Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh

Mango

14 minutes ago, Mossi said:

I found them too, but no way to get the tires from them.

Did you notice that they have a European Office in Germany?  They may be able to point you to retailers in the region.

Peporider on Telegram may be able to provide some guidance on where to find them.  He is in Spain and had the H626 on another wheel.

9 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Did you notice that they have a European Office in Germany?  They may be able to point you to retailers in the region.

Peporider on Telegram may be able to provide some guidance on where to find them.  He is in Spain and had the H626 on another wheel.

Yes, I had the same idea and already sent them an email. Has anyone else thought about where to get tires from?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

The only thing annoying me with this whole thing is the push for the lighter shocks on people up until things already shipped…

…Seeing that their last batch is ALL 68lb springs shows me the lower rate springs may be an issue even for lighter folks.

Agreed that the general recommendation from reviewers has evolved towards the heavier springs, but I don’t fault eWheels on this for early pre-orders, at least. Leaperkim initially made the rider weight recommendations for each spring rate. After a few prominent reviewers eventually converged towards recommending that the spring rates should be shifted up by one rate or more, we now have that information. 

Most of these reviewers though, are very experienced riders that do jumps, bomb stairs, etc; so they likely aren’t representative of the typical buyer. Long sets of stairs are a worst-case scenario for suspension tuning, and aren’t representative of almost any other real world conditions. WW’s review often shows him landing big jumps on the 62lbs version without bottom outs, and Hsiang (a primarily street rider) called the suspension “stiffer” than the Sherman-S and said it “trades posh with responsiveness and the ability to cushion hits from big jumps” (yes, I just rewatched to be sure ). 

At 170-ish lbs, I was also having second thoughts about initially choosing the 62lb springs before changing my order, but if that would have significantly extended my lead time, I would have happily kept my place in line for the 62lbs version. 

• Like 3

I'm sure not everyone will be doing crazy jumps and the 62lb version will be just fine for a lot of riders, can always increase compression dampening as needed as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I'm sure not everyone will be doing crazy jumps and the 62lb version will be just fine for a lot of riders, can always increase compression dampening as needed as well.

If a reviewer less than 100 lbs favored the 66lb over the 62lb, it seems safe to say that the 66lb can be made soft enough for just about anyone.  I've yet to hear anyone that has tried a 66lb spring say that it was too stiff. Too bad there weren't more 66lb demos sent out to reviewers.  

• Like 1

Why are none of the reviewers  adjusting the  spring preload to  suit their weight.  Starting with a more ideal sag would be a big help In having a better ride. Not just rebound and compression 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stizl said:

Agreed that the general recommendation from reviewers has evolved towards the heavier springs, but I don’t fault eWheels on this for early pre-orders, at least. Leaperkim initially made the rider weight recommendations for each spring rate. After a few prominent reviewers eventually converged towards recommending that the spring rates should be shifted up by one rate or more, we now have that information. 

Most of these reviewers though, are very experienced riders that do jumps, bomb stairs, etc; so they likely aren’t representative of the typical buyer. Long sets of stairs are a worst-case scenario for suspension tuning, and aren’t representative of almost any other real world conditions. WW’s review often shows him landing big jumps on the 62lbs version without bottom outs, and Hsiang (a primarily street rider) called the suspension “stiffer” than the Sherman-S and said it “trades posh with responsiveness and the ability to cushion hits from big jumps” (yes, I just rewatched to be sure ). 

At 170-ish lbs, I was also having second thoughts about initially choosing the 62lb springs before changing my order, but if that would have significantly extended my lead time, I would have happily kept my place in line for the 62lbs version. 

coming from a motorcycle background - the majority of motorcycles (not harley davidson) are set up for around 70kg. It is probably the same for euc - folk in asia are generally lighter than us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

If a reviewer less than 100 lbs favored the 66lb over the 62lb, it seems safe to say that the 66lb can be made soft enough for just about anyone.  I've yet to hear anyone that has tried a 66lb spring say that it was too stiff. Too bad there weren't more 66lb demos sent out to reviewers.  

Meanwhile there's plenty of Sherman S 62lb wheels out in the wild and people praising the suspension and being very happy with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Meanwhile there's plenty of Sherman S 62lb wheels out in the wild and people praising the suspension and being very happy with it.

Longer suspension travel and people probably aren't sending them quite as hard as people are sending the Patton demos.  Soft, supple, and buttery smooth is great for street riding and can probably be adjusted so that bottom outs don't happen often on the streets. 

The 66lb wasn't originally available for the Sherman-S - I bet we see a lot more 66lb versions selling now.  I know someone that weighs about 170 that sold their Sherman-S with a 62lb spring so they can buy a 66lb one.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

If a reviewer less than 100 lbs favored the 66lb over the 62lb, it seems safe to say that the 66lb can be made soft enough for just about anyone. 

I agree, and that review was admittedly the tipping point for me to change my order. She does ride down some big stair sets though. 

2 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I know someone that weighs about 170 that sold their Sherman-S with a 62lb spring so they can buy a 66lb one.  

why didn't he just buy a 66lb suspension post

1 hour ago, stizl said:

I agree, and that review was admittedly the tipping point for me to change my order. She does ride down some big stair sets though. 

True, but she said she rode the 66lb on trails and didn't find it too stiff.  If the 66lb was too much, she would have been bounced all over the trail.  That didn't seem to be the case.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stizl said:

…Seeing that their last batch is ALL 68lb springs shows me the lower rate springs may be an issue even for lighter folks.

Suprisingly, the lighter riders (under 150lbs) where I am were able to bottom out the 66lbs suspension patton. I think the less travel of the patton compared to the sherman-s makes it easier to bottom out. The 66lbs suspension still felt super soft to me, even softer than a 62lbs suspension sherman-s. A 66lbs sherman-s felt stiffer to me. I didnt get to play around with the rebound much, but thats how it felt like to me

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cobaltsaber said:

Suprisingly, the lighter riders (under 150lbs) where I am were able to bottom out the 66lbs suspension patton. I think the less travel of the patton compared to the sherman-s makes it easier to bottom out. The 66lbs suspension still felt super soft to me, even softer than a 62lbs suspension sherman-s. A 66lbs sherman-s felt stiffer to me. I didnt get to play around with the rebound much, but thats how it felt like to me

I think there is overlap between the 66lb at its softest setting and the 62lb at its firmest setting.  It would be great if soneone did a thorough investigation and documented the findings.

Where is Supercurio when we need him?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I think there is overlap between the 66lb at its softest setting and the 62lb at its firmest setting.  It would be great if soneone did a thorough investigation and documented the findings.

Once the production Pattons start getting in peoples’ hands we’ll start a dedicated thread for posting static sag measurements at various spring rates and preloads. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/19/2023 at 10:15 PM, stizl said:

This just in from eWheels:

----------------------------------

Here's a quick Friday update on your Veteran Patton order:
the production is split across three different shipments:
1) 28pcs, currently underway, with an ETA for the first week of next month. This will cover deposits placed up until March 25th.

2) Additional 72pcs, from the same batch 1 production. This will likely cover the remaining deposits, from March 25th to present, depending on the tire & suspension preference ratio. The arrival of these is scheduled for June 12th, with another week for the standard port-processing time.

3) A further 28pcs [all with the 66lb shocks] is being wrapped up next week, with an ETA for late June.   

In summary, all the Pattons will be arriving within a few weeks of each other, if there is a preference to change the initial suspension to a heavier 66lb type.

All of the productions have undergone independent QC checks for battery packs voltage, tire fittings, motors/bearings, etc. A sample report can be found below.

For the tires: the Patton has the same off-road tire as the T4, the Dingxin J802, in a 18x3" size; while the street tire is the CY H-626 3.0/12" (pics below).

Finally, we'll be including these Powerpads for all Customer orders.  

Hope this helps & have a great weekend,

Jason  

------------------------------

240420- LK Patton QC Inspection, 28pcs.pdf 1020.63 kB · 3 downloads

Forgot to check whats under controllers box.. wheres is most important quality... bad things

Edited by Milordas
  • Like 1

"Hsiang (a primarily street rider) called the suspension “stiffer” than the Sherman-S and said it “trades posh with responsiveness and the ability to cushion hits from big jumps”

I think the difference that is missed here is length of travel. Longer travel is plusher, shorter travel is harsher (given the same conditions). 

Edited by Uras
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Milordas said:

Forgot to check whats under controllers box.. wheres is most important quality... bad things

I don't think veteran typically have issues with their quality of controller parts. Plus I think they fixed the few issues with that early on which was based around sealing it. 

Granted their solution was not the best, but it will do until they put a proper channel and gasket around the controller board.

Hopefully they do their QA before sealing the top off.

I am quite happy they check the batteries and stuff, it's more than most other manufacturers have been doing.

8 hours ago, Uras said:

"Hsiang (a primarily street rider) called the suspension “stiffer” than the Sherman-S and said it “trades posh with responsiveness and the ability to cushion hits from big jumps”

I think the difference that is missed here is length of travel. Longer travel is plusher, shorter travel is harsher (given the same conditions). 

I think what is missing is a common frame of reference so everyone is on the same page.

The word, "stiffer" is a relative term. By itself, it doesn't mean much. I think it is misleading. 

I remember jumping on a first batch S18. I can see why people saying it felt stiffly sprung. In comparison, there is no way, people will say the Patton is stiffly sprung. 

Maybe the 66 lbs sprung Patton was less undersprung than the 62 lbs spung Sherman-S, or the sag wasn't set right, and or different damping settings?

The Sherman-S may have a bit more travel, so the SAG in mm could be a bit more.

I would surmise most riders will find both the Patton and the Sherman-S to be comfortable riding wheels. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, techyiam said:

I think what is missing is a common frame of reference so everyone is on the same page.

Easy - "all else being equal" (I did say "given the same conditions"). So, all else being equal, longer travel suspension is going to be more plush / less harsh than shorter travel suspension. It's very basic. Sag is generally 30%; less if you jump. With a spring the only way to adjust sag is to tighten the spring for less sag, loosen it for more sag (preload) - does the patton have a preload adjuster? Otherwise sag is adjusted via different spring rates (or changing your riding weight). Of course if the spring is too light for your weight, you'll just have more sag. If the spring is too heavy, less sag. Pre load adjusting can only do so much - it's more for fine tuning.

Edited by Uras
  • Like 2