'HOUNIN' EX30 -30mm pedal hangers

I have an adjustable version for the ex30. It uses a plate mechanism that is similar to his adjustable version that is for the extreme. My only gripe is that his hole sizing for the pedal rods was a bit large and allowed the pedals to have an annoying slop to them. Not the end of the world and it can be mitigated with a 3d printed spacer. I did give the feedback to him so hopefully that is resolved moving forwards. I also noted the same grub screw deal that you did. I hope it holds up...

What sort of date did you order your Hou hangers? I'm just wondering if he did indeed mod the drill diameter for the pin holes on later hangers. I must admit that on mine it doesn't seem too bad, not far off the stock hangers tbh. If it gains movement over time I will prob shim the gaps either side using metal washers/shim stock to get things a little tighter, I presume thats what your 3D printed spacers try to achieve.

Thanks for sharing the experience. I find the suspended EUCs high pedals to ruin the riding pleasure a bit, and am glad these hangers exist. Not everyone is spending their time jumping on rocks, I at least dont need that much clearance. I'm considering getting the ones for the EBCP but the price and the sharp inner angle (rounded would be better to avoid tear) are holding me back.

image.jpeg.fd87f4b34d1accb702896d7956036ab1.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 9:24 AM, Planemo said:

What sort of date did you order your Hou hangers? I'm just wondering if he did indeed mod the drill diameter for the pin holes on later hangers. I must admit that on mine it doesn't seem too bad, not far off the stock hangers tbh. If it gains movement over time I will prob shim the gaps either side using metal washers/shim stock to get things a little tighter, I presume thats what your 3D printed spacers try to achieve.

I ordered mine at the beginning of December and they arrived early January. These are the adjustable pedals though, so they are likely a tiny bit different than the standard "dropped" pedals. Your description of the washer/3d printed shim is exactly what my spacers do, I just didnt have the correct size washers so I printed something that would work.

IMG_5484.JPG

• Like 1

Swopped out the grub screws, one benefit of the longer ones is that the 5mm hex is also deeper making it less likely to round out. The new ones didnt mark up at all after fitting unlike the original ones which as can be seen, were marked after only one installation.

Looking at the hanger I think it might have been better to tap the side facing you (in the pic) rather than under, or even on top (although asthestically less pleasing). Both areas seem to have a bit more meat than underneath which will always be compromised in thickness due to the necessity of the access hole for the middle mounting bolt.

We'll see, prob wont be a problem at all and its not like I'm jumping the thing around anyway.

1000016236_resized.thumb.jpg.922662f1dd0787f613b8fb7a84fa56c0.jpg1000016237_resized.thumb.jpg.ef226d6a245ee2027552932427ffdd52.jpg

• Like 1

An unfortunate end to my current experience with HNN's adjustable hangers. I did post this in his telegram but he has not gotten back to me yet. I certainly hope he will refine his design and send me replacements. As it currently is, the quality is sorely lacking and I cannot recommend them to anyone. For some reason the video uploaded in some crap resolution but it should be enough to get the point across.

Edited by Whalesmash
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

I agree, thats shocking. Nowhere near enough supporting metal especially when you take into account the bloody great hole in-between 2 of the mounting bolts (which I assume is an access hole for something?)

That said, I'm fairly confident that the radically different (and far stronger) design on my non-adjustable EX30 hangers couldn't suffer from this problem but I really appreciate you bringing up your experience with what I presume is the Master adjustable hangers.

Lets hope Hou comes up with a solution for you, and if were me that means an almost total re-design or at least a different material. The only time I would possibly expect a hanger to deform is from a catastrophic tumble on a hard surface. Even super hard off-road riding shouldn't compromise anything - hangers are too critical a part and should be engineered way beyond the sort of forces that a standing human can apply to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

appreciate you bringing up your experience with what I presume is the Master adjustable hangers.

Nope, he said they were EX30 hangers at the beginning of his vid. And they don't look like Master pedal hangers either, which are of an altogether different design to that.

My bad! Odd though, I have never seen adjustable hangers on Hou's website for the EX30. I also didn't see the central bolt hole on the vid either. In fact, the more I look at the vid the more confused I am...because the stock (and my) hangers use 5 retaining bolts, not 4.

Edit: just looked at one of his earlier vids - this adjustable setup uses a separate mounting bracket which explains the confusion in mounting!

Edited by Planemo

I really would like to lower the pedals of my EBCP but as I mentioned earlier I was worried about a sharp corner at the wrong place. This regretfully settles it; confirming my suspicion that the engineering of these things wasn't fully mastered.. Too bad really..

• Sad 1

I can understand your concern but I think it really comes down to the implementation of each design as they are all very different. I have zero concerns about my non-adjustable EX ones and looking at your pic of the EBCP they at least do not have the large central hole in line with the mounting bolts that @Whalesmash has. Also, the CP ones look a bit thicker but it could just be the angle.

I'm not trying to push any hangers in the slightest, and with the adjustable EX ones being clearly unfit I can see your concern. Maybe you/I could take a more educated guess at strength if we had some more pics of the CP ones.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Planemo, I'll do some more staring at the pictures.

I still dont like that corner but I'll ask Hou if he's doing them on order, and if so he could leave that corner rounded.

Edited by null

12 hours ago, Planemo said:

I can understand your concern but I think it really comes down to the implementation of each design as they are all very different. I have zero concerns about my non-adjustable EX ones and looking at your pic of the EBCP they at least do not have the large central hole in line with the mounting bolts that @Whalesmash has. Also, the CP ones look a bit thicker but it could just be the angle.

I'm not trying to push any hangers in the slightest, and with the adjustable EX ones being clearly unfit I can see your concern. Maybe you/I could take a more educated guess at strength if we had some more pics of the CP ones.

The hole in the center is to allow access to the bolt that runs through the main suspension drive tube. My feedback to him is to 1) use thicker metal, especially without the center milled out (who cares if its heavier) and 2) go with a higher grade metal. I think the main issue here isn't necessarily the access hole but more so with the severe lack of material due to how thin the plate is. 

If Hou isn't able to provide a solution that I am confident in, I'll just cut my own mounting plates out of thicker and higher grade aluminum. The upside to the design is that the adjustable plates are very easy to substitute with your own design (though I hope I will not have to do this, and frankly I shouldn't have to either). 

In regards to the non-adjustable types, this should be a non issue. I wouldn't be worried about this happening with any of those.

Edited by Whalesmash

6 hours ago, Whalesmash said:

The hole in the center is to allow access to the bolt that runs through the main suspension drive tube.

Yeah cheers I managed to suss that after I saw your previous vids of the hangers. And yes, just having the plate without the milled out section would help a lot I feel. Or simply thicker as you say. Or...simply make them out of steel. Heavier yes but...

Ultimately your video speaks volumes, I also would like to think that the evidence is so overwhelming that Hou will quickly come up with a solution and send it to you asap rather than you having to sort the problem yourself.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2024 at 8:26 AM, null said:

I still dont like that corner but I'll ask Hou if he's doing them on order, and if so he could leave that corner rounded.

Did you find out anything from Hou on this? I am also interested in lowering the pedals of my EBCP.

On 1/28/2024 at 6:45 PM, Whalesmash said:

The hole in the center is to allow access to the bolt that runs through the main suspension drive tube. My feedback to him is to 1) use thicker metal, especially without the center milled out (who cares if its heavier) and 2) go with a higher grade metal. I think the main issue here isn't necessarily the access hole but more so with the severe lack of material due to how thin the plate is. 

If Hou isn't able to provide a solution that I am confident in, I'll just cut my own mounting plates out of thicker and higher grade aluminum. The upside to the design is that the adjustable plates are very easy to substitute with your own design (though I hope I will not have to do this, and frankly I shouldn't have to either). 

In regards to the non-adjustable types, this should be a non issue. I wouldn't be worried about this happening with any of those.

Was a solution offered?

9 hours ago, Gkindy said:
On 1/28/2024 at 2:26 PM, null said:

Did you find out anything from Hou on this? I am also interested in lowering the pedals of my EBCP.

I asked if he could make the same pedal hangers but with the inner corner rounded, and he said just yes but didn’t say if it would count as “custom” price or just regular (It shouldn't take more time to CNC and its just one change). So, being on a tight budget, I chickened out and left it there for now. If you feel like it you can just talk to him on Telegram, the link is on his website. (I’d be glad to know if you get a price from him).

Edited by null
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Gkindy said:

Was a solution offered?

I don't think they (Asia) are entirely back from the holidays yet, so there has been no solution from HNN yet. I didn't feel like waiting so I made my own mounts out of 2x12x0.625 in 6061 aluminum stock. I've been a lot rougher on my own DIY solution and there's not even the slightest hint of bending. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Magman116 said:

Does anyone know if the Hou EX30 hangers will fit the Master?

Couldn't tell ya where I read it but I believe the answer is no....

@Cerbera would you happen to know where to get lower hangers for the Master, other than out of Russia?

I love my Master, but feel I could get better acceleration with lower pedals. HouEUC has 50mm lower hangers for the Master, but those would be too low for me with all the off road riding I do.

52 minutes ago, Magman116 said:

@Cerbera would you happen to know where to get lower hangers for the Master, other than out of Russia?

Yes - Hou also makes those, and I believe you can ask him for custom jobbies ! :) I am still dithering about whether to order mine from him. Every time I get a windy day I really wish I had them, but on days where it's calm I really like extra height of the Master. Its a proper dilemma ! Also, there is some question about how much effort it is to get the guy to send the right screws, which doesn't inspire confidence, although I do hear unanimously reassuring reports about the metalwork itself, which I am told is very high quality.

But I have been in (brief) dialogue with him about them and do have his email address from which you can order if that helps, which is ningninghou8@gmail.com... 

Edited by Cerbera