Police offers just told me it's 500$+ fine to ride EUC?

RoboFixIt

On 7/22/2023 at 2:49 AM, Funky said:

:roflmao:Better stay off the roads..

EUC place is on sidewalks. (At least smaller/slower ones for sure.)

And yes - i know in some dumb countries you aren't allowed to ride on sidewalks - which in my mind is backwards stupid. 

its 'dumb' to ride on sidewalks which are full of pedestrian traffic... funky,  are you really serious about riding on sidewalks and staying off the street ?  you impress me as being an experienced euc rider,  it doesnt make sense to me that you feel this way...

On 22/07/2023 at 11:01, techyiam said:

Roulez-vous le long de la route ou dans les voies réservées aux voitures et aux camions ?

You can ride on 50 km/h roads for cars and trucks when there are no bike lanes, but we have the 25 km/h limit for all eucs. If there are bike paths in a city, it is an obligation for eucs.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bpong said:

its 'dumb' to ride on sidewalks which are full of pedestrian traffic... funky,  are you really serious about riding on sidewalks and staying off the street ?  you impress me as being an experienced euc rider,  it doesnt make sense to me that you feel this way...

In my country we only ride sidewalks.. Even regular bikes ride sidewalks.. Regular bikes can ride streets, if you have license, but most choose to ride sidewalk. (In some cases pedestrians and even cars share same path/road. - front of houses.) In our eyes EUC riders who ride on streets are crazy ones. Ridding the small toy getting run over by a car...

Riding on sidewalks are normal here. Doh we have the 25km/h speed limit on sidewalks.. On empty paths we can go faster, because no-one is around.

I never have ridden on streets and will never.. Why should i? I got nice non busy sidewalk right next to street. (We got somewhat empty sidewalks.. Even in city center you can easily go 40km/h speed. Because no-one is blocking your path.. No-one is around.) Ofc you need to slow down around blind corners and blind areas. 

Edited by Funky

3 minutes ago, Funky said:

In my country we only ride sidewalks.. Even regular bikes ride sidewalks.. (In some cases pedestrians and even cars share same path/road. - front of houses..) In our eyes EUC riders who ride on streets are crazy ones. Ridding the small toy getting run over by a car...

Riding on sidewalks are normal here. Doh we have the 25km/h speed limit on sidewalks.. On empty paths we can go faster, because no-one is around.

got it,  its relative to where you are,  and what is considered safe your your part of the world....

• Upvote 1

On 7/22/2023 at 2:49 AM, Funky said:

:roflmao:Better stay off the roads..

EUC place is on sidewalks. (At least smaller/slower ones for sure.)

And yes - i know in some dumb countries you aren't allowed to ride on sidewalks - which in my mind is backwards stupid. 

A dense city, where people step out of the building directly onto the sidewalk is an accident waiting to happen. 

7 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

A dense city, where people step out of the building directly onto the sidewalk is an accident waiting to happen. 

Luckily i live in GHOST town.. And we don't have houses/front shops, where people can step out any moment. Most houses got those 3 steps, where you need to walk down. Even then you got 2 more meters till the path/road. :D 

Riding to job i see maybe 5 people at morning? No really - I'm not joking..(4km distance.) Maybe 10-30 people in middle of day riding home. My riding area is perfect to ride on sidewalks, because non busyness. <3  And no danger of getting run over by a car.

In big cities, where people are arms length apart from each other always.. Now there is no place for EUC at all.

Edited by Funky

It is only legal for us on the sidewalk in our country, we can’t ride all roads. 
You just have to ride how you can in your town i guess. I just ride to suit conditions and be considerate. 

Edited by Forwardnbak
  • Like 2

We still don't really have any rules/laws about EUC's. I'm going of by scooter laws, which we got.. They can be ridden anywhere, but always need to GIVE WAY to pedestrians and follow 25km/h speed law. Sure you can ride street side lane, same as regular bicycle - if you got any other vehicle license. But i personally have never seen any of scooter riders - riding streets with cars. And let alone few EUC riders that are around here. We all are riding on sidewalks. Even in big city we still are riding sidewalks. Yes we got more people around there. But compared to NYC and all those "Crazy ZOO Cities"(I like to call them like that, because i would never want to live there.) where people are arms length apart from each other.. Our big city is somewhat "empty". You still can ride pretty fast on EUC, because people few and long apart from each other.

Of course you still need to use brain and slow down around people.. Especially for those - who don't see you coming from back side. Always thank them when they let you pass and all that. Don't be moron ally rat racer - be a human being. We can walk and we can ride on sidewalks, just don't go 30km/h+ around people..

Edited by Funky

I stay out of Vancouver but  Surrey,Delta, PoCo and Richmond have been zero issues with cops but New Westminster police, they stopped me when they were hiding in the bike path doing a speed trap for cars and said complaints have been reported. They basically said, stay off the roads and slow right down for the pedestrians on the shared pathways, if noone complains they will let us be. That was about 4 months ago and I ride past them everyday. If you get in an accident and If icbc asks if it has a seat, say yes and don't go for damages.

• Like 2

CBC Vancouver did a neutral piece surrounding electric wheels ticketing, and PEV regulations in Vancouver. 

They didn't make anybody looking like a bad guy.

It's more from the perspective of laws and enforcement having to adapt sensibly to emerging technologies in personal transportation devices. Nice.

45 minutes ago, techyiam said:

CBC Vancouver did a neutral piece surrounding electric wheels ticketing, and PEV regulations in Vancouver. 

They didn't make anybody looking like a bad guy.

It's more from the perspective of laws and enforcement having to adapt sensibly to emerging technologies in personal transportation devices. Nice.

This is the video I linked two pages back, though I didn't embed it so I can understand missing it. No hard feelings at all and if anything I don't mind discussing it more :laughbounce2:. I do agree that the tone of the video was really better than what we could have asked for than the coverage from FOX 5 NYC a year back. I'm glad that many people in the comments are supportive and understand the value of advocating for alternative transport, pointing fingers at systemic problems rather than us riders. While there is one guy who considers riding an EUC as basically the same as an illegal dirt bike or ATV, but he fortunately seems to be in the minority.

Given that you're around the area and hearing from other people's experiences, I think I may have started thinking a bit too much about doom and gloom. Here's to hoping that we'll stay on the road in NA for the future to come.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Flygonial said:

I think I may have started thinking a bit too much about doom and gloom. Here's to hoping that we'll stay on the road in NA for the future to come.

At the very end of the video, they got a VPD spokeswoman to make a brief comment. And I thought what she said was encouraging. Basically, the VPD understands electric wheels and other pev's are not creating havoc all over the city and causing much widespread harm.

Like electric scooters, electric wheels should not need insurance to operate. It is just that the BC laws make all vehicles illegal until specifically made legal in the BC Motor Vehicle Safety Act. The pilot project has only permitted electric scooters for current test trial. The law just needs to catch up.

• Like 1