My Veteran Lynx Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Marty Backe

41 minutes ago, Cyberwolf said:

Thanks for all the info and perspectives!  

One question: would you be able to begin capturing Density Altitude as part of your range-testing processes? (formal or informal, either way would be awesome!)

The altitude is captured on all of my rides (see range test above). I don't know what "Density Altitude" is and I'm sure I can't do that :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lynx Runs Hot

I've been noticing that the Lynx runs about 10° Celsius hotter that my more recent Begode/Extreme Bull wheels. Basically, always above 40°. I haven't done any extended climbs with it yet so I don't know if there are heat issues. But I'll be monitoring it.

I'd prefer a wheel that stay's in the lower 30's when not being stressed.

For instance looking at the Commander Mini range test data (same weather and range conditions as the Lynx test) it was always running in the 20's!

30 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Lynx Runs Hot

I've been noticing that the Lynx runs about 10° Celsius hotter that my more recent Begode/Extreme Bull wheels. Basically, always above 40°. I haven't done any extended climbs with it yet so I don't know if there are heat issues. But I'll be monitoring it.

I'd prefer a wheel that stay's in the lower 30's when not being stressed.

For instance looking at the Commander Mini range test data (same weather and range conditions as the Lynx test) it was always running in the 20's!

If only you had a really steep, long hill nearby to test it on........

Because of your videos, I'm getting very close to sending in a deposit on one of these.  Any comment on how this rides compared to a Sherman S?

Edited by wstuart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The altitude is captured on all of my rides (see range test above). I don't know what "Density Altitude" is and I'm sure I can't do that :)

Density Altitude is used to measure how "thick" the air is, and is basically an aggregate of altitude, pressure, temperature, and humidity...

It's used for all kinds of things, and there are plenty of apps for tracking (would be awesome if euc.world tracked this!). 

I think it would be a great data point for your range reviews, as it's a vastly better metric than altitude alone for figuring how to translate/baseline the range test results in a geographically-agnostic fashion....

Anyway, just a thought...Thanks!

Edited by Cyberwolf
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cyberwolf said:

Density Altitude is used to measure how "thick" the air is, and is basically an aggregate of altitude, pressure, temperature, and humidity...

It's used for all kinds of things, and there are plenty of apps for tracking (would be awesome if euc.world tracked this!). 

I think it would be a great data point for your range reviews, as it's a vastly better metric than altitude alone for figuring how to translate/baseline the range test results in a geographically-agnostic fashion....

What would it be useful for? To know how much aerodynamic drag he has while riding? I just checked what this is on Wikipedia, first time that I heard about it, so only guessing

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tomallo said:

What would it be useful for? To know how much aerodynamic drag he has while riding? 

Exactly so.  It allows one to much more accurately predict/track how much general/baseline drag there is, thus providing a range "handicap" (for lack of a better way of putting it).

For example, I notice huge change in wind-drag and range depending on if I ride with arms tucked in or not.  Even then, and either way, there's a basic level of "drag" to the air, and my guess is that there may well be measurable impact on range depending on just how much there is...e.g. - I would posit that the air where I live is significantly thinner than where Marty lives, and all else being equal, I would expect some greater range here as a result.

DA provides a simple and direct metric to baseline this effect

Edited by Cyberwolf

39 minutes ago, Cyberwolf said:

I kind of figured that's what you were asking but frankly, unless that's something that existing apps provide, I can't imagine putting time and effort into gathering it. I appreciate your desire from a geek perspective, but I only have some much time and life is getting short :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wstuart said:

If only you had a really steep, long hill nearby to test it on........

Because of your videos, I'm getting very close to sending in a deposit on one of these.  Any comment on how this rides compared to a Sherman S?

Oh, I'll be testing more, but I find it interesting that it runs on the hotter side relative to many other wheels.

5 hours ago, Cyberwolf said:

For example, I notice huge change in wind-drag and range depending on if I ride with arms tucked in or not.  Even then, and either way, there's a basic level of "drag" to the air, and my guess is that there may well be measurable impact on range depending on just how much there is...e.g. - I would posit that the air where I live is significantly thinner than where Marty lives, and all else being equal, I would expect some greater range here as a result.

Define "huge" please.

I'm familiar with low oxygen concerns at higher altitudes.  But is the air really thin enough to make a measurable difference in vehicle ranges? :huh: Especially differences large enough to affect either purchase decisions or comparability of different testers' range test results?

Fascinating.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Seba said:

It's a matter of temperature sensor location. I wouldn't worry about Lynx giving bit higher temperature readouts, as it directly measures MOSFET temperature (same with Sherman S and Patton), while Begode wheel in most cases report IMU chip temperature, which is way colder that MOSFETs. If you take a look at second page of EUC World, you'll notice that actuall there are three temperatures measured at different points - microcontroller, IMU (gyroscope) and MOSFETs (this temperature during ride will be highest and it's the key temperature to monitor, it's also the temperature shown on the main screen). Temperatures of 60 - 80 Celsius are nothing harmful for MOSFETs, so nothing to worry with max temperature of 43 °C that you experienced during a range test :) 

Another thing worth to note is that MOSFETs that are rated for higher voltages have also higher drain-source resistance, what may increase heat losses. But it's not a general rule, especially that higher system voltage translates into reduced currents flowing thru the motor windings.

Thanks. Good information.

I'm certainly not worried about 43° but I'm hoping that when I actually stress the wheel the temps don't climb into the 70's :)

On 11/17/2023 at 3:59 PM, Cyberwolf said:

capturing Density Altitude as part of your range-testing

Airport weather history is easy to dig up... Marty's Lynx range test was about 3pm on Nov 16th, so that's: 

Time

Temperature

Dew Point

Humidity

Wind

Wind Speed

Wind Gust

Pressure

Precip.

Condition

2:53 PM 68 °F 57 °F 68 % VAR 3 mph 0 mph 28.94 in 0.0 in Fair
3:53 PM 69 °F 57 °F 65 % CALM 0 mph 0 mph 28.94 in 0.0 in Fair
4:53 PM 67 °F 56 °F 68 % CALM 0 mph 0 mph 28.95 in 0.0 in Fair

https://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KPOC.html 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 5:44 PM, Tomallo said:

What would it be useful for? To know how much aerodynamic drag he has while riding? I just checked what this is on Wikipedia, first time that I heard about it, so only guessing

If your flying in a helicopter it’s useful, not important for euc riding. 

• Like 3