Which EUC feature should make a comeback?

Posted (edited)

I read a comment on the forum the other day about the motor with gears from Iron Korea, and it made me think about lost and extinct features on EUC that I thought were cool then, and that could be cool if they came back in a more modern, and well-executed fashion. 

1. The gears in the motor of the Iron Korea or Rockwheel (can't remember which) was pretty cool. It could climb steeper inclines than any other wheel at the time, but was probably discontinued because of issues with said gears breaking. I don't think we'll see this as we already have torque and tile motors, which seems to be a more economical option.

2. Non-suspension wheels. The OG troglodyte way of riding EUC as god intended: Sure it's gonna cost you every bit of ligament anywhere close to the knee joint, in the long run, and sure you may develop a bit of chronic pain over time, but for being 100% connected and in control it's completely worth it. Non-suspension, performance wheels are probably never coming back though. Closest we got was V13 that had the option of buying some extra kit to ride without suspension, if we ever see non-suspension it'll probably be in this conversion-kit form.

3. Gotway RS19 style front (white) and rear (red) LED strips, with the rear (red) strips doubling as brake lights. This basically has to happen eventually for road safety. AND PLEASE DON'T INCLUDE SOME RGB OPTION!!! It should be hard locked to white headlights and red taillights. 2024-07-07_050103.thumb.png.0b883e454a57d28b42eec9c4afa3b3ba.png

4. I don't know how well these new magnesium alloy bodies hold up in high speed crashes, but if they don't, maybe going back to the Reciowheel/Sherman bullbar would be smart... Simply using Lynx style handles will negate a huge amount of damage to the body.

5. Central handle with motor cut-off switch: As much as I absolutely LOVE the handles on the Lynx and Sherman L, and as much as I believe those handles should be copied by every company, for every model they ever make, I still want a central handle with a kill switch. The handle wouldn't have to protrude upwards like on the RS19, you could just make a 3rd Lynx type handle with a built in switch on the underside, and place that in the (top)middle part of the EUC body... That way you wouldn't even need the rear handle anymore to carry the EUC with both hands.

What features do you miss the most, and do you think we'll ever see them implemented?

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 3

By far what I miss the most in newer wheels is having a USB port. I’ve seen its coming back with the Kingsong F-22 (and USB-C at that!), but I don’t believe Begode has anything planned regarding it. Seems crazy to me to have such big batteries in modern EUCs but not even be able to charge my phone for Darknessbot. Even my Mten-3 has a USB port, lol.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JakeWheels said:

By far what I miss the most in newer wheels is having a USB port. I’ve seen its coming back with the Kingsong F-22 (and USB-C at that!), but I don’t believe Begode has anything planned regarding it. Seems crazy to me to have such big batteries in modern EUCs but not even be able to charge my phone for Darknessbot. Even my Mten-3 has a USB port, lol.

Well at least Gotway have hot charge ports so you could bring one of those 1000W inverters they make, to power a phone charger... Sure it's not ideal, but it IS still possible, but I agree we need USB ports back on our wheels.

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, litewave said:

Sleek aesthetics!

The mechanized robot design has its place, but there are almost no *new* wheels that are sleek, smooth, and round (the new dualie by Inmotion is smooth but looks fat). The KS-14D and Inmotion v8 are still available, but all of the newer wheels have essentially a factory robot look.

I miss Ninebot and their smooth, sleek, and sexy shells. 

I feel there's something about the Z10 design we should have explored more, that thing is still the most futuristic looking wheel to me. The old ninebots still look so iconic! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I love the 16S/18XL symmetry look. The “front/rear lights” that can serve both functions depending on which orientation you’re going along with the ambient light sensor makes everything feel seamless once you power it on. These wheels  had a much cooler presence imo, like some otherworldly device.  Current wheels have adopted that traditional-standard-common-boring "vehicle industry" design too much.
I also miss pedals that could fold flush into the side panels.

Probably my biggest hot take would be thin profile wheels (2.125-2.5") - Tesla T3 was my first wheel and that thing had the most unique ride feel of everything I owned. I just wish the tread lasted longer, and the panel clips didn't break off immediately when servicing..

Edited by slippyfeet
  • Like 2

they should add a AC/DC outlet on one (like that have USB ports), then i can use it a UPS battery back up system

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kintips said:

they should add a AC/DC outlet on one (like that have USB ports), then i can use it a UPS battery back up system

I agree! In internal inverter, is something I'm been talking about here for years! Check out this thread if you're interested in how to make a system like that for yourself. This mod I came up with allows you to use the EUC battery + inverter +  isolated dc/dc converters as a powerstation, allowing you to charge EUC with solar panels, or discharge it into the inverter giving you AC plugs. As much as I want to talk about that feature, this thread is for lost and extinct features of EUC :D (only works for Gotway wheel, other companies don't have hot charge ports)

Edited by xiiijojjo

Has anyone seen the new blitz promo video that dropped today? They brought back the RS lighting in the front and from the video it looks like they blink when you are turning. But they only blink in the front which kind of defeats the purpose.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

Has anyone seen the new blitz promo video that dropped today? They brought back the RS lighting in the front and from the video it looks like they blink when you are turning. But they only blink in the front which kind of defeats the purpose.

Yeah I love to see wheels with this feature, and I hope to see it revived by other models adopting this feature in the future. 

I did not know that it acted as turn signals and that sounds so absolutely braindead to me since the left and right strip are so close to each other, and cars are not familiar with whether or not it's blinking left or right, they may not even have any idea what an EUC is. ALWAYS rely on CLEAR hand signals. FULLY extend your arm to signal a turn, or hold up your left or right arm out to the side as if you're being sworn in to signal braking. ( may be different for your area, but this works for Europe)

I hope they have a setting to have it work like on the RS19, making the rear LED strips flash even brighter when you brake. The front light is unaffected by braking.
This would be ideal for road safety and visibility. 

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Upvote 1

I want lighter weight EUCs to return, which can be accomplished by using solid state batteries.  While I don't really know that much about battery science, I have read that solid state batteries are 1/3 the weight of lithium batteries.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Carey said:

I want lighter weight EUCs to return, which can be accomplished by using solid state batteries.  While I don't really know that much about battery science, I have read that solid state batteries are 1/3 the weight of lithium batteries.

They have developed a battery that uses no metal whatsoever and that is a game changer. Its still in development so probably 3-5 years before we see these in EuCs

On 7/7/2024 at 6:36 AM, xiiijojjo said:

1. The gears in the motor of the Iron Korea or Rockwheel

Yes, just a single gear though. Gearings have the potential to scrape quite some weight from the motor, which is indeed my preferred comeback feature: < 15kg wheels which are not only toys. Noise and durability are the technological challenges with a gearing which may be hard to overcome.

2. Non-suspension wheels.

Yes, < 15kg wheels are most likely non-suspended.

5. Central handle with motor cut-off switch

Yes, I have it since 2016 and never looked back. On a 50kg wheel it probably doesn't make much sense though, because it's difficult to lift with a single handle anyways. If I bought a new wheel and found out that it doesn't have an "automatic" kill switch when lifted, I'd probably be pretty pissed.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mono said:

Yes, I have it since 2016 and never looked back. On a 50kg wheel it probably doesn't make much sense though, because it's difficult to lift with a single handle anyways. If I bought a new wheel and found out that it doesn't have an "automatic" kill switch when lifted, I'd probably be pretty pissed.

^ Only reason i don't like Facon. Makes me very sad. :( 

No need to be "automatic" even, simple button that user can press with thumb while carrying the wheel by centered handle. A2/Mten5 design. Would be good enough. But yes "automatic" option is the best!

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

Side LEDs

Buy christmas light and put them all around your wheel..

???

Profit. :D 

If you take your time - you can make whole wheel look like a light bulb. RGB light just makes everyone think, that you are ridding child toy. :D 

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was interesting to have the soundwave feature, I would have liked it more if it was independent of other Bluetooth functions 

how about a well written user manual in english.  the user manual will include a section on the various features of the firmware,  and how to change the parameters, and what changes the parameters have on the euc performance.  and im not talking about eng-grish... im talking about ENGLISH.  hire some experienced translator and also hire a copy writer as well.  damn,  with the money we spend on our rides,  we should be expecting a user manual that we can understand and actually use.  and also have the manufacturers website contain a customer support menu that is easy to use and contains manuals on discontinued models as well,  along with a well organized section containing firmware updates.  some manufacturers are getting there,  but it can always be better...

32 minutes ago, bpong said:

how about a well written user manual in english.  the user manual will include a section on the various features of the firmware,  and how to change the parameters, and what changes the parameters have on the euc performance.  and im not talking about eng-grish... im talking about ENGLISH.  hire some experienced translator and also hire a copy writer as well.  damn,  with the money we spend on our rides,  we should be expecting a user manual that we can understand and actually use.  and also have the manufacturers website contain a customer support menu that is easy to use and contains manuals on discontinued models as well,  along with a well organized section containing firmware updates.  some manufacturers are getting there,  but it can always be better...

I would settle for an English version online...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2024 at 11:14 AM, bpong said:

You are welcome to learn Mandarin and apply for the job

• Haha 1