My Veteran Lynx Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

3 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Airport weather history is easy to dig up... 

The benefit of tracking atmospheric info in this case (btw, DA helps reduce all of those numbers you listed down to a single metric) would be in baselining for comparison, not just a one-off measurement...

1 hour ago, Paul D said:

If your flying in a helicopter it’s useful, not important for euc riding. 

It's useful for much more than that...

Aside from the simple avation-related useage to help calculate takeoff/landing speeds, fuel requirements, and runway-length considerations, it's also used to help calculate things like:

1. Effects of parasitic drag on overall fuel-efficiency and/or effective range (airplanes, auto racing, etc.)

2.  Range/trajectory of a bullet in-flight (e.g. - simple example is using a known projectile ballistic coefficient & starting velocity, combined with an accurate and localized measurement of atmospheric density) - e.g. - changes in atmospheric density produce noticeable (range/energy-consumption) effects even with tiny and aerodynamically engineered objects.

I have no idea how pronounced the effect would be on EUC battery range/consumption without at least some comparitive data (perhaps quite a bit), but can't see any way for it to be zero...

Mods:  I don't want to derail Marty's review thread, so perhaps the DA discussion would be best split off separately.

Edited by Cyberwolf

Our first extensive off-road testing of the Lynx along with some comparisons to the S, Patton, Master, and Extreme.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Lynx now has 4 spring weight options, including 58lbs:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fbhb said:

Lynx now has 4 spring weight options, including 58lbs:

The 58-lb option would probably be good for women, etc. since the 62-lb spring feels good for 170 - 200 pound riders

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The 58-lb option would probably be good for women, etc. since the 62-lb spring feels good for 170 - 200 pound riders

Exactly right, I know I have seen Melody comment, probably on Telegram, that the 62lb on your Lynx is too stiff for her!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

ya, ur insane marty. as one broken ankle to another. i watched most and i'll go back, but yeah, on that terrain and slope, u run as low of a tire pressure that the motor/battery can turn. a street tire inflated properly would have u on ur butt with those rocks. glad u like the lynx and i hope they turn out perfect. a2's hurt this type of transportation use. rocks are hard. falling on those rocks has gotta be nasty. 

and yeah, u definitely need different tools for different tasks, that's all wheels are to me. a big storm is coming in and i wanted to retrieve my tractor from my hill where i'm building my wheel training facility and pro shop, and i was debating which wheel would be better in this gusty wind blasting across the pasture. so i took my backhoe loader and left it on the hill and brought back the tractor. smart move. 

i don't care how good u think u can ride, that wind can/might put u on ur ass, and honestly idk which wheel would be best. i'd guess the 120 pound v13's. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Lynx range test along with miscellaneous observations of this now favorite wheel of mine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Thank you, nice and useful video. The result is as expected. They seem to let single cell go well under 3.0v, which is not common. It used to be only some KS models that went down to 3.0v. I guess that's what the low voltage mode does. 

Personally I average around 14 Wh/km on my S22 riding about same speeds or a bit slower and I'm 72 kg (158 lbs) naked. I've done 100+ km on a single charge. Based on this I'm expecting to get 120 km on Lynx. I'm mostly sitting so there's less drag. I thought my mileage was low but you seemed to get about the same 22Wh/mile. 

Let me take the opportunity to thank you for always including metric values in your videos and forum posts. Very much appreciated. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great mid-January ride with the Lynx. 101-miles with one mid-ride fast charge.

• Like 3

@Afeez Kay graciously provided me some desperately needed better pedals for my Lynx. And, as a surprise, new lowered pedal hangers. Maybe a first for the Lynx?

• Like 2

Thanks for testing the lower pedals. I’m interested in how they affect turning behaviour and stability. On my S22 lower pedals had a drastic difference on ride feel. Especially for relaxed long rides and seated riding. 

BTW, I also have that DeWalt gyroscopic screwdriver. Felt like a proper fit to work on gyroscopic vehicles. Works surprisingly well. One of my favourite tools. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 1:43 AM, UniVehje said:

Thanks for testing the lower pedals. I’m interested in how they affect turning behaviour and stability. On my S22 lower pedals had a drastic difference on ride feel. Especially for relaxed long rides and seated riding. 

BTW, I also have that DeWalt gyroscopic screwdriver. Felt like a proper fit to work on gyroscopic vehicles. Works surprisingly well. One of my favourite tools. 

You say that the lowered pedals had a "drastic difference on ride feel". You didn't say whether is was a good or bad difference??? :)

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You say that the lowered pedals had a "drastic difference on ride feel". You didn't say whether is was a good or bad difference??? :)

Well, I guess it’s a matter of taste. For me lower pedals felt more familiar, made the ride more planted and turning easier. So definitely a good difference. :)

Have you gathered more experience on your new pedals? 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:21 PM, UniVehje said:

Well, I guess it’s a matter of taste. For me lower pedals felt more familiar, made the ride more planted and turning easier. So definitely a good difference. :)

Have you gathered more experience on your new pedals? 

Very little - V14 & S16 are consuming my time lately :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That black charger looks like the same that comes with S22 also. A generic cheap charger. The fan on those often becomes noisy. 

• Like 1