Begode A2 or V8F?

comparison data from ewheels attached to this posting.

cowtc, i see you have a V5f already.  how long have you been riding ? if readers on this blog know that, they could help you out based on your riding experience...

a2.png

v8f.png

16 hours ago, cowtc said:

If you were to pick between the Begode A2 or Inmotion V8F, which would you get and why?

Annoying answer, but: Neither.

I don’t think V8F is enough of an upgrade from a V5F. It’s still a small, low powered wheel, and a good amount of money for what it is. Very often V8F is a wheel people buy for learning, and upgrade a few weeks later.

On the A2, one recently turned off while riding, so one of the most influential influencers broke his ankle pretty badly, requiring surgery. The reason is still unresolved, other than “it’s a Begode”.

If you want a wheel in that size group, while not perfect by any means, the KingSong 16S would be a much better choice. Possibly even the MCM5 v2. While it too is a Gotway/Begode, it has been around for a few years now, so unexpected turn offs should have been either revealed or resolved.

MCM5 v2 is a 14” wheel as well, but the 2.5” tire width makes it much more stable than any other 14”. I’d even say that it’s nearly comparable to the 16S in stability.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A2 for sure. Much more modern and powerful (= more fun). Unless that one A2 of Marty's that failed turns out to be not-a-fluke, I see no reason to worry about it.

Is price your consideration, or is it about the smaller tire size for you?

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

the KingSong 16S

Nah. Weak and old (and too expensive for what it is nowadays).

If anything, a Tesla (T3) is what I would get for an actually-16-inch "16 inch" wheel (same tire size as the V8 series).

Edited by meepmeepmayer

57 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nah. Weak and old (and too expensive for what it is nowadays).

For what it is.. 16S is quit zippy and awesome wheel for cruising at 25km/h speeds. Perfect wheel for some, who don't wanna gear up at all. (Aka riding running speed to job that is 3-10km away.)

And for most parts, it's handle alone is awesome selling point for some.. Motor kill button, extending handle, carry handle, trolley handle, all in one.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, cowtc said:

If you were to pick between the Begode A2 or Inmotion V8F, which would you get and why?

V8F without hesitation, because reliable, quality of finish, waterproofness on rainy days, very correct characteristics still in 2023, competitive price, acceptable insurance contract, long life and low maintenance.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

The A2 would be night and day more comfortable to ride. The V8 should not be ridden faster than 30km/h, and the A2 max speed is not too far away I believe.

Comfort goes a looong way. It will determine how much you're going to ride. 

I'm not a heavy rider either, but I still love those ~3in wide tires.

As for safety, Begode is on average a bit riskier, but if you take care of the wheel, avoid dropping it, ride within the limits for your body size, and maybe let them iron the bugs out first, it can be a very reliable wheel.

13 hours ago, alcatraz said:

The A2 would be night and day more comfortable to ride.

What kind of comfort do you mean?

One thing about the A2. Unless I’m mistaken, it doesn’t have a dynamic tilt-back. So either you set a fixed tilt-back speed that you hope would cover all circumstances you’ll ever get into, or you remove the tilt-back altogether and trust your gut. If your gut is wrong or if it estimates the battery level wrong, you eat dirt.

V8F or V8S, all day. Excellent weather resistance, nice silhouette, very convenient, and history of reliability. Thin profile and weight make it perfect for commuting and taking on transit. Trolley handle hides away when not in use. Easy turn on of light and side lights make for night time riding visibility. Perfect wheel for casual urban riding.

A2 breaks ankles. Begode heritage. No trolley handle, and if you install one, it blocks your rear lamp. Open design means your feet and lower legs will get wet riding in the rain. New does not mean better. Perfect wheel for casual light off-road and mixed riding.

Both are fun wheels. Depends on your use case.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

What kind of comfort do you mean?

Wider tire. More to work with.

I got a 2.5in on the tesla and 3in on the msx and the msx is really cushy. My Tesla rim doesn't look too good, the msx's looks like new. 

If you want it pumped up hard you can still do that with the wider tire. 

I never tried a Ninebot Z. Those tires look too thick to me. I'm guessing they can't take low pressure. 

I think the Inmotion wheels are a great choice and very well-made, just overpriced and dated with very modest performance.

The MCM5v2 is a little rocket. However, it has cheap, brittle plastic and has a dated, homely-looking aesthetic. The 2.5" tire is great and can be swapped for up to a 3" tire if you cut the outer shell wheel wells as several of us have done. Also, the logo badges just above the footplates really hurt the ankles if you grab the wheel.

Skip the Z10. I love its design and the fashion statement, but it is tricky to master. Even at very low pressure, the low-profile tire transfers almost all vibration and shock directly into the rider's body: it is very tiresome to ride for 10 miles or more. 

your description shows you already know how to ride a V5.  if thats the case, why not go for something abit more challenging like mentioned in the prev replies such as the 16X or Tesla V3 ?  they cost more, but they offer more in speed and range.  i think moving from the V5 to a V8 or A2 is like taking the next step up in a staircase.  getting the 16X or V3 is like taking a long step up of 3 steps...

Edited by bpong
original written content too verbose...
  • Upvote 1

I been lurking a bit, just wanted to see your opinions on the two vs each other.

I'm currently still rocking the v5f, it does 75% of what I need (weight & size and last mile commute in the city on cycle lanes), so just pondering with a small change. I don't want to go much bigger or too powerful mainly due to the size and weight (I have issues lifting and the A2 is pushing the limit). I think both of these wheels would satisfy my want of a little bit more top speed (hit the v5f limit every so often). I don't like the not-very-grippy peddles and design of the v5f trolley handle, prefer a more tradional style one so doesn't look 'different'.

The main thing I like about the v8f is the trolley handle, the upgrade in speed & power, proven reliability, same benefits as v5f and probably can pick up secondhand for budget price.
The main thing I like about the A2 is it's a more fun wheel, confidentally waterproof (like you won't care if it's pouring it down), wheel size, studded peddles, looks cooler and reasonable new price. It's negatives (for me) is the lack of trolley handle and weight.

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Milordas said:

as 16" wheel, imo KS 16s is unkilable wheel and have plenty or range and weight acceptable. Im the happy owner of it

Also A2 real weight is 21kg. Not the mentioned 19... KS16S at 18kg beats it hands down with 840wh/1200w specs.

At 22kg i would take KS18L over A2 - it's only 1kg heavier than A2 and has 18" wheel and 31mph(50km/h) top speed. Riding comfort alone would increase quit a bit, going from ~40cm wheel to ~48cm.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 2

Second hand Gotway Tesla v1 or v2 are cheap. They can be upgraded with a 2.5in tire.

2000w motor, good trolley handle, quite splash resistant, and they use some of the best battery cells Panasonic PF and GA.

And it's 19kg. Hard to beat. But yes the V8F is also one of those nice packages. The Tesla is way more powerful though. It flies up hills.

• Upvote 1