Sherman S Disassembly Findings, Thoughts, and Ownership Log

MrMonoWheel

my cap cracked too

also the axle mounts have fore and aft flex (obviously not the axle mount that flexes but the stanchion) and have rubbed on the inside of the battery case, not just the cover but the actual axle mount or backing or whatever you want to call it

theres more, but i cbf typing...

its still best suspension wheel on the market, these minor issies will be easily rectified during production with no real need for new version wheels just refinement along the way

Edited by MexicanBatman
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, MexicanBatman said:

my cap cracked too

also the axle mounts have fore and aft flex (obviously not the axle mount that flexes but the stanchion) and have rubbed on the inside of the battery case, not just the cover but the actual axle mount or backing or whatever you want to call it

theres more, but i cbf typing...

its still best suspension wheel on the market, these minor issies will be easily rectified during production with no real need for new version wheels just refinement along the way

Oh wow, glad to know I'm not the only one. How did you get a replacement?

reseller is ordering a new part

but i was careful to torque it too, but it cracked

i would like to see a better quality machined part as the cover rather than cast, but cant have it all

• Like 1

grat infos thanks ;)

5 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

Now in regard to the ride of this wheel, its something I had to experience to understand. Despite the weight and 20 inch tire (even with a knobby), this wheel feels like it is on rails. Straight line riding is stable and smooth, I love the whirring the wheel gives off as you ride. The thing that really astonished me was the handling through turns. I was expecting this wheel to resist turning due to the gyroscopic forces and all that, but I actually think the higher center of gravity due to the batteries and suspension helps counter that force and lets the wheel effortlessly lean in turns. And its not all about the high speed.

Low speed maneuvers are easy which is something I did not expect. I can turn on a dime just like on my smaller V11 that I had ridden for a year. I did have to get used to using power pads, but it makes this wheel feel that much better.

this relates to the knobby with a wider rim, if you put a street tire on the wheel will stay more upright 

Edited by EMA

I have sent an email to Leaperkim regarding all of these issues as well as contacted GTKing on Aliexpress. I'd be happy if they sent me a replacement part for the bracket that cracked as well as new pedal extensions for ones that arent heavily rusted. As far as the contact between the suspension and battery housing, as @InfiniteWheelie said this is a problem  of the battery housing flexing under load. As such there isn't anything they will be able to do for me (or any of us) since it would take a redesign to fix. Its possible that it will kinda wear itself in and stop being a problem, but its definitely something to keep an eye on over time.

• Like 2

Update. GTKing got back to me saying he forwarded all this to Leaperkim and they will supply him with the parts I need to replace. Not sure on the timeframe as of yet, hopefully these things can be rush shipped so I can get on the wheel.

In the meantime, here are some better pictures of the cracked part and my analysis.

As you can see, the part cracked right across the line that has pressure being applied on it from the bolt. The metal also looks like cheap pot metal. 

IMG_COM_20230103_1240010.thumb.jpg.bd660872fe77f5ed5f8a36c6a83de8d3.jpg

In this image, you can see the additional recess the bolt goes into. This makes the actual usable material only a few mm thick, and there is no reason for this recess it just weakens the part and forms a place for failure to occur. I stacked some washers on the bolt to raise it up as though the recess didnt exist, and the head of the bolt still sat below the surface of the part and would not interfere with anything.

IMG_COM_20230103_1240011.thumb.jpg.392f6d091ac32a7dbf2668a29c0d11ad.jpg

So in the meantime while I wait for the parts to be sent out, I am JB Welding the part together and will see what happens. The only sketchy part is if it fails I wont be able to see it, but the crack is clean and the surface is nice and rough so I think it will hold. Yes I am aware this is probably a very bad idea.

IMG_COM_20230103_1240012.thumb.jpg.b7104bf3a43fc4336571eed8b658ec51.jpg

Edited by MrMonoWheel
Images weren't working
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

I stacked some washers on the bolt to raise it up as though the recess didnt exist, and the head of the bolt still sat below the surface of the part and would not interfere with anything.

I don't think the washers are going to help. 

I think this is simply brittle fracture under tensile loading. The tensile stresses were too high for the particular UTS of the material, and the size of the cross-sectional area (approx. the fracture area) the tensile force was acting.

They can use a stronger material, larger cross-sectional area, or both.

If Wrongway and others were able to do all kinds of jumps and drop without cracking it, then it may be prudent to be cautious with the tightening torque. I think structurally, the required clamping force doesn't necessitate high tightening torque? 

Like you said, the part doesn't look particularly strong. 

I noticed when I work on electric wheels, I need to be extra careful with tightening torque than with mtb's, motorcycles or cars. 

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

I don't think the washers are going to help. 

I think this is simply brittle fracture under tensile loading. The tensile stresses were too high for the particular UTS of the material, and the size of the cross-sectional area (approx. the fracture area) the tensile force was acting.

They can use a stronger material, larger cross-sectional area, or both.

If Wrongway and others were able to do all kinds of jumps and drop without cracking it, then it may be prudent to be cautious with the tightening torque. I think structurally, the required clamping force doesn't necessitate high tightening torque? 

Like you said, the part doesn't look particularly strong. 

I noticed when I work on electric wheels, I need to be extra careful with tightening torque than with mtb's, motorcycles or cars. 

Maybe I misworded what I meant. I stacked some washers just to see how deep the screw head would sit had there not been a recess, and it still would not protrude out. Basically this shoes they could remove the recess and leave more material there for a stronger part. I agree that these wheels do need to be assembled more carefully as the materials aren't always the strongest.

Regarding the dust covers, they are free to rotate with the wheel or not. Nothing is holding them in place except friction.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, techyiam said:

But based on what you have observed, when the wheel is moving were yours rotating or stationary? 

Thanks.

When the wheel turned they rotated but not as fast as the wheel because of the friction on the axle. My guess is over time they will spin with as fast as the wheel.

Edit: Was wrong. The mudguard support and suspension mount apply pressure to the rubber seal holding it in place.

Edited by MrMonoWheel
Was wrong
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrMonoWheel said:

When the wheel turned they rotated but not as fast as the wheel because of the friction on the axle. My guess is over time they will spin with as fast as the wheel.

Interesting compromise. Limited slip on both the hub surface and on the axle. They want the seal to seal around the axle but not overly tight.

I might have to try that on my Abrams. 

Thanks.

5 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Did those pictures not come through for anyone else?

4 hours ago, Steve Evans said:

nope - i dont see them either. just a symbol indicating missing image.

Huh, that's strange. I see them as well as on a different device. Ill edit the posts and reupload them hopefully that fixes it. Are the ones in the first post loading?

32 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yes. They always worked properly.

same. btw, just rechecked those images after page refresh - they are still absent. btw, its not the usual broken image icon, it looks like what i imagine might be a 'security fail' icon 

2 hours ago, Steve Evans said:

same. btw, just rechecked those images after page refresh - they are still absent. btw, its not the usual broken image icon, it looks like what i imagine might be a 'security fail' icon 

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yes. They always worked properly.

I resized the images and re-uploaded them, it hopefully is working now.

12 hours ago, techyiam said:

But based on what you have observed, when the wheel is moving were yours rotating or stationary? 

Thanks.

I have to revise what I had said earlier. When I had spun the wheel I didn't have the plastic mudguard support and stanchion mount bolted to the axle. It seems now after having all that connected it puts some pressure on the rubber seal preventing it from turning, so it infact stays stationary.

• Like 2