Sherman S Disassembly Findings, Thoughts, and Ownership Log

MrMonoWheel

I second that, many many thanks for this information and pictures putting all together. Mine is underway since 11th of December and hopefully here in about 4 weeks.

• Like 3

It seems the JB weld may be holding for now. GTKing has shipped the replacement part as well as the seat/pads I ordered, I am surprised how fast it was taken care of. 

On another note, I measured the diameter of the phillips screws that are located all over the sherman S (around 40 of them) and it came out to 3.78mm with a length of 10mm. I believe this corresponds to a M4 x 10mm bolt, so I have ordered the follow pack of stainless button head hex bolts to replace everything with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084Q8YRY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another observation, when I have the wheel standing and slowly press down on it there is very obvious stiction occurring, however this is not felt when riding. I don't believe this an issue as its almost impossible to make a suspension system with no stiction. I will keep my eye on it though. I also noticed that the black countersunk screws that hold the battery housings to the shock towers had some metal shavings underneath when I removed the housing. Upon closer inspection it seems the black screws are just about reaching the end of the threads causing some metal to be cut away. These screws could be 2mm shorter to alleviate this issue, although I don't think its a big deal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

I have to revise what I had said earlier. When I had spun the wheel I didn't have the plastic mudguard support and stanchion mount bolted to the axle. It seems now after having all that connected it puts some pressure on the rubber seal preventing it from turning, so it infact stays stationary.

Thanks for that. With the initial piece of information, I now know that the sealing surfaces are not on tight. That is good to know. But with external pressures, the seals can stay stationary. 

• Like 1

@MrMonoWheel Thanks a lot for doing this disassembly and all the other things. It will be a great benefit for us whom are waiting for their wheels to arrive. I'll be sure to look out for the things you've pointed out.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 2

So today I was doing some riding and realized I have yet to hear beeps while riding. I got the wheel down to 40% battery and was still cruising at 40mph without an issue, so I loaded up EUC world. I turned on "Use wheel alarms" assuming it would alarm in the app at the same time the wheel beeped, but that isn't what happened. The app was having alarms go off at 16-20mph while the wheel still wasn't beeping all the way up to 40mph (I didnt push further). Am I doing something wrong in the setup of the app?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

So today I was doing some riding and realized I have yet to hear beeps while riding. I got the wheel down to 40% battery and was still cruising at 40mph without an issue, so I loaded up EUC world. I turned on "Use wheel alarms" assuming it would alarm in the app at the same time the wheel beeped, but that isn't what happened. The app was having alarms go off at 16-20mph while the wheel still wasn't beeping all the way up to 40mph (I didnt push further). Am I doing something wrong in the setup of the app?

LK doesn't transmit that sort of stuff over bluetooth so things like use wheel alarm will not work, you will have to setup all your own values there, since Sherman S is a brand new wheel I don't think anyone can give you the best values to put there you will have to do some trial and error, safety margin is a good alarm to play around with, start with 20% and go from there.

To test if the beeper on your wheel works you could freespin the wheel.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

Something to watch out for is that the plastic they make the motherboard cover out of is very soft and thin around the screws. This causes it to easily deform and split when tightening, even when not making the screws very tight.

Do you think it could be useful to use flat watchers (nylon, rubber or something else s material) with all the screws to prevent this issue and the one you already experienced with the broken metal cap?

8 hours ago, rdouvi said:

Do you think it could be useful to use flat watchers (nylon, rubber or something else s material) with all the screws to prevent this issue and the one you already experienced with the broken metal cap?

I considered that as well but it wouldn't help since the problems are from the material failing under torque of the screws. The metal cap cracked pretty easily and the motherboard cover is just very soft material. 

4 hours ago, rdouvi said:

This weak part is now referenced in store. This certainly confirm you are not the only one who experienced the issue. 
https://a.aliexpress.com/_ExKK6Ur

I noticed that as well! Good to see we can get them replaced. Mine should be here in a week or so, and the LK pads and seat combo should arrive any day.

3 hours ago, DragonFZ said:

I just got my Sherman S today. I am going to order those replacement hex screws... thanks for the link.

How do I access the high speed mode? 

Does anyone know how to adjust the suspensions?

High speed mode needs to be added via a firmware update. Download this app (android required) and update the firmware, then it is in the menus.

https://github.com/Leaperkim/Updated-APP-Firmware/blob/f156f48f606fcb20bda0d4cd9733199cfe510df7/LeaperKim-1.0.3 221206.apk

Suspension adjustment is pretty straightforward, but I've left mine stock and it's fantastic. Adjust to suit your liking, perhaps start with static sag and go from there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrMonoWheel said:

……

High speed mode needs to be added via a firmware update. Download this app (android required) and update the firmware, then it is in the menus.

….

As someone new to much of this, does this mean there is no App from / for Leaperkim for Apple?

3 hours ago, TheNotoriousEUC said:

As someone new to much of this, does this mean there is no App from / for Leaperkim for Apple?

Yes, no apple support and I wouldn't hold my breath on support coming soon anytime. Even the android app is not the most reliable and is not available in the playstore. So you have to download an english version that was translated by someone from the community and is on github. So bluetooth app and support is far from optimal and a far cry from the likes of Inmotion, KingSong and Begode.

If you use the github version for firmware updates, be sure to read how to use it and set it up properly to minimize the chances of a bricked firmware due to a failed update which would render the wheel temporarly unusable and can be quite a pain to unbrick. 

There is telemetry coming from the wheel via bluetooth but almost all settings need to be setup via the onboard menus on the Sherman if you want to change them. No remote control of the wheel but you have access on Eucworld or DarknessBot to speed, battery information and more. The last two apps are not from the manufacturers and are the go-to apps that are compatible with many wheels and are constantly updated with a host of features but vary between wheels. 

While bluetooth app is unprofessional and a weakpoint on Leaperkim wheels, on a daily usage it doesn't matter that much for most riders as it is easy to change settings on the wheel via screen/menus. Just be carefull if you want to do a firmware update and it is better to wait and confirm with others on the forum that the firmware update is working.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, lucaluca said:

Yes, it reduces safety margins and puts more load on the motherboard and the batteries. Only time will tell how the wheel behaves. I think plenty of people unlock this mode when they receive the wheel and look forward to added performance. But only the people pushing the wheel at the limit on a regular basis will be able to give feedback if this mode leaves enough safety margin. 

I would like to know if there is also added performance at slower speed with a boost in acceleration or if it just allows for a higher top speed. The former interests me but i can live without the latter. 

I was going to install the LK App and have it on High Speed mode. A few things stop me on the way there.

1. Github App is sketchy and my phone has too much sensitive information

2. There are 2 apk files, I didn't know which one to choose. (Glad I stopped... forgot wrong firmware update can BRICK your device)

3. RogerEUC mentioned LK was using "Phrase Vector" (can't remember the exact words) to get higher speeds out of the motor. My buddy who knows a lot about electric motors states, yes, that will work to get a higher speeds but at the cost of energy consumption and torque. Note: this is all speculation or if it can be turned off at low end to get torque and turned on at the high end. Lack of information 

I can wait for Beta testers/early adapters to figure it out. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DragonFZ said:

I was going to install the LK App and have it on High Speed mode. A few things stop me on the way there.

1. Github App is sketchy and my phone has too much sensitive information

2. There are 2 apk files, I didn't know which one to choose. (Glad I stopped... forgot wrong firmware update can BRICK your device)

3. RogerEUC mentioned LK was using "Phrase Vector" (can't remember the exact words) to get higher speeds out of the motor. My buddy who knows a lot about electric motors states, yes, that will work to get a higher speeds but at the cost of energy consumption and torque. Note: this is all speculation or if it can be turned off at low end to get torque and turned on at the high end. Lack of information 

I can wait for Beta testers/early adapters to figure it out. 

There's no risk, you should just update it.