looking forward to the V14... hope its suspension doesnt kill the ride sensation though...

bpong

ive been following the V14 thread in the inmotion forum and it has got me abit excited about riding a nice new suspended wheel.  unfortunately i will be using it primarily on city streets and bike lanes but still,  those road surfaces sometimes have major imperfections too.

i did test ride a few suspended wheels early this summer and i found it a weird feeling cause i didnt feel any real severe jarring or roughness under my feet.  its like the difference between my partners little honda fit and my old 99' 4runner....the fit is a nice comfy ride,  but my old 4runner is a very very stiff ride and i feel the road imperfections alot more.  i think its going to take me abit of time to get used to a suspended wheel cause its the removal of the riding surface bumps and undulations that is going to take abit of time to get used to.  i enjoy the feel of the road and if that gets subdued thru the use of suspension,  it may make my ride abit less interesting and less exciting.

i enjoy a scoop or 2 of vanilla ice cream with various nuts and some dried fruit.  having just vanilla ice cream is abit lacking... cant wait for sept. 1, ...

5 hours ago, bpong said:

i think its going to take me abit of time to get used to a suspended wheel

Absolutely it’s going to take you some time. But don’t buy a crappy suspension because it feels more familiar. You’ll get used to a good one no problem.

6 hours ago, bpong said:

i enjoy the feel of the road

What do you mean by “the feel of the road”? The bumps? You can adjust the compression damping harder to feel more of them. Though I personally see zero point in wanting to feel the bumps. Do you specifically aim for the bumps and cracks while you ride?

A key point of suspension on EUCs is that you no longer have to track the road with 90% of your concentration and 10% of fear for your life in case you miss a bigger bump in the shadows. You get a LOT more time to watch your surroundings, see approaching cars earlier, watch the summer skirts etc. The safety aspect has many sides to it.

An EUC with suspension is still an EUC. The aspects that you enjoy the most may change a bit, but if anything, I feel that suspension  makes riding less dull. It’s much more interesting to watch where you are than to continuously just scan a narrow section of the road and feel the jarring bumps and shakes all the time you ride. And to be exhausted early because your feet are toast from the constant shaking.

6 hours ago, bpong said:

my old 4runner is a very very stiff ride and i feel the road imperfections alot more.

Your 4runner still has a suspension. Just sayin’… ;)

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

An EUC with suspension is still an EUC. The aspects that you enjoy the most may change a bit, but if anything, I feel that suspension  makes riding less dull. It’s much more interesting to watch where you are than to continuously just scan a narrow section of the road and feel the jarring bumps and shakes all the time you ride. And to be exhausted early because your feet are toast from the constant shaking.

Your 4runner still has a suspension. Just sayin’… ;)

mrelwood,

thnx for yur reply !  from what you describe, i think i will be adjusting the suspension to retain some of the qualities of a non suspended ride.  that alone will give me the intro into understanding how to adj the suspension.  as for riding and how suspension will change how i ride, well, im pretty sure i will still spend the majority of my time scanning the road ( instead of 80-20, it could be 65-35) and perhaps abit more time enjoying the ride as yu point out.

I definitely dont want a riding experience that is devoid of all road irregularities and undulations.  if the suspension adjustments allows the rider to feel more of the road, then i will be a happy rider indeed.

• Like 1

Even with the softest of suspension you feel irregularities just not as harsh, but as @mrelwoodalready said you can tune dampening, essentially you could almost lock the suspension out and make it super stiff with full dampening (which seems kinda pointless).

If I read between the lines it reads more like it's a big change and you don't llike changes. 😉😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Even with the softest of suspension you feel irregularities just not as harsh, but as @mrelwoodalready said you can tune dampening, essentially you could almost lock the suspension out and make it super stiff with full dampening (which seems kinda pointless).

If I read between the lines it reads more like it's a big change and you don't llike changes. 😉😂

i got so used to riding a non-suspended euc for the past 5 years,  thats why im abit leery of suspension.  but the euc tech keeps going forward and i must see for myself what the fascination in euc suspension is all about.  as an example of that, just look at the hundreds (if not thousands) of postings about suspension over the past few years...some of it factual, the remaining are either praises or questions about it,...

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

once you get used to it you don't want to go back

Oh I dunno. I still do lots of enjoyable riding on my V10F despite having my other two suspension wheels. It may be different with the Sherman S and newer wheels by my suspension wheels have so much friction and so much unsprung mass that on the surfaces I ride on it is often difficult to tell the difference between suspension and non-suspension.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

Oh I dunno. I still do lots of enjoyable riding on my V10F despite having my other two suspension wheels. It may be different with the Sherman S and newer wheels by my suspension wheels have so much friction and so much unsprung mass that on the surfaces I ride on it is often difficult to tell the difference between suspension and non-suspension.

Oh yeah, it's a night and day difference between good and bad suspension also.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

That was how I felt when I test rode the Commander Mini. I was riding the Commander Mini and my V12 back to back in a parking lot. But when I got on a V11, it was so much smoother than my V12.

Commuting in an urban setting, you did not feel your V11 was better than your V10F going over speed bumps, potholes, and other road surface imperfections, even when new and dialled in, and riding above a regular bicycle speed?

Edited by techyiam

24 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

There’s a reason why most transportation has suspension now. All those imperfections and rough patches shouldn’t be things that you even need to be aware of while riding. I can’t tell you how many holes, bumps, curbs, tracks I’ve simply just rode over without much thought. As @mrelwood stated it allows you to pay more attention to the actual environment that’s not directly in front of you and is much, much safer. You can scan for traffic, pedestrians, kids, bikes, animals much more effectively if you don’t need to split your attention to road imperfections. Your to focused on what you know and not seeing things for what they could be. 

True as a non suspension EUC rider I can attest to the constant scanning of streets directly in front of me. Especially if I am in an unfamiliar area. Was almost thrown the one time I didn't see a pot hole.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

K.  i will keep an open mind.  im sure once i understand how to set up the suspension,  and do some extended riding on the new wheel,  my perceptions on non-suspended riding and suspended riding will be changed.  and by the number of replies from various riders,  the change may be one of an enlightening experience too.  i look forward to it.  thanx to all !

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

True as a non suspension EUC rider I can attest to the constant scanning of streets directly in front of me. Especially if I am in an unfamiliar area. Was almost thrown the one time I didn't see a pot hole.

onewheelkoregro,

do you see a suspended wheel in your future ?  seeing from your profile, you are in NM, you live is a beautiful part of the states,  desert environment.  lots of opportunities for great riding nonetheless... 

Edited by bpong
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, bpong said:

onewheelkoregro,

do you see a suspended wheel in your future ?  seeing from your profile, you are in NM, you live is a beautiful part of the states,  desert environment.  lots of opportunities for great riding nonetheless... 

I am looking into getting a suspension wheel. It will probably be a Master after I finish paying off some other things I will pull the trigger on it. I don't really buy into the hype of the newest and best. I'm more of a proven track record kind of person, especially when it comes to electronics. With technology things rarely tend to work out as well as they do on paper as they do in real life, so I go for the proven stuff instead of the specs sheet.

53 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

I'm more of a proven track record kind of person, especially when it comes to electronics.

What does the Master have to do with a ”proven track record”??

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

What does the Master have to do with a ”proven track record”??

It's been out for a while now. And most of the bugs have worked out, NGL the Inmotion Adventure is looking really nice but the V13 launch wasn't exactly the smoothest either while Begode has had little issue with their last 3-4 wheels at launch. The Master is the exception to that but it was resolved quickly

2 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

It's been out for a while now. And most of the bugs have worked out

Have they really? There are at least four versions of batteries, charger boards and mainboards, and the last I read about the Master thread they still had issues of not charging to full, battery leak near full voltage, dead mainboards, busted shocks, loose stanchions, stuck stanchions, and Begode having trouble providing correct spare parts. Some of the owners are into their fourth mainboards. To me it has looked like a disaster all the way. Begode isn’t known for fixing known issues even when time passes by. The local Master owners use several wheels because their Masters are broken most of the time. One case because the shell had cracked too badly to be repaired even when the wheel just tipped over from the kickstand.

2 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

but the V13 launch wasn't exactly the smoothest either

One guy overleaned the wheel disregarding the warnings at full acceleration. Inmotion improved the warnings due to that single case. And one test unit that was tampered with had loose bolts that eventually snapped. And Inmotion already provided new bolts to existing users just in case the issue was because of the slightly different bolt head angle. I don’t know if it was the smoothest launch or not, but it was right up there.

Let’s say the Master issues were all fixed and it was a dependable wheel. It still has horrible ergonomics, very bad durability, near useless headlight, only three ride modes that I personally don’t care for, and firmware updates that don’t even belong to that model. Owning one is a very different experience to owning an Inmotion. Or even a Veteran.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

i would have crashed more than 100times without suspension i’m sure, always the bumps you dont see. 

Like mrelwood said i’d rather be watching for cars than scanning the path in front. 

Very well put and I can only say I could have said the same. BTW I think I did back in my V11 log thread once I tested the suspension at 1st batch launch. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Let’s say the Master issues were all fixed and it was a dependable wheel. It still has horrible ergonomics, very bad durability, near useless headlight, only three ride modes that I personally don’t care for, and firmware updates that don’t even belong to that model. Owning one is a very different experience to owning an Inmotion. Or even a Veteran.

I guess you and @Mango have views of the Master that are polar opposites.

What I noticed is that there are those riders who really like Master. Then there are others who have moved on, or never were enthusiastic about it to start with.

The Master is currently selling at a somewhat heavily discounted price. So is the S22.

Which of the two would be the better buy for urban commuting?

• Like 1

There's a difference between owning/riding a Master and reading about it on forums. Reading about all the Master issues on a forum is inherently skewed, it's like visiting a hospital and thinking everyone's ill.

Master is like an endlessly customizable hot rod, certainly you have to have a speed and racing mentality when you're about to ride it. For convenience and running errands around town, probably not the best wheel for that. I have a v8s for that.

Dawn and Roger EUC both have two masters each. I'd get another Master if I had the space.

Master was a prototype wheel for Begode to test their ideas for new generation of suspension wheels hence why they changed around so much, they will move on and forget about it soon.

I find it kinda funny how a wheel with so many flaws is praised because you can "customize" it (i.e. try to fix the flaws yourself).

• Upvote 1