What’s the point of higher voltage? (Split from “Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb”)

JeremySPFF

I don't understand the purpose of the higher volt wheels yet. Why are the track times so similar between the EX30 and Sherman-S when there is a ~34v difference? It's also a smaller motor at 3000W(ss) vs. 4000W(EX30).

Edited by JeremySPFF
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, JeremySPFF said:

I don't understand the purpose of the higher volt wheels yet. Why are the track times so similar between the EX30 and Sherman-S when there is a ~34v difference? It's also a smaller motor at 3000W(ss) vs. 4000W(EX30).

It was suspected that the Shinko 244 tire Jack has on the SS had more grip than the stock CST 186 on the EX30. I suppose Jack should've conducted the test with the factory tire on each wheel or switch them all out to the same tire (not practical). Either way I don't think you could go wrong, the EX30 is shaping up to be a good wheel.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, JeremySPFF said:

This video is biased. The sherman-s is the only wheel there with an aftermarket tire. On the track where high speed cornering is critical, its not a surprise that he closed the gap cornering on the wheel with the most comfortable tire. The EX30 obviously performed better on straights, but I bet if the master or EX30 had an aftermarket tire, that gap would widen again. There is a reason why its the performance begode wheels taking the top spot at races like AVS. There is also a reason why almost nobody races on a stock tire at the professional level. Jack is not a top rider either. I dont think this comparison is quite fair

Edited by Cobaltsaber

3 hours ago, JeremySPFF said:

Have you ever ridden them side by side? If you come off a light and accelerate to 25 or 30mph the difference between a Begode Hero (100v) and a Begode Master (134v) is obvious. Even a S22 feels noticeably more powerful than a 100v wheel. 

100V wheels are still great! I bought a Sherman-S for many reasons not related to speed and acceleration. But if a manufacturer is shooting for the performance crown, it is tough to achieve with 100v. 

Street riding an Sherman-S, EX30, and a Commander Pro side by side, it is absolutely obvious the Sherman-S lags behind. Doesn’t make it a bad wheel, just a slightly slower one. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bustapalapno said:

it is absolutely obvious the Sherman-S lags behind. Doesn’t make it a bad wheel, just a slightly slower one

Let’s say zero to 30 mph, about how many car lengths will the Sherman-S be lagging behind?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

The Sherman S only lags behind when you are riding with others on faster wheels that are pushing those wheels, not everyone rides in that kind of situation.

I meant lagging behind in terms of status in the industry, not in terms of racing or group rides. I should have been more clear. You are totally right that the Sherman-S is not going to get left behind at most group rides. Even in my city's "speed demon" group there is a v11 that catches up at the rally points. No one is going to feel left behind on a Sherman-S except for at organized races where the Master is probably still king.

10 hours ago, techyiam said:

Let’s say zero to 30 mph, about how many car lengths will the Sherman-S be lagging behind?

Rider skill, even for a simple drag race, is a huge factor in trying to do these comparisons. From the rides I've done so far, I couldn't say definitively how far behind the Sherman-S would be. Honestly I think a lot of it is firmware related. The Sherman-S feels controlled and balanced when it lays down power. It puts it down very "linearly." Begode wheels just dump out torque as fast as they can. Even older Begode 100v wheels feel like they have more pep off the line than the Sherman-S, but then obviously can't sustain the insanity into the higher speeds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MrMonoWheel said:

How tf are you guys leaning so hard that you can tell a Sherman S doesn't have the same power as a 134v wheel?

Very true. Theres an awful lot of people stating that X wheel is less powerful than Y wheel even though they have never overlent (or even beeped) X wheel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Very true. Theres an awful lot of people stating that X wheel is less powerful than Y wheel even though they have never overlent (or even beeped) X wheel.

I can only speak for my own experience. I've beeped the Sherman-S but not tried to on the 134V wheels. I don't need to beep the wheel to feel the improved performance. The difference is apparent across the torque curve, it is readily apparent as soon as you take it on the open road. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

How tf are you guys leaning so hard that you can tell a Sherman S doesn't have the same power as a 134v wheel? Like EUCs work by balancing out whatever for you put into them, which means you would have to be right on the edge of overpowering the Sherman S to feel the difference with the higher power wheels, no?

So far I've never even heard my wheel beep from the riding I do. However the other day I finally got to try a V13, and I must say it's a powerful wheel, but acceleration wise I was still limited by my own skill level. 

Side note, now that I have had time on a V13 I can undoubtedly say I am extremely happy with my choice of Sherman S. There's no comparison, it's more compact, easier to maneuver, significantly smoother running, and just feels solid. The v13 build quality was nice but the wheel overall felt like a step back compared to the magnesium alloy Sherman S with proper fork style suspension.

At low speeds it's possible, I've seen @supercurio easily overpower a lot of wheels at low speed, seems like a nice but subjective way of testing torque at low speeds.

We also have another local rider here Simon who can easily overpower any wheel it feels like.

I could probably too but I don't have it in me.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bustapalapno said:

I can only speak for my own experience. I've beeped the Sherman-S

Thats cool, if you've beeped the wheel you've beeped it. I will exclude very slow stuff though as thats not what I'm talking about, nor are most people who are saying X is 'less powerful' than Y.

1 hour ago, Bustapalapno said:

I don't need to beep the wheel to feel the improved performance. The difference is apparent across the torque curve

But if you're not beeping the wheel you're not accessing full power. So yes you do need to be reaching beeps (regularly at various speeds) to say, with any authority, that X wheel is less powerful than Y. If you're not beeping theres more torque available in the wheel and you're simply not accessing it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

At low speeds it's possible, I've seen @supercurio easily overpower a lot of wheels at low speed, seems like a nice but subjective way of testing torque at low speeds.

We also have another local rider here Simon who can easily overpower any wheel it feels like.

I could probably too but I don't have it in me.

I agree, there are some skilled riders who can bring a wheel pretty much to the point of overlean at all speeds and virtually hold it there. If they can, they are indeed qualified to say they have reached the max the wheel can give and therefore can, with authority, compare it to another wheel. But many riders can't and don't ride on the knife edge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I agree, there are some skilled riders who can bring a wheel pretty much to the point of overlean at all speeds and virtually hold it there. If they can, they are indeed qualified to say they have reached the max the wheel can give and therefore can, with authority, compare it to another wheel. But many riders can't and don't ride on the knife edge.

If you took a Toyota Prius, and floored it from 0 to 30, and then did the same with a Ford Mustang, could you tell the difference? I think you could, even if you didn't take both to a racing track or a drag strip. Additional power affects the riding experience at all speeds. Just because you never take your Ford Mustang to a drag strip and hit 150 mph, doesn't mean that you can't enjoy the extra power when you are taking an on ramp to the highway. 

The only way to objectively compare wheels "with authority" is to put them on a dyno and measure the power output of the motor on a chart. But I think it is also valid to say that riders can subjectively feel the difference in power from one wheel to another. That subjective feeling exists at all speeds and all conditions. I can't tell you which wheel has more power at 80% PWM sustained over 2 minutes, I haven't ridden them that way. I can tell you which is faster accelerating 0 to 40 from a standing start. 

If you ride slow and don't accelerate hard, that's fine, you don't care about additional power. Awesome! Even if you ride relatively fast and do accelerate hard, you may not personally place value on having more power than you already have. In fact, that is where I sit. But I can still tell the difference.

6 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

How tf are you guys leaning so hard that you can tell a Sherman S doesn't have the same power as a 134v wheel? Like EUCs work by balancing out whatever for you put into them, which means you would have to be right on the edge of overpowering the Sherman S to feel the difference with the higher power wheels, no?

You dont need to torque the hell outta a wheel to 80% pwm beeps to feel that it is more powerful. Having more power in those 134v wheels will give you a higher powerband which you can definitely feel. You get more acceleration and "zip" for the same amount of lean. The wheel accelerates faster to get back under you in a shorter amount of time. Alot of the low end torque you feel can also come down to how the firmware is programmed and what the wheel does with that power, but I am just generally speaking. You can program a less powerful wheel to feel zippier than something with more power, but that feeling will be broken once you reach higher speeds where the actual power utilized is being drawn.

41 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

At the end of the day all wheels give you exactly what you ask from them, nothing more or less (otherwise they wouldn't stay balanced). If you hit the point where it warns you you're running out of power, that's the only time you know it's lacking power.

By that logic, an Mten4 is just as powerful as a Master Pro until it beeps, which I hope we can agree is obviously not true. Logically what you are saying makes sense if the motor is connected to continuous power source, with a perfectly steady force being applied to it. But we don't ride plugged into the wall or with perfect precision. Firmware, battery config, battery chemistry, voltage, amperage limits all play into how fast a wheel can actually accelerate with a human operator. I'm not trying to make an argument about motor specifications. I am trying to articulate how it feels to ride these different wheels side by side. 

• Like 1

What I was asking is if anyone has any data like the video I posted. I get that the begode wheels 'feel' faster, but are they? I understand the video isn't perfect, but where are the other videos I can look at? Does anyone have an actual 0-30 time performed by similar wheels and riders?

Also, a prius is really fast off the line, and would probably take the mustang 0-30 until it switched over from batteries to motor. It has more initial torque and less weight than the mustang. This is the reason I cant rely on 'feelings' and need actual data.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, eucVibes said:

the sherman s is fast af

True, but the EX30 and all the others are fast too. How can we find out who is actually king of the mountain and not rider or tire differences. 0-30? 0-45? Or maybe 0-max speed. So many reviewers are like 'x wheel feels faster to me'. We need two with the same tire, same rider, same conditions and multiple runs.

• Upvote 1

@mrelwoodI think you've caught me in my own confusion here as I've tried to make different points to different people. I agree with everything you are saying as individual points. I think I did at the beginning, but it's also possible you convinced me and I just didn't realize.

The point I was trying to make was less about technical discussions about wheel power in an objective sense, but more of a subjective comparison of different wheels in the real world. I don't know if it is tire size, motor design, voltage, battery setup, firmware, mainboard design. But the 134v Begode wheels, in my experience, feel more powerful than their 100v Begode and 100v Veteran counterparts. To me, that experience is more important than if I will win a drag race, or which wheel has a higher number spec sheet. And that is the perspective I was trying to share originally. 

image.jpeg.2095bfa49e2fe2580771957f14892cfb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bustapalapno said:

@mrelwoodI think you've caught me in my own confusion here as I've tried to make different points to different people.

Glad we got you there in the end though

12 hours ago, Bustapalapno said:

But the 134v Begode wheels, in my experience, feel more powerful than their 100v Begode and 100v Veteran counterparts.

And that can be true. Whats important is to not cloud any decision making by stating that it's because of an increase in voltage :)

• Upvote 1

On 3/15/2023 at 6:20 PM, MrMonoWheel said:

So far I've never even heard my wheel beep from the riding I do. However the other day I finally got to try a V13, and I must say it's a powerful wheel, but acceleration wise I was still limited by my own skill level. 

Side note, now that I have had time on a V13 I can undoubtedly say I am extremely happy with my choice of Sherman S. There's no comparison, it's more compact, easier to maneuver, significantly smoother running, and just feels solid. The v13 build quality was nice but the wheel overall felt like a step back compared to the magnesium alloy Sherman S with proper fork style suspension.

I find it harder not to cut a wheel than the other way around when trying to reach the acceleration limit, you have to control it unlike just going full lean without brain

If throwing yourself like superman as Kuji do is blocking you, you can set your pads to have a contact between the bottom of the pad and your heel which adds a leverage point it allows you to get as much power while gaining a better center of gravity and a bend in your knees that allows you to recover by being reactive when you over torque it, maybe this method will give you more confidence