Not a good day for Onewheel...

Cerbera

Oh dear oh dear - worldwide recall of ALL models just popped up on the BBC !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66984278

Seems a bit harsh that people with old boards that can't be firmware updated only get a $100 voucher towards new purchase !

But what worries me more about this is the reason for their recall - 4 deaths (3 unhelmeted) merely as a result of overpower / overlean - you know, the sort of thing we too are at risk of on a daily basis if we don't know what we are doing... I am kind of curious as to why they got pressured into such a drastic recall for something that has surely always been the case, and can be mostly circumnavigated with the sort of armour we all wear ! 

Here's an informative video for those not keeping up there...

As they say in the video it is interesting that the recall is based on the user-error component of these accidents, and NOT because of that mental ghosting thing they occasionally do, where they fire off at full speed even after user dismount.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

The recall is because the cutout resulted in deaths and numerous other injuries. This is also a good example of why we won't see any American EUC manufacturers. 

An issue I see with is that Future Motion likes to advertise the "free spirited" riding. For example: open face bicycle helmets and minimal to no pads. And from what I've seen in group rides, a lot of drunk one wheelers always crashing into each other... Then thinking it's funny and for some reason glorifying crashing.

Anyway, future motion seems like they have 2 options if they want to stay in business for the long run: 

1. Move the company overseas and continue producing underpowered devices (both battery and motor).
  2. Up their game and produce a wheel with a stronger motor and more battery capacity. With more safety features built in like beepers, haptic feedback, and having a motor that's powerful enough to practically eliminate nosedives (onewheel cutouts). They'd need a powerful motor but limit it in performance so that they can use the reserve to fight the rider from overpowering it. 

It's either those 2 options or fight all the lawsuits. Imagine if someone else dies from a cutout after they upgrade their firmware... A lawyer is going to see this recall and the fix from Future Motion and go to town. 

IMHO

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Selling underpowered crap did bite them in the ass eventually!

I wonder if they are done for. Because I have difficulty seeing them getting back into business without designing a completely new Onewheel with performance compared to modern EUCs. Something they didn't feel like doing for the last 5+ years.

I am not a fan of any self balancing PEV being recalled/banned. Not saying that the Onewheel is the best designed product, but there is the risk of EUCs getting incorrectly associated with Onewheels, much like some people still think hoverboards and EUCs are the same type of vehicle. The plus is that they have improved their board feedback so folks have a better indicator of when they are hitting the limit, but the new safety technology is not going to be applied to their first two releases (which are still ridden to this day).  

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 7:41 PM, alcatraz said:

I promise that the company will be moving out of the U.S. so they can operate like the others and offer competitive pricing.

Where would you move HQ to? Asia ( not PRC) Mexico? 

TBH I'm amazed they have survived as long as they have - I've always thought that format was a rubbish idea for a self-balancing PEV. A skateboard front rim hovering inches from the ground, where it is practically begging to snare itself on rocks and pavements, kerbs, and slopes, and where you push it even closer to the ground in order to accelerate ! Couple that with the awkward sideways-on-but-facing-forward stance, making long distance riding uncomfortable and as the icing on the cake throw in some random ghosting behaviour making it fire itself into old ladies' legs at maximum speed, and I am left flabbergasted that anybody thought this was a good idea, either originally, when the first one rolled off the line, and for this long afterwards !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We must not be too hard on these one wheelers,
they are after all a bit like "us", loving the freedom of
riding towards the sunset with the wind in their hair,
snacks by feet and joint in hand, not straigth just a bit side by side.....

Crazy invention or not - for me scooters are at least as crazy, just
look at the ridiculous little handlebars and tiny wheels.

But I understand them - it's kind of the same as snowboarding,
which is quite fun,  once in a while, but skiing is the best.

• Like 3

Oh yeah, no offence to anyone doing it ! Just really surprised it got past the design stage, and remains as popular as they undoubtedly are ! If the epic scale of their meet-ups are anything to judge by, a hell of a lot more people have those than EUCs ! It just remains a total mystery to me why that is the case ! :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Oh yeah, no offence to anyone doing it ! Just really surprised it got past the design stage, and remains as popular as they undoubtedly are ! If the epic scale of their meet-ups are anything to judge by, a hell of a lot more people have those than EUCs ! It just remains a total mystery to me why that is the case ! :)

the reason: take a euc, power it up, hold it upright, and let go. Bang, falls to one side spins up, lots of beeps, burnt rubber... frightening! Take a onewheel, power it up, and it just sits there on the ground, waiting for you. Easy 😁 and more appealing. And the learning curve is not as steep as an euc.

It's because of One Wheels that I ended up with EUC's so I have to give FM credit for that :lol:. I was on the hunt for something to transition to from E-scooters and I was really leaning towards getting a One Wheel GT. I eventually stumbled into the world of EUC's and ended up with a V11 instead. I'm happy I did although I suspect a OW would've been a lot of fun too. I do own the EUC equivalent of a OW which is the MTen4.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 2