Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion

techyiam

38 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

the beloved V14 just died on me :D

Well, I'm glad it didn't drop you on your face like the Begode did. Will your buddy roger be taking it apart and thoroughly testing every part of it to find the cause? Because  highly doubt the "hall sensor" failed while it was turned off and if it had failed when you were riding it, I'm sure you would have noticed. I look forward to rogers thorough examination....:D Maybe the plug into the raptor controller came loose. Inmotion is known for their poor quality control issues. Also make sure you didn't shut the wheel off before you close the app. That throws all kinds of errors on the v13.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Well, I'm glad it didn't drop you on your face like the Begode did. Will your buddy roger be taking it apart and thoroughly testing every part of it to find the cause? Because  highly doubt the "hall sensor" failed while it was turned off and if it had failed when you were riding it, I'm sure you would have noticed. I look forward to rogers thorough examination....:D Maybe the plug into the raptor controller came loose. Inmotion is known for their poor quality control issues. Also make sure you didn't shut the wheel off before you close the app. That throws all kinds of errors on the v13.

The V13 and V14 has redundant hall sensors. So yes, one could fail while riding without noticing.

But now the control board blew up, so yeah, probably wasn't the hall sensor to begin with.

I'll be taking the wheel apart. Roger helped me with the A2 because I had a broken ankle and was in bed :)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The V13 and V14 has redundant hall sensors. So yes, one could fail while riding without noticing.

yes, i know this. You also mentioned that it wasn't balancing and i figured you would have noticed the error when riding it. It should still be balancing if it was just one sensor is what i was thinking.

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'll be taking the wheel apart. Roger helped me with the A2 because I had a broken ankle and was in bed

OIC, sorry i was thinking he was your wheel mechanic as well as your off road tester...:D Bummer the control board went, seems like it's a pattern for new inmotion wheels lately. The strange part is that the control board has gone on my v13 before and it was separate from the raptor controller so it still balanced and rode fine. It will be interesting to see what you come up with, good luck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Here's the V14's force to stroke ratio graph, courtesy of Inmotion dev team 

V14 Suspension Force.png

This is awesome data and it really shows the effectiveness of the progressive spring.  One interesting thing I see is the amount of force required to start suspension travel, about 112 lbs.  Could just be testing method or the amount of preload. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UPONIT said:

HUH??!!! Based on ...

Based on the fact me and many others had to change the Motor bolts,the control board, the headlight assembly,the sliders, the dampeners and the motor of our new v13's in the first few months of ownership. Several owners of the v13 have had the wire placement across the headlight melt on the lens. many owners have had to replace the motor because it wasn't properly shimmed from the factory. All of us have to put a screen protector over the power button because the screws under it weren't properly torqued down. Several of us had oil leaking out of the dampeners upon arrival. Several of us had to change the rear taillight board because it wasn't properly covered with a waterproof coating. My new v11 had the motor wires rubbing against the slider when i first received it, thank god i took it apart to change the tire first thing. All of which could have been prevented by good quality control save the control boards.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Based on the fact me and many others had to change the Motor bolts,the control board, the headlight assembly,the sliders, the dampeners and the motor of our new v13's in the first few months of ownership. Several owners of the v13 have had the wire placement across the headlight melt on the lens. many owners have had to replace the motor because it wasn't properly shimmed from the factory. All of us have to put a screen protector over the power button because the screws under it weren't properly torqued down. Several of us had oil leaking out of the dampeners upon arrival. Several of us had to change the rear taillight board because it wasn't properly covered with a waterproof coating. My new v11 had the motor wires rubbing against the slider when i first received it, thank god i took it apart to change the tire first thing. All of which could have been prevented by good quality control save the control boards.

hmmmmnnn....  2 years ago i just unpacked my RS19, pushed the power button, unlocked transport mode, and went riding :P  And to this very day i have never had any issues with oil leaking, headlight assembly, bolts, wires or waterproof (none)  

. could not help it ... - - - ... 

Edited by Robse

1 minute ago, Robse said:

hmmmmnnn....  2 years ago i just unpacked my RS19, pushed the power button, unlocked transport mode, and went riding :P  And to this very day a have never had any issues with oil leaking, headlight assembly, bolts, wires or waterproof (none)  

. could not help it ... - - - ... 

I'm happy for you, but i now have a wheel i can ride through streams,rinse off with the hose,ride through the winter, ride at 60 mph and see with no trouble at night. I am still happy with my purchase.:)

• Like 1

Just now, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I'm happy for you, but i now have a wheel i can ride through streams,rinse off with the hose,ride through the winter, ride at 60 mph and see with no trouble at night. I am still happy with my purchase.:)

I think the V13 is a very nice wheel indeed.  If i would rinse down the RS... cough cough,  I'd probably have to buy a new wheel afterwards .  But as you say yourself, IM quality control stinks. Incidentally, a v13 here in my high-tax country costs approx.  $ 4700  - which is quite a bit more than many people have left from a monthly salary after taxes have been paid. And at that price, you could expect the wheel to work properly out of the box.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

In your dreams you are riding it at 60mph. 😂

6 minutes ago, Robse said:

And at that price, you could expect the wheel to work properly out of the box.

You may have been lucky with your RS19. The RS19 certainly has had its shares of issues.

A single data point doesn't make a trend.

It would be a rarity for an early batch wheel to have zero issues.

For me, from a longer term overall ownership experience, I would place Veteran pretty high, even though it was an Abrams. I would rate my V12 below that, and in last place my T3, even though it basically had no real issues. It is early yet to say about the S22. But, I can say the initial quality is bad. However, the S22 is easy to work on, and most parts are OK quality. 

23 minutes ago, techyiam said:

You may have been lucky with your RS19. The RS19 certainly has had its shares of issues.

A single data point doesn't make a trend.

It would be a rarity for an early batch wheel to have zero issues.

i was joking, that's why I wrote "never had any issues with oil leaking " 😉

i don't post issues i might have with a wheel to bash the wheel or the company. i post things i find that i think could possibly hurt or kill a fellow rider. that's all.

i hope the other riders on the forum think similarly. i own two v13's. if i get a great deal and get the same batch as the last one, i might own 3 v13's, so i'll be heavily invested in one model of wheel, so that means i only have to learn one wheel mechanically. 

i wish there was actually a helpful sticky thread, instead of the stupid cutoff thread, that listed all the known issues that might arise on the v13 for my purely selfish reasons of me not getting hurt!

for example! the stupid lock icon in the app being active while ur riding!!! easily fixable and very dangerous as is!

Edited by novazeus

2 hours ago, Robse said:

a v13 here in my high-tax country costs approx.  $ 4700  - which is quite a bit more than many people have left from a monthly salary after taxes have been paid

Ouch, and I thought they were expensive in America! Even the amount you will pay here in the States is much more than most people have left over from a monthly salary. Heck, many people don't even make that much before taxes in a month.

Back onto the thread topic though, I saw that Marty's Adventure wheel suffered a control board failure on day 2. That really sucks. I sure hope that IM resolves the issue quickly, so that others don't experience the same issue.

It does seem that all EUC companies seem to have very poor quality control. I've gotten lucky with my V11. I think it's a batch 5, and I haven't had any problems with it yet... knock on wood, but I know that lots of people have had problems with previous batches. I think it's a good idea in general to avoid first batch EUC's as the EUC companies seem to use their customers as beta testers. Just to name a few of the examples:

Begode Extreme - cutout far too quickly, so preventing one was unlikely. Fortunately they adjusted the safety margins after Chooch's crash.

V13 - numerous problems with batch 1 wheels

KS22 - shoddy bolts in the suspension system

I think the moral of the story is to avoid batch 1 wheels, and wait for people to have a chance to report back on their success / failure before making the plunge, unless you have other wheels you can ride while your new wheel gets replacement parts under warrantee.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skunkmonkey said:

Begode Extreme - cutout far too quickly, so preventing one was unlikely. Fortunately they adjusted the safety margins after Chooch's crash.

Chooch - the king of crash  -   or is it crashking? :facepalm:

chooch had the 40t version from ewheels i think...he sad that was main reason that he crashed...its about 1900wh only and c40 on it...thats stupid...i dont know why ewheels sells that version..https://www.ewheels.com/product/begode-extreme/marty even on the adventure sad that the c40 has a lot of drainage on it and the range was not so good...inmotion will probably change samething so the adventure is solid product after time...but i will go for the mini...c38 is safe bet with 2400wh. was waiting for some reviews...

6 minutes ago, FarkyJ said:

chooch had the 40t version from ewheels i think...he sad that was main reason that he crashed...its about 1900wh only and c40 on it...thats stupid...i dont know why ewheels sells that version..https://www.ewheels.com/product/begode-extreme/marty even on the adventure sad that the c40 has a lot of drainage on it and the range was not so good...inmotion will probably change samething so the adventure is solid product after time...but i will go for the mini...c38 is safe bet with 2400wh. was waiting for some reviews...

If anything 40T cells would be safer when accelerating hard, they are high discharge cells.

Just now, FarkyJ said:

ok than extreme on that specs is probably wrong as a product...for who it is?on 40t?

This topic is about Adventure not Extreme but to answer you question it's for anyone who likes to push their wheel hard, it's a 4P wheel and high discharge cells make sense.

Marty's initial thoughts about the stiffness of the V14 suspension made me wonder if Inmotion shouldn't release two versions of this wheel:

V14 Adventure:

• Stiffer suspension to prevent bottoming out
  • Knobby tire
  • Orange side panels

V14 Cruise:

• Cushier suspension coil
  • Street tire
  • Black side panels
  • Seat?
  • Maybe something to boost range, if possible

Though at least the changes for a more street-oriented configuration can be achieved via mods.

• Like 2