How to make DIY power pads?

I am looking into diy power pads because of the rising cost of everything but I was looking into the whole yoga brick thing but have just heard of these things called kuji pads. Can anybody recommend what is better? Or easier to make? Or works the best? There are no videos that compare the two just videos on grizzla and flow pads.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(clarified title)
  • Like 1

Kuji came up with his pads well before anyone actually "made" them! It's just using hard-ish foam (maybe in layers), cutting it to shape, covering with duct tape, and adding velcro. There's no particular magic—the commercial pads mostly look better, they don't function any differently.

Break out the box cutter and start carving!

Here's Kuji's original video for jump pads—power pads are the same process, just different shape

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dawn Champion (youtube) has a video where she compares Grizzlas and Clark Pads. Spoiler; she likes them both !

I think U-stride (youtube) is probably King of the home-improvised pads; I bet he has a video on them somewhere.

General purpose grab adhesive or foam glue sticks layers of foam pads together. Try and use velcro if you can so that you can reposition as needed without needing another roll of Gaffa tape !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Gaffa tape

total threadjack... what is Gaffa tape? I've used "Gaffer's tape" and duct tape (with all its names, including actual cut-your-finger aluminum tape for HVAC ducts). Are there kewl tapes you have that we don't get here in the colonies?

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

Oh it's all the same thing - over here in the UK I've always called it Gaffa tape, but I think it is properly spelled 'Gaffer'.

Duct tape is more confusing still because there is also 'Duck Tape', which is a company that makes both sorts !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, novazeus said:

2017, power pads were my invention. tempurpedic matteress topper. very comfy and molds perfectly to ur leg.

No disrespect, but those are not what we mean by the term 'power pads'. What you are doing there is 'general padding'. The function of that is to protect the wheel, and make it more comfortable for your legs to press against, NOT to transmit more command authority to the device, and if it does that at all it won't do it anywhere near as effectively as proper power pads will. The power pads I am referring to are mainly there to provide that extra authority, and a level of being 'locked in' that padding such as the above cannot provide to same degree or effect. And they unquestionably DO do that so they are 100% not bullshit.

I don't have a V13, but I can tell you that without power pads I had access to roughly 50% of the power of my Master. Now I have access to 100% of it. Big wheels ARE hard to get rolling from standstill - the larger tyre and vastly heavier weight make this inevitable, but if you have proper power pads it's mitigated almost to the point where it is unnoticeable. 

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

this is my powerpads. moving the pedals forward so my toes aren't completely hanging off the front of the pedals. i'll drag race anybody that has powerpads with this setup. it does take precision foot placement. a mm one way or another is huge. why i prefer going sockless in van's waffle soled loafers so my feet can move around in my shoes. the van's can't move because the spikes interlock with the waffle soles. on grip tape, the shoes can adjust a little. the spikes make minute adjustments with the shoes impossible. 

3708E23A-75CA-4073-94EC-B653724A8EDB.png

• Like 2

Yeah, the forward position of the pedals precluding the need for power pads I can agree with - both provide clear additional leverage :)

But I can't really believe the V13 hasn't got enough power to get out of a ditch from standstill, only either that the software is somehow in error or that not enough command authority is getting to the wheel from you. I just want someone with power pads to try it to eliminate the second of those possibilities from the equation...

Edited by Cerbera

4 hours ago, novazeus said:

i'll drag race anybody that has powerpads with this setup

If it takes you 500 feet to reach 30mph… Go ahead and race, it’s nice to meet people. But don’t set your expectations very high on the race results. :lol:

Edited by mrelwood
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

If it takes you 500 feet to reach 30mph… Go ahead and race, it’s nice to meet people. But don’t set your expectations very high on the race results. :lol:

yup, 500' to reach 30 mph. why u wanna race me on ur v11?

4 hours ago, novazeus said:

yup, 500' to reach 30 mph. why u wanna race me on ur v11?

I have decided long ago not to race anyone. But 500’ to 30mph doesn’t sound like a race but a Sunday stroll, so I wouldn’t mind winning a bet. :lol:

43 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I have decided long ago not to race anyone. But 500’ to 30mph doesn’t sound like a race but a Sunday stroll, so I wouldn’t mind winning a bet. :lol:

But then he may put back on the power pads. :)

Edited by techyiam

51 minutes ago, Stevebee said:

I’ve seen the photos and couldn’t see any power pads. Padding, yes, power pads no. Slightly delusional 

That's correct, because he claims he dislikes using power pads, even for a 22" wheel. If you look at his V13, you can see that center part of the yoga mat has been worn by his his knees squeezing the wheel, I surmised. I did something similar with my Abrams, except I used no-slip carpet tape. Obviously, proper power pads would be more effective. 

But, the V13 comes with stock power pads. So he can easily put those on just for the race.

Edited by techyiam

10 hours ago, techyiam said:

the V13 comes with stock power pads. So he can easily put those on just for the race.

He did specifically say that he’d challenge any padded rider with his current system though. If he were to install pads for the race, I’d make a claim to the race organizing instance!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

He did specifically say that he’d challenge any padded rider with his current system though. If he were to install pads for the race, I’d make a claim to the race organizing instance!

You are quite right. I missed his earlier post. 

On 4/8/2023 at 11:30 AM, mrelwood said:
On 4/8/2023 at 6:35 AM, novazeus said:

i'll drag race anybody that has powerpads with this setup

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I think the v11 is faster off the line than the 13, or maybe i'm just not leaning enough..:P

I little bit confused here. In Kuji Rolls V13 review video, did he bogged down off the line in his acceleration runs?

Why all a sudden the V13 bogs down off the line now?

16 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Why all a sudden the V13 bogs down off the line now?

It doesn't i just think it's a little slower off the line but maybe i can't "send it " enough.  I also think it's made for more top speed rather than fast acceleration. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone doing 65+mph on it after the unlock.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, techyiam said:

you can see that center part of the yoga mat has been worn by his his knees squeezing the wheel,

nope, that's from me dropping it on my road. dropped it again today, actually slid out from underneath me when i had to emergency brake coming around my curve and the sandhill cranes with their two babies were hogging the road. i thought i could creep by them near the shoulder but the leaves and oak blooms, combined with papa sandhill trying to attack me made the wheel squirt out underneath me at two mph

and i'm taller than that mark, that's about where my top of my calf muscle would be, and i don't like the leatt knee braces i bought because they would touch the mat. plus they are a pita to put on.. 

my road is 12' wide but the only part that isn't covered in leaves and oak blooms varies from 2' to 4' wide, and that's where the sandhill cranes decided to park their butts today. at least dropping the wheel scared the shit out of them so maybe they'll quit partying on their road. it is named sandhill lane. if u have google earth, u can measure it urself. 

look at my s22 photo. only time the yoga mat touches my calves is when i'm in a lean for my curve or high winds, like tn. my road isn't shielded from high winds like neighborhood roads. imagine a road built in a wide open field. nothing to block the wind. very difficult. 

i overtorgued the v13 with a torquier michelin pilot street 2 tire on it, with "ankle flicks", be way worse with powerpads. how many miles on this low torque v13 do u have.

and btw, i choose to only go that fast before my 90 degree curve covered in leaves and oak blossoms, my acceleration is much quicker, nut with proper liability waivers, from a rider and their next of kin, we could set up a video camera and sell the video of them splatting into my oak trees to the jackass movie company. looking at it today, the straight section is probably closer to a lob wedge, or 300'. yeah, the v13 is pretty slow off the line, no matter how many accessories u waste ur money on.

inmotion needs to fix their software and fix this torque problem. 

my s22 is faster off the line. (with the pedals moved forward and down.).

A2E669B4-DA8A-43A0-9FAF-C3121EA9C5D8.png.f2e488ad6742dcdd844df8007fe1e944.png9C63F532-A400-4F7F-8BC5-08BC41FD0B0A.png.e0e7f8051c7188dbe6685ac02266c2ad.png

Edited by novazeus

20 hours ago, mrelwood said:

bring it big boy!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Can V13 owners chime in if they have been able over torque their V13's with only placing body weight on the pedals, and nothing else.

just go to around 8:40 in wrongway's video and u can see him making it dip forward from almost a standstill. 

same exact shit that happened to me, but i wasn't expecting it. he's doing it with "ankle flicks" or with his feet. it is what it is. 

wrongway sb hired by inmotion because his evaluation of the v13 is dead on. i don't have the knobby, thank goodness! because it must really be a toad!

• Like 1

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to How to make DIY power pads?