then maybe it's indeed 45 degrees and can be climbed up with the help of existing momentum.  But there is no way you can sustain going up a 45 degree slope.  Not even 30.

I've measured my driveway as 18° dropping down to the road which is 17°as it passes the end of my driveway. All my Gotways and my KS14 800w can go down and up as could my IPS132'S which is quite a feat if you consider that the road is a country lane with no pavements and is quite busy so that you normally have to stop before going up the road.

OK I'm back from the ramp, should have taken a picture but duh I forgot. The inclinometer measures it as a pitch of -71, which I think means it's a 21 degree incline from the horizon or a grade of 36. That is basically the same grade as the world's steepest street which is either Canton Avenue in Pittsburgh USA or Baldwin Street in New Zealand depending on who you ask. Of course the bike ramp is only about 8 feet long so I don't think my EUC is gonna overheat from that!

It makes me wonder if I could make it all the way up Canton Avenue, it's about a 4 hour drive from my house to Pittsburgh. It would be fun to try, as long as it didn't shut off halfway up~

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

So have you ever climbed that staircase?

This is the street I was talking about, besides the monster incline the top half of the hill is paving stone just to make it that much more challenging.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Avenue

It's part of a bike race course every year.

I was able to climb the 25 and 23 degree one with the mcm2s (a year ago when those stone blocks below were not there) but not the 30 one.  The motor just cuts with the 30 one.  The slope in your video looks like about 15 degrees tho.  Does your inclinometer app not do degrees so we can be certain?

On 04/13/2016 at 11:15 AM, dmethvin said:

They all seem to have pretty good hill climbing ability, of course it will depend on the rider's weight.  I climb bike ramps near my house all the time and they are at about a 45 degree angle. I can't recall anyone using the major brands who has said, "I had to get off and carry my wheel up the hill". Climbing (or descending) steep hills for several continuous minutes at at time may cause overheating though, the King Songs seem to have that issue reported more than others. If that happens you may need to stop and let it cool down.

A 45 degree hill is a 100% gradiant.

With a 100kg or heavier rider not a single unicycle exits what would go up from stand still ( starting speed of 0) or go down without having a faceplant.

Not even regular cars or trucks could go up a 100% gradiant.

If you trully believe such a unicycle exist show a video, rider over 100kg and starting speed at hill 0.

On 04/15/2016 at 8:09 AM, John Eucist said:

I was able to climb the 25 and 23 degree one with the mcm2s (a year ago when those stone blocks below were not there) but not the 30 one.  The motor just cuts with the 30 one.  The slope in your video looks like about 15 degrees tho.  Does your inclinometer app not do degrees so we can be certain?

John what is your weight? Climbing ability of a EU is higly dependent on rider weight since the EU is only about 20% or less of the total weight.

On 14.4.2016 at 3:53 AM, John Eucist said:

Then driving up the copenhagen tower (210m height) could mean: With a staircase diameter of 5m (circumference ~15m) - 80 full staircase "widings" (2,6 m clearance) this would be very very roughly a lenght of 80*15+210~1.5km. So about an Percent grade of ~14% (?~8 degrees?) which could be reasonable?

There should be tracks in my surrounding with quite similar grades, which i could try with my 9Bot E+ to get an idea of "weak" EUC behaviour for such tasks.

Edit:

Just cooling could get a problem. Yesterday i drove about 95 height meters within ~900m distance and the E+ climbed steadily to 55°C - the higher the temperature difference, the more efficient the cooling, but a bit more then twice the height and only 15°C temp margin ( temp warning/cutoff/tiltback is about 70°C?) could be quite tight:

41 minutes ago, OleTC said:

There is some misunderstanding here. The Tower is approx. 35m from street-level to the platform. There's a brick-covered ascend which might be 210 m long. But not that steep.

Round tower

Ahhh... Then maybe an Airwheel could make it, too ;)

@Uniwheeler- just any quite actual wheel (~>500W, ~>250..300Wh) will make this as nice impressive performance (depending on your riding skill). So either choose the one you like and you are comfortable with or let a more or less local reseller provide you something nice giving him the opportunity for some marketing!

Archived