Mandatory insurance for the EUC in the Czech Republic from 2024/04/01

Thanks for sharing the news and info. That is very good news for you guys, and it must be nice to have gained some legitimacy and accident protection for what I have to say is an extremely reasonable cost !! Were they to start that over here in the UK I can guarantee you the cost would be like 10 times that at minimum !! Even so I would happily pay it to not be criminalised for merely using a form of transport...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 3

Life in Europe looks increasingly like a nightmare for anyone who isn't a cyclist.

If this happened in Denmark, I would actually entertain thoughts like moving to China.

9 hours ago, FF9F00 said:

Life in Europe looks increasingly like a nightmare for anyone who isn't a cyclist.

If this happened in Denmark, I would actually entertain thoughts like moving to China.

9usd per year to take one step closer to being legal sounds like fantastic progress. No?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FF9F00 said:

It sounds to me like an absolute win. It's already compulsory here in France, and mine is a bit more expensive at 35€ per year, but I'm also covered against theft and damage to the wheel (as well as of course myself and others). It feels quite good to be able to show cops that you are insured, it stops the conversation right at the start and makes them able to distinct between reckless riders and level headed ones.
All my wheels are insured against all risks, it is so cheap for the peace of mind it gives.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, FF9F00 said:

Have you heard of license and insurance on mopeds? EUCs today are more powerful and faster, essentially same as 125cc light motorcycles. Just missing a wheel and mechanical brakes. Mandatory insurance is mainly there to cover damages to other people on public roads. It makes sense that EUCs are treated the same as mopeds. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Have you heard of license and insurance on mopeds?

It's the reason why I have stuck with bicycles and e-scooters until now. If I need to pay all sorts of taxes per year to own an EUC, then it's back to bicycles for me. Or moving to another country with more freedoms.

Edited by FF9F00

This is because an EU directive that requires all vehicles to have traffic insurance which is a good thing I suppose, we've had a law in Sweden since December for this which resulted in most insurance companies finally offering traffic insurance even for EUCs (which they didn't before) and they are also pretty cheap.

17 hours ago, FF9F00 said:

Please explain why this is a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

Please explain why this is a bad thing.

I don't believe in insurances, they are scams on a large scale to enrich a set of shareholders and maintaining the livelihood of a bureaucracy. The money should stay in my pockets.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't care for insurance also..

From first April in my country we need to register every "pev" like e-bikes, e-scooters.. Yet there isn't a option for EUC's - so i don't care. Give me an option and maybe i'll do it.... Otherwise GTFO! 

And scooters only going 25km/h and 1000W or less motor. :D My 18xl is 2X times more powerful. :D 

Edited by Funky

20 minutes ago, FF9F00 said:

I don't believe in insurances, they are scams on a large scale to enrich a set of shareholders and maintaining the livelihood of a bureaucracy. The money should stay in my pockets.

Traffic insurance is to protect another party in case of accident, it's purpose is to cover hospital bills for either you or the other party as well as cover property damage.

Imagine you run someone over sending them to the hospital, the insurance will cover their hospital bill, if you are the cause the money shouldn't stay in your pocket.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Imagine you run someone over sending them to the hospital, the insurance will cover their hospital bill, if you are the cause the money shouldn't stay in your pocket.

Your scam doesn't work in my country. Emergency rooms are free over here, I don't need to be scammed by a corporation to pay for a hospital bill that doesn't need to be paid for.

6 minutes ago, FF9F00 said:

Your scam doesn't work in my country. Emergency rooms are free over here, I don't need to be scammed by a corporation to pay for a hospital bill that doesn't need to be paid for.

First of all, in your country, which is also mine, nothing is free. You simply pay it as a part of the taxes.  Secondly: If you are at fault for an accident where there is either personal injury or damage to buildings etc. etc. then the injured party or their insurance company can demand that you cover the costs - it could e.g. be a $ million compensation for the old lady you ran down on your wheel and who now due to a hip injury must be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life.   And since you (stubbornly) do not believe that insurance is of any use, there is only one person to pay, YOU.

Thirdly, Good luck moving to China :cheers:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robse said:

First of all, in your country, which is also mine, nothing is free. You simply pay it as a part of the taxes.

I'm not a kid anymore, you can't trick me into paying the bill twice.

7 minutes ago, FF9F00 said:

Well then it´s time for a smoke and a pancake.

21 minutes ago, FF9F00 said:

Could have fooled me.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

Everyone here is welcome to move to the Wild West! I will sponsor anybody here! :lol:

NM must have some of the most beautiful highways and secondary highways available for euc riding !!!

• Thanks 1

Wow, 9 Euro per year. Insurance is not compulsory (or available) here but million dollar 3rd party injury lawsuits judgements are not unheard of. I'd be happy to pay that 9 Euro in an instant.

Re: FF9F00 distaste for insurance company scams. I can understand a bit. Here superannuation is compulsory.(12% of income) The companies running these superannuation funds include insurance. Not published but mentioned in a senate report they pay out only 11% in compensation of what they take in fees they charge for the insurance. So yes, it is a scam. 

But 9 Euro for EUC insurance? That is a bargain to be covered and worth it for peace of mind.

Also FF9F00 China? I think your social credit score would quickly restrict you and any freedoms you hoped for. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DavidB said:

Also FF9F00 China? I think your social credit score would quickly restrict you and any freedoms you hoped for. 

It couldn't possibly be worse than in the west were I risk annual taxations on my EUC, then they're going to demand annual taxation on my bicycle, an then they might even demand taxation for the air I breathe and force me to wear a mask if I don't cough up the money:rolleyes:

Besides I always secretly wish I could work for Begode and the others.

Wow, some official must have rubbed you up the wrong way. China is interesting but I remember the lockdowns there were really strict. I've read if you get offside with the authorities you can't even buy a train ticket. But then you'd have your Begode wheel...,

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Robse said:

First of all, in your country, which is also mine, nothing is free. You simply pay it as a part of the taxes.  Secondly: If you are at fault for an accident where there is either personal injury or damage to buildings etc. etc. then the injured party or their insurance company can demand that you cover the costs - it could e.g. be a $ million compensation for the old lady you ran down on your wheel and who now due to a hip injury must be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life.   And since you (stubbornly) do not believe that insurance is of any use, there is only one person to pay, YOU.

Thirdly, Good luck moving to China :cheers:

Knowing how the "Justice System" Works.. Any good lawyer can make even sweet old lady look like a vicious monster!

Example that old lady you just run over.. It wasn't the driver mistake. The lady simply walked if front of his car, because she was suicidal, on drugs, etc.. (Doesn't matter that driver where driving on sidewalk and run over a family of five, before that old lady.)

AI will make a dam good footage showing how that lady jumped in front of car.

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

but to look more legal in the eyes of traffic police for 9usd a year. That's money well spent.:D

What if we simply are legal by default, and don't need to pay a mafia to convince ourselves we are legal? Wouldn't that be even better?

2 hours ago, FF9F00 said:

What if we simply are legal by default, and don't need to pay a mafia to convince ourselves we are legal? Wouldn't that be even better?

So who pays third parties? If eucs are exempt from insurance, what about motorcycles or cars? Should they all be?

The problem is you can get yourself in debt for the rest of your life if you make a mistake or get ill in traffic or your vehicle breaks down at the wrong time.

Your grandpa's leg surgery has to be postponed until 18y old Jerry saves up the money to pay for it, after they collided in traffic. :rolleyes:

Edited by alcatraz
  • Upvote 1