Yet another split: Fire History

Paul A

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/public-safety/2023/04/10/astoria-queens-fire-fdny-electric-bike-lithium-ion-battery-john-hodgens-laura-kavanagh-fdny

April 10, 2023

A seven-year old boy and a 19-year-old girl died in a fire that erupted Monday afternoon in Astoria, the FDNY said.

Fire officials say a lithium-ion battery in an electric bike sparked the blaze.

There have been 59 fires caused by lithium-ion batteries this year, and five people have died, according to the FDNY.

The fire occurred in the first floor of the building in the vestibule, and immediately traveled up the stairs.

There were six people upstairs, including a father and five children, Hodgens said.

Four people jumped out the window, but two did not, and they died.

Firefighters arrived at the scene within three minutes, according to Hodgens.

"If this was not an e-bike fire, most likely, we would've been able to put this fire out without incident," Hodgens said. "But the way these fires occur, it is like an explosion of fire, and these occupants have very little chance of escaping."

Hodgens says that the occupants did not have a chance to escape the building because an e-bike was stored near the front door.

Dan Flynn, the FDNY’s chief fire marshal, added that an after-market charger and an extension cord were used to charge the device, and the bike was likely charging when the blaze started.

Some apartment buildings banning e-bikes due to ongoing lithium-ion battery fires

CBS New York

Apr 12, 2023

Edited by Paul A
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Paul A said:

Siblings killed in Queens house fire

CBS New York

Apr 10, 2023

ya, this is terrible. i've seen this first hand. and i don't think the fire started by the three eucs, neither did the fire inpector, but omg, i know they added to the intensity of the fire. growing up on a ranch, we had partys with huge bonfires, had accidental fires, fires we started to clear brush, but i never saw a fire like these wheels caused. the heat was so intense. 

hopefully i'm incorrect about the topic i posted, the end is near. the govt sees this, and they will err on the side of caution and once one municipality bans big li-on battery packs, all the others will too. they all share their restrictions or codes thru municode. 

and if multifamily builders ban them, that will knock out alot of the market. i'll still build interconnecting non vehicle multiuse paths here, but 18 months from now, or two years from now when they start leasing in these 4 story stick built apts, they will surely be banned. if i built and held onto an apt complex here, i would ban them. 

course maybe a new enterprise will pop up like mini warehouses built for storing big battery pevs. but that does kill the convenience factor. 

like i've said, i wouldn't want to live over the top of somebody with a dozen wheels and adjusting their chargers to max voltage by removing the epoxy from the pots, and them not even home while charging. 

yeah, they will be banned here in my county and by all these multifamily developers. ag spanos who was one of the biggest on the planet, has already banned e-bikes from their structures. michael spanos and steve cohen their coo,  are suppose to come meet me later this month, so i'll get their take on it firsthand. 

the deaths are terrible and sad.

the destruction of the pev market will probably put all these chinese device manufacturers out of business. 

i prefer inline skating anyway. they ban them at my local park.no skateboards either. it sucks. 

i'm dropping my pev sales pitch to these developers. 

it was fun while it lasted.

this might well be the straw to break the camel's back.

Edited by novazeus

• 2 months later...

it's sad that something like this happens, and it's very sad for those left behind - and it won't be the last time.
But when you see pictures of the store, you can also see that the disaster was pre-programmed.
Due to ignorance, or simply a lack of insight into the dangers associated with work like this?
In most places in the world there is only significant control with people who work with children,
food, public power supply, health care, chemicals, waste, sewer...  
Anyone can start a shop and offer bike repair... and they can get away with repairing, despite
relative ignorance and lack of professional training.
This is not a statement about the actual shop, i know nothing about it, but the pictures speak for themselves.

Annotation 2023-06-21 011852.jpg

Annotation 2023-06-21 011j852.jpg

Annotation 2023-06-21 01h1j852.jpg

NYC LIVES on take out and deliveries. Ebikes are they ony way to to get groceries and food to your apartment.  I saw them arrive about 10 years ago. 

Where else can you get Organic Goat Cheese or Bratwurst at 3 in the morning? 

After a long day of dealing with snippy New Yorkers, these delivery guys drop off their bikes and head home, or they take them home and plug them in with a 50 dollar dumb charger. The exhausted batteries get warm, then hot, then explode.  

Evicting a tenant is nigh impossible in NYC, and everyone needs Vegan Burgers delivered, so I don't see a solution. Laws will be written, but NYC is a "live and let live" kind of place.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

We haven't seen pics of where the fire occurred yet.

Were the batteries in a hallway? Did the people suffocate? Were they found in their beds?

Lots of Apartments upstairs. Zillow showed them listed for 800,000 bucks to buy.

3 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Lots of Apartments upstairs. Zillow showed them listed for 800,000 bucks to buy.

So the deaths occured in neighboring apartments?

I thought it was people sleeping in the store.

Sounds like a nasty fire then. After looking closer at the picture with the firefighters I can see damage inside the store, but surprisingly little outside. It doesn't look like the fire spread very far hmm.

Edited by alcatraz

10 hours ago, alcatraz said:

So the deaths occured in neighboring apartments?

I thought it was people sleeping in the store.

Sounds like a nasty fire then. After looking closer at the picture with the firefighters I can see damage inside the store, but surprisingly little outside. It doesn't look like the fire spread very far hmm.

It’s not the fire, it’s the toxic gases emitted. FDNY says a LI-Ion battery fire is more wires than a stick built wood fire. 

15 hours ago, Robse said:

i know nothing about it, but the pictures speak for themselves.

Yes they do ! With that much unorganised crap everywhere I bet they didn't even know where any particular battery pack was in the shop, let alone if it was safe or not !

I remain flabbergasted that people are allowed to open and run places like this in such a dangerously incompetent manner, right underneath where people sleep ! Of course I don't know all the facts, but I find it hard to place the blame firmly at battery technology's door when it is clearly being mismanaged by careless idiots, and there seems to be no great shortage of those trying ! 

I hope this, and the other horrible fires lead not to overregulation of the actual machines, but to far superior checks and measures in the shops setup to repair them.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

On 6/20/2023 at 11:02 PM, alcatraz said:

Those chinese characters are traditional which means the store owners were likely from H.K. or Taiwan. If anyone's wondering....

How you be so sure? I know most stores own by Chinese from mainland China or other part of South Asian countries like Malaysia also has traditional chinese writing on their store signs because it's more "official" look plus traditional Chinese just look better than simplified chinese for store front

Edited by Edidas

1 hour ago, Edidas said:

How you be so sure? I know most stores own by Chinese from mainland China or other part of South Asian countries like Malaysia also has traditional chinese writing on their store signs because it's more "official" look plus traditional Chinese just look better than simplified chinese for store front

When Ebikes first began to proliferate, it was mostly Chinese Take Out delivery. Every taco joint and grocery uses them now. The fire was in Chinatown.

Yes im aware its a chinese owned store at chinatown obviously, however I'm questioning why he narrowed down the owner was either from h.k. or Taiwanese based on just the character on the store signs, this is just false speculation...

7 hours ago, Edidas said:

Yes im aware its a chinese owned store at chinatown obviously, however I'm questioning why he narrowed down the owner was either from h.k. or Taiwanese based on just the character on the store signs, this is just false speculation...

There are simplified chinese signs in chinatown. 

It's not impossible that they're mainland, but it's LESS likely that they are. Just saying.

Damn, that's awful news.

A small local e-scooter shop I used to visit a lot (when I rode scooters) is likewise on the first floor of a multi floor office/apartment building. For some reason the owner couldn't be bothered with keeping an appointments calendar, preferring to work FIFO. So when you brought in a scooter for servicing at high season, you had to leave it there for up to two weeks when they finally got around to it. (Quite annoying). Therefore, the fairly small shop was always FULL of scooters waiting to be serviced. One time I counted literally 100+ of them. Of course all of them had smaller or larger issues, too...

Terrible.     But thinking about it, with customers coming with ‘My scooter/ebike/EUC/onewheel isn’t working’ -type problems and unable to diagnose for themselves, in combination with a WIDE variety of makes and associated build ‘qualities’, seems prima facie to offer a far greater potential risk of fire hazard. Short of having purpose-built fireproof and ‘by appointment only’ storage facilities for the customers’ units, this seems to be rather more a ‘when’ not ‘if’ fire hazard risk. The testing and subsequent isolation of all incoming battery packs in order to determine their state of charge and/or risk level should form a fundamental part of a risk assessment procedure. Alas, the video and stills show perhaps all too clearly that their methods may not have been ‘methodical’.

Still - terrible, for everyone, including our own community. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1