Leatt dual axis pro, broke first day.

Heres a tip for beginners,  I'm learning to ride and bought some Leatt dual axis pros, the day I put them on for the first time I went to practice on my street and fell off and dropped a knee (on some grass!) and this happened...

https://imgur.c1om/a/PzFEwmN

the sprocket that connects the shin to the knee broke on both sides, it wasn't a hard hit but hard enough. I've never heard of this happening on the previous gen leatts.

Did it save my knee? I guess so but if you're learning it might be better to grab some cheapie knee gear from Amazon so you don't lose it in the first day like me :efee8c29ce:.

• Like 1

I would report this to Leatt, the previous model was indeed reliable and strong enough to survive dozens of crashes. Even if it's just a freak accident (and they don't get any more reports), they might at least send you a replacement (you could ask for the previous model!)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I just upgraded my Leatt's to these, a few weeks ago. Hopefully yours were defective. They do have a warranty, which I would pursue. Let us know the outcome.

• Like 2

There are some slightly worrying reports coming in already about these new Leatts.

On the 5.5 version the centre knee section is smooth, so it slides in a crash very easily. But because the new one is so heavily cut-out people are finding it grips the road and tips you forwards on to your face rather than letting you slide it out in superman pose. And now this report about the fixings coming adrift, which almost never happened on the old ones, even after years of use and loads of spills. Have to say, unimpressed so far, but rather against my will - have been a bit of a Leatt fan for a while, but recent moves they have been making dampen my enthusiasm for them.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

On 3/16/2024 at 9:48 PM, Cerbera said:

There are some slightly worrying reports coming in already about these new Leatts.

On the 5.5 version the centre knee section is smooth, so it slides in a crash very easily. But because the new one is so heavily cut-out people are finding it grips the road and tips you forwards on to your face rather than letting you slide it out in superman pose. And now this report about the fixings coming adrift, which almost never happened on the old ones, even after years of use and loads of spills. Have to say, unimpressed so far, but rather against my will - have been a bit of a Leatt fan for a while, but recent moves they have been making dampen my enthusiasm for them.

I'd want to see some numbers. One instance of a broken joint does not make a trend. Or maybe there have been "many" broken ones that I have heard of??? Same with the anti-sliding tendency.

You may certainly be right, but I'm not seeing the numbers yet.

Leatt got back to me about a warranty claim, since they were involved in a "crash" they don't cover them so to me it looks like if you fall on your knees those little gears are designed to snap and no more working knee guards.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kreed said:

Leatt got back to me about a warranty claim, since they were involved in a "crash" they don't cover them so to me it looks like if you fall on your knees those little gears are designed to snap and no more working knee guards.

Hmmm. The suspicious mind might presume that Leatt realised that no1 was buying replacement 5.5 Dual Axis guards after crashes, because they never broke, and wanted to do something about that in the next iteration - 'we'll make them much more fragile, so they need replacing after every little spill'. There is A LOT of corporate arseholery of that type around these days alas, and I hope Leatt haven't started doing it too...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 6:48 AM, Cerbera said:

On the 5.5 version the centre knee section is smooth, so it slides in a crash very easily. But because the new one is so heavily cut-out people are finding it grips the road and tips you forwards on to your face rather than letting you slide it out in superman pose.

Anyone who has some thought capacity would know that and could imagine the outcome.. Smooth vs Cheese grater. Hmm.. I do wonder which one will slide and winch will not. :efeee20b79:

Sure if one is ride on smooth asphalt/concrete, then the Cheese grater wont matter that much. But off-road, etc - where sticks, sharp stones and what not are. Or better yet one falls on broken glass or nail. Say goodbye to your knee. :efef62fc70:

If i would use knee guards - i would take solid ones, not a cheese grater.. That's for sure.

Edited by Funky

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hmm, that's a bit lame of them.

Sure, protective gear is supposed to break before the rider does. But it shouldn't be that fragile! A learning drop on grass shouldn't break it.

I Agree, when I get better at riding and I need higher end knee protection it won't be these dual axis pros.