Do Mten3 tubeless tires just always fail?

tenofnine

Mine currently holds air for a few hours then magically when I'm not looking it's flat....

No hissing, no signs of a puncture or the valve stem leaking, and it seems to be seated ok.

I'm wondering if all other Mten3 owners experience this always (I've noticed most content creators suffer the same fate). I'm guessing most of us are too heavy for the wheel/tire.

Are tubeless tires actually better on this lil guy?

If it wasn't so hard to change the tire I wouldn't mind, BUT dang....I'm getting frustrated with mine.

Edited by tenofnine

Make water test submerge tire to water close to rim an watch where leak is. Be careful not conact any electronic into water and overinflate tire before test to be shure leak show self. 

After this check store Mten3 on safe place and not charge 24+ hours to avoid any water damage on electronics.

130 Kg here mten4 no leak at all keep presure 100%.

Maybee after time tire can have some microleaks but still water test show you where is.

Edited by DjPanJan

3 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

Spray bottle with water and a bit of dish soap . Your welcome.

Yea I learned this 25 years ago, there are no leaks....have no idea what's going on with the tire this time.

I believe the Mten3 tires are just doomed to fail every 3-6 month, see the same from every other owner.

I have a brand new tire on my MTen3. The first month I could inflate it with my low power compressors. The tire then went flat and would no longer seta on the rim with my compressors. I was on the verge of buying a new tire thinking that maybe the beads on the mounted tire were bad and ended up resolving the issue by using the compressor at a local gas station. I pumped it up roughly 3 weeks ago and have not touched it since. It has lost a good amount of pressure, but it is still mounted and ridable. I believe that there is a seepage issue with the rim and tire. I tried tubeless tire sealant from the local bike shop, it did nothing to help with the seal and it ended up making a big mess.

Yea i tried that too, there is a jiffy lube (car shop) right near me and they were nice enough to try and seat it with their compressor. Solved the issue for a very short time.

Thinking about just giving up might just be having bad luck, I love this wheel but I don't think it's viable for adults.

Same here, all your complaints can be confirmed. In the 1st 18 months everything was fine, then my 10-inch tire deflated quite quickly and for no reason over time. External influences can actually be ruled out, since I only drive this little pocket rocket in my basement. Bubble check under water also lead nowhere. I also wonder if the tubeless concept is somehow doomed to failure, but I can't say why my (also tubeless) Z10 still keeps up with applied pressure.

Some time ago, Marty published a video showing the conversion of the mten3 to tubeless tires. Maybe it would have been better the other way around? On the other hand, I really don't feel like this mess.

I would be happy if someone here had a feasible solution :rolleyes:

There are glues for tubeless tires to make them seal and stay on the rim. If I had an Mten with this issue, that’s probably what I’d try first.

Worth noting that the Mten tire has a very small air cavity, so it needs much more pressure than bigger tires. If you’re running yours at 30psi or lower, it might not need other reasons to deflate.

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2023 at 12:49 AM, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

Does this adhesive mean products like "Slime" and their derivatives

No, they are just sealants. While they usually work for this as well, there are actual glues as well. Look for “rim cement”.

• Thanks 1

Ok I found the issue this time....it's the tire valve. I suspect this has always been the issue since I have never gotten a flat on the safe paths I ride. 

Will be trying shoe goo since I have use it successfully on metal-rubber situations, and if that doesn't work I guess I'm buying some instant gasket.

35 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

Will be trying shoe goo since I have use it successfully on metal-rubber situations, and if that doesn't work I guess I'm buying some instant gasket.

Before any of that it would be recommended to first try to tighten the valve core, and if that doesn’t help, to replace the core. New ones are available from every bike repair shop and even some general stores that sell bicycle stuff. You do need a special tool for tightening and removing the core though.

• Like 1

Already did all of that...

Bought a valve core tool 10+ years back came with 4 cores.

Even bought some new ones and tried those in case the old ones had bad rubber.

I'm the kind of person that exhausts every single easy solution to obvious problems before doing anything rash or permanent. Been riding mountain bikes for decades and have dealt with almost every scenario that is similar to EUC tire issues.

And if it's not something in my knowledge wheel I look it up on Youtube before coming here.

Again this is the final proof I've needed that the Mten3 is just not meant for adults, it's fun but it's a pain. Only wheel out of the 6 I own I have tire issues with. I mean the tiny tire says plain as day "don't pump over 30 psi and don't ride if weight over 155lb", not a joke.

Might sell it to someone short, or skinnier, or a younger person.

At any rate i'll let the goo set up the full 72 and report back a final time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow, you’re admirable thorough! That’s very rare. They weren’t mentioned in this thread so I wanted to make sure that the obvious ones haven’t been missed. Well, at least they might serve someone else reading this thread.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 7:58 AM, tenofnine said:

it's the tire valve

Will be trying shoe goo

Just install a new valve stem
It's rather easy: since there is no tube, you can crush the tire with a clamp and swap the stem without disassembling anything...

And I like latex-based rim sealant for mounting tubeless.