How to make DIY power pads?

26 minutes ago, novazeus said:

u can see him making it dip forward from almost a standstill.

The V13 has a very aggressive current limiter at standstill, so it is much much easier to overtorque at launch. Should be much harder once you get going.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

the v13 is pretty slow off the line, no matter how many accessories u waste ur money on.

inmotion needs to fix their software and fix this torque problem. 

Being slow off the line though, once you get past the current limiter at around 2-4km/h, is caused by the large tire diameter. It requires you to put your weight more than 10% further than on the S22 for similar acceleration. 22/20=110%, plus the additional weight of the V13.

see where my leg is with the s22 pedals moved forward?

still my leg is probably about an inch behind the axle. but with a slight bend at the knee, the axis is pretty centered. i wouldn't want the pedal moved any further forward. and u can see my shoe is even off the front and back. 

trust me, i have big feet and they are very coordinated. i use to practice turning on lights with my toes. that's alot of meat up front. i would overlean if i had learned with powerpads. just completely unnessary for me. my shoes never move a bit. especially with these spiked pedals. i like that my van's loafers with the waffle soles on the v13 with the vicious grip tape will shift a milimeter or two to find the perfect position after a few miles. but i can't wear waffle soles on spiked pedals. actually i can wear my loafers because i can shift my foot position inside them. the loafer stays locked in place.

FB487AFC-9D20-455C-B036-F8070E39830A.png.0411cada7ecef1be4392d8cb9a9a6c30.png

Edited by novazeus
  • Upvote 1

On 4/7/2023 at 5:44 PM, Cerbera said:

Dawn Champion (youtube) has a video where she compares Grizzlas and Clark Pads. Spoiler; she likes them both !

I think U-stride (youtube) is probably King of the home-improvised pads; I bet he has a video on them somewhere.

General purpose grab adhesive or foam glue sticks layers of foam pads together. Try and use velcro if you can so that you can reposition as needed without needing another roll of Gaffa tape !

Is this the video you are talking about??

IME foam like that is not slippy - quite the opposite in fact ! And that looks about the right thickness too, for optimal comfort, provided it is firm enough to hold your legs stably, and they are not wobbling about confusing control inputs. If they are too thick you can always cut them in half with a bread knife or electric carving knife.

If you are doing the home-improvised pad way there will be some experimentation involved in finding what is right for you. Often you can find something you think would work just wandering around a large hardware store, and usually it's cheap enough for you to be able to try a few things before you find the right one !

• Thanks 1

Just a thought, but those foam computer mouse pads are small, cheap, easy to stick together for extra thickness, and to cut and form with scissors...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Just a thought, but those foam computer mouse pads are small, cheap, easy to stick together for extra thickness, and to cut and form with scissors...

I found this non slip bathmat that is perfect. Bottom is sticky as well and water resistant!

• Like 1

Also, keep in mind that whatever you use, there must be an adhesive that will hold on that surface. Usually Velcro or double-sided tape. I don't know if a bathroom mat with anti-slip is one of them. If it's silicone, you'll have a lot of fun.

• Upvote 1

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to How to make DIY power pads?
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone 3D printed the pads? These look pretty nice, but can anyone confirm the printed pads stay good in use? Looks like there's lotsa pad designs going on on this site.

Local library offers printing for free, that's why :D 

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/vanzzla-jump-pads-for-electric-unicycles-euc

7 hours ago, Kataja said:

Local library offers printing for free

Libraries in our country only allow printing in PLA, while EUC pads practically always need to be printed with a flexible TPU. But you could probably find a guy in the community who could print you TPU pads for a reasonable cost.

Edited by mrelwood

Reasonable cost indeed, I just ordered TPU to print some fake Nylonove pads and even ordered 1kg of PETG for the connectors and pucks (way overkill, estimated I need 105grams for those) and still its only cost me 30% ish of what it would to buy original ones if I am to consider freight, and VAT.

I'm having my friend print them so I'm thinking I need a bottle of whiskey to pay him with making it closer to half price of the original ones.

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2023 at 3:36 PM, mrelwood said:

Libraries in our country only allow printing in PLA, while EUC pads practically always need to be printed with a flexible TPU. But you could probably find a guy in the community who could print you TPU pads for a reasonable cost.

In Oulu you can print on whatever material you bring to Fablab, also overnight. Takes time around 15hours a piece, if solid fill. Okay it's not "library" but close enuff, funded by the city.

Edited by Kataja
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Real quick question? The library is printing these for me and the guy asked me if he needs to use supports? I got the thread or whatever for the printer put he emailed me Friday asking if I knew if he would need supports? Thanks guys!

Single_Piece_Pad_-_Chonk.stl

Would save me about $170 if I print them at the library

23 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

The library is printing these for me and the guy asked me if he needs to use supports?

With it's current orientation you definitely would need supports. If you had a large enough build plate, you could lay it flat and not need any.

• Like 1