I just sank my 16X, hence question... R.I.P.?

andon

Hello,

My pleasant journey ended abruptly today - tire slipped on a narrow, angled trail and my wheel rolled down to the pond in no time. Now it rests few meters under the water. Thankfully, I am ok and haven't gone down with it. Do you have any experience as for reviving completely flooded wheels? Does it make any sense or do I have to rather get over it? Thanks.

• Sad 4

Thank you. For now, I am not able to get it out anyhow, I will soon be consulting a fireman, on what to do with it - I do not want to leave it there, not too elegant a behaviour. It is hard to imagine how I could disconnect batteries right away, risking a fire in the face while disassembling it, though.

I really took took care of it, babying the batteries, and all, funny how life can be. So if there is no 100% method of making it reliable again, I wouldn't want to risk my health riding it after this. As to then new one, I still got my first Ninebot One S2 to support my basic needs, and KS was worth more than my monthly income, so I guess I will pause for now. But no one will prohibit me from scrolling suspended wheels ads, of course...

• Like 1

The fire danger was a bit exaggerated by me. The batteries are likely already discharged from being in the water if water got into the battery, though I'm no expert on this, so I don't know. You can probably remove the wheel safely from the water, I don't think you need a fireman for that, they don't explode randomly, just when they heat up too much from being shorted. I would remove the batteries for recycling (maybe remove the foil so no water can stay in there) and then see what you can do with the rest of the wheel (like does the motor still rotate smoothly etc.), but probably you just throw that away too. Sucks:(

But definitely do not try to charge the batteries ever again, too much that can be wrong with them that you couldn't see, that would really be dangerous. And I wouldn't store them anywhere where a fire could be a problem.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

I meant fireman in terms of diving in the pond with some equipment - a line with a hook maybe - as the pond (kind of city lake) is quite large and deep and water cloudy, and securing it from possible fire hazard as well; I want to consult a pro, maybe they already had a similar situation. Thanks for your advice, meepmeepmayer.

New packs could cost similar to an entire 2nd hand wheel. Maybe look for one. 

If you want to recover some cash I'm sure with some work you can sell the parts from your old wheel. Some could be valuable but it takes time or money to verify that it works. Bms, shell, motor... questionable condition.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cerbera said:

skill and patience to throw at the clean-up, and are entirely comfortable with its total disassembly / reassembly

I'm just visualizing all the ferrous parts as I read that.

image.jpeg.3e7ab01fc443ff8c826c8bf224222239.jpegimage.jpeg.505d23f9d3deed25b08ed097150d8fd3.jpegimage.jpeg.ebb76e55719b4d391afe9205d8e624a4.jpegimage.png.9315309f5e56e9f9621dd295f75af3ed.png

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 6:11 PM, andon said:

Hello,

My pleasant journey ended abruptly today - tire slipped on a narrow, angled trail and my wheel rolled down to the pond in no time. Now it rests few meters under the water. Thankfully, I am ok and haven't gone down with it. Do you have any experience as for reviving completely flooded wheels? Does it make any sense or do I have to rather get over it? Thanks.

Just want to say I'm sorry for you, really, that sucks!  This really hurts.  The 16X is such a nice wheel in these days where all new wheels are heavy an all to expensive.  

22 hours ago, andon said:

I meant fireman in terms of diving in the pond with some equipment - a line with a hook maybe - as the pond (kind of city lake) is quite large and deep and water cloudy, and securing it from possible fire hazard as well; I want to consult a pro, maybe they already had a similar situation. Thanks for your advice, meepmeepmayer.

I know it may sound stupid, but here we go: 1: Is the wheel visible?  2: If yes:  it's no more than 3 meters under surface <=> you or someone familiar with swimming can easy dive and pull a rope throug the handle;  Back to surface and pull up the wheel.  At least all the parts  (with the exception of the electronics) can be used as spare parts / sold.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Oh wow this makes this doubly sad:(

Yeah, and on top of that he just bought my Power-Pads and NyloNove pedals. :(

I would try to get the wheel out of the water for that reason alone. Pedals, Power-Pads, shell, tire, rim and other small parts are useful spare parts. 

As a small consolation you will get the lost Power-Pads for your next wheel for free, then you will have a complete set again. (just in case you can't pull it out of the water)

A friend of mine has 2 mint 16X with NyloNove pedals and Power-Pads from me that he wanted to sell. Should I ask if that is still current? I think that even residual warranty from Oneride.eu is available. 

Edited by EUC Custom Power-Pads
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

A friend of mine has 2 mint 16X with NyloNove pedals and Power-Pads from me that he wanted to sell. Should I ask if that is still current? I think that even residual warranty from Oneride.eu is available. 

an extra bonus to this is probably, that these "used" wheels comes WITHOUT the new stupid ridiculous useless factory fitted "pads" from KS

• Like 1

@EUC Custom Power-PadsThank you very much, Frank, much appreciated. As soon as I resolve if - and if yes, than how to do it, some leftovers will be acquired, pedals and pads from you for sure. Thank you for your kind offer. Sure, if you can ask him, that will be good to know. (I can finally edit posts) By the way: you've used the word consolation - in Polish konsolacja is a term used to name a ceremony, gathering of a family and people close to a deceased one after a funeral...

@Robse yep.

@Paul g Now I will remember about it indefinitely!

Edited by andon
Another complementary thought came to my mind and I didn't want to create a new post for it
  • Like 1

Guys, I have a concept on how to take it out: a snorkeling mask and a pipe with attached another, long and flexible pipe to keep me breathing. And a long rope to wrap it around the handle and pull it all out. It can be done. The main question is: are batteries (from last friday) 100% empty not to cause fire after emerging the wheel... How can I be absolutely certain of this? Do you have a clue?

1 minute ago, andon said:

Guys, I have a concept on how to take it out: a snorkeling mask and a pipe with attached another, long and flexible pipe to keep me breathing. And a long rope to wrap it around the handle and pull it all out. It can be done. The main question is: are batteries (from last friday) 100% empty not to cause fire after emerging the wheel... How can I be absolutely certain of this? Do you have a clue?

you can not breathe through a pipe when you are more than 50 cm / 2 feet under water. Its the water pressure that prevents you from breathing in air at ground level pressure. It's either free dive or scuba gear with tank and regulator.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Robse said:

you can not breathe through a pipe when you are more than 50 cm / 2 feet under water. Its the water pressure that prevents you from breathing in air at ground level pressure. It's either free dive or scuba gear with tank and regulator.

Are you sure, Robse? In one of my favorite movies (based on facts) - Le Grand Bleu - with Jean Reno, one diver was wearing a special, old fashioned helmet on his head with a super long pipe on the top that allowed fresh air from surface while he was diving.

Just now, andon said:

Are you sure, Robse? In one of my favorite movies (based on facts) - Le Grand Bleu - with Jean Reno, one diver was wearing a special, old fashioned helmet on his head with a super long pipe on the top that allowed fresh air from surface while he was diving.

yes, but the air is fed to him via a compressor

14 minutes ago, andon said:

The main question is: are batteries (from last friday) 100% empty not to cause fire after emerging the wheel... How can I be absolutely certain of this? Do you have a clue?

I don't think you need to be worried about a fire. You can always remove the batteries from the wheel on the spot right after you fished it out, and slice the foil so no water is inside. Then they should be safe. It's not like they go up without reason.

My fire warning was meant so you don't try to re-use the batteries after fishing them out of the water, even if they "still look good" or something. I believe that can end very badly and is too risky.

Here's a disassembly article for the 16X. You might need only a screwdriver to get to the battery packs.

https://ecodrift.ru/2019/06/24/kingsong-ks-16x-disassembling/