Police offers just told me it's 500$+ fine to ride EUC?

LightWave

On 7/14/2023 at 4:39 AM, Funky said:

He just doesn't care, if wheel will stop working one day. :D 

If i knew wheel will not fail me at all. I would not wear any gear at all. But back in my mind - i always know any moment something can die in my wheel, battery, motherboard, hall sensor... And that will make me crash.

I never leave my home without wrist guards, because i know - i will land on my hands when i fall. At those slower speeds.. Simply because i will try to run out of the fall and then land on my belly/hands. 5 second to put them on are worth it VS having no hands for weeks, as all palms are scraped and hurting to do anything.

As for helmet and knee guards (rest of my "gear"). Those i only use for "fun/faster" rides.

Yeah wrist guards are my bare minimum. If im going skateboard speeds round the corner for a snack or something it just gives me peace of mind. Had a spontaneous 16X cutout a while back and my wrists were ruined for a while. Have you ever tried the gyroriderz gloves? they're a wristguard and glove all in one, just like the hillbilly's, but they have touch screen capability. Super quick to put on compared to a glove + wrist guard combo and the fingers never get scratched up/cold. Hidden gem imo

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, zer0dayexploit said:

Yeah wrist guards are my bare minimum. If im going skateboard speeds round the corner for a snack or something it just gives me peace of mind. Had a spontaneous 16X cutout a while back and my wrists were ruined for a while. Have you ever tried the gyroriderz gloves? they're a wristguard and glove all in one, just like the hillbilly's, but they have touch screen capability. Super quick to put on compared to a glove + wrist guard combo and the fingers never get scratched up/cold. Hidden gem imo

I don't use gloves. Only in winter.

Have heard/seen them, but can't really buy them here.. Same for "hillbilly's".

1 hour ago, Funky said:

I don't use gloves. Only in winter.

Have heard/seen them, but can't really buy them here.. Same for "hillbilly's".

well...  happy happy to find those gloves, until payment method.  I dont have and never will anything "amabezos pay", no way!  Why not visa card?

Annotation 2023-07-17 131956.jpg

Edited by Robse

10 minutes ago, Robse said:

well...  happy happy to find those gloves, until payment method.  I dont have and never will anything "amabezos pay", no way!  Why not visa card?

Annotation 2023-07-17 131956.jpg

LOL there is visa right >>>> there >>>> You don't need to use amazon pay. Also 77Euros for some dumb gloves are to expensive. 

2 minutes ago, Funky said:

LOL there is visa right >>>> there >>>> You don't need to use amazon pay. Also 77Euros for some dumb gloves are to expensive. 

no, it's just a image and a notice of "secure pay" - not an option.  Idk  if its to expensive, gloves and guards in one, sounds fine to me ^_^

Also that "puck" will get torn off in first crash.. Crap gloves. Same as all other who use that metal thingy in place of puck. As you hit ground and start "sliding" that puck gets torn off. Quick google search will show what I'm talking about.

Edited by Funky

1 minute ago, Funky said:

Also that "puck" will get torn off in first crash.. Crap gloves. Same as all other who use that metal thingy in place of puck. As you hit ground and start "sliding" that puck gets torn off.

maybe, maybe not...  depends on testing, but better than no guard at all - think so :mellow:

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Robse said:

maybe, maybe not...  depends on testing, but better than no guard at all - think so :mellow:

You can see it's clearly connected in front/back.. You could even tear it off by hand. Not speaking even about whole body weight while sliding on ground.

Can't find that image.. But you get the idea. It simply gets torn off. And in some cases if its metal (other same type gloves that use metal instead of plastics puck.) - it can even get lounged into wrist veins.. Because as it gets torn off - it moves to your wrist. :facepalm: In worst case your wrist gets cut even.

Edited by Funky

4 hours ago, Funky said:

You can see it's clearly connected in front/back.. You could even tear it off by hand. Not speaking even about whole body weight while sliding on ground.

Can't find that image.. But you get the idea. It simply gets torn off. And in some cases if its metal (other same type gloves that use metal instead of plastics puck.) - it can even get lounged into wrist veins.. Because as it gets torn off - it moves to your wrist. :facepalm: In worst case your wrist gets cut even.

I’ve fallen about 2 times with these gloves and I really like them. Fell once at low speed and the slide was great, and the integrated rear wrist brace stopped my hand from twisting/bending. 2nd time was at about 45ish kph (trying dumb stuff in a parking lot) and they were fantastic. They’re a low friction plastic, same stuff as motorcycle palm sliders, no metal in sight lol, it’s like a ptfe. They’re also shaped to compress as your palms hit the ground to absorb some of the shock. If you’re doing extreme off-roading or 60kph speeds I would go for a more heavy duty wrist guard, but for the common limits of average euc’s this thing is the best I’ve found

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/electric-unicycles-illegal-vancouver-streets?fbclid=IwAR0lf7ccNU9g8ZPfu4ONxUm0zbDhs_nKe0uM_RccCOwPZKDHE61-pA4bI7M_aem_AUHfcFl-Csa3oErBE8U66MZi0Oqnt0DZHBmw-WfSjPw1lm1OZFwz0KKdMXgcC9n1wl4

That grey area we were in is no longer. I think those 2 riders should've just paid the fine and kept quiet.

😥

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

25 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

That grey area we were in is no longer. I think those 2 riders should've just paid the fine and kept quiet.

Well f**k. These agencies seem to have long forgotten that their remit should be to safely facilitate the things humans want to do, not to just lazily ban them without proper consideration of thousands of videos of it being done safely. It's the same with FAA and drones in the states - their ridiculous Remote ID bullshit is nothing to do with safety and all about control and trying to get those people out of the skies so the profit-hungry corporations can have the airspace to themselves. These people / departments are a disgrace to the office they hold. In the face of such blinkered controlling stupidity the only real option is civil disobedience and riding according to SAFETY rather than rules. It is a truly APPALLING situation that in a world where we have to move away from fossil fuels and into more environmentally defensible forms of transport and the people that are doing the right thing trying are punished for it, and disproportionately heavily.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nothing new here. Legally, there was never a grey area in BC. It is very clearly spelled out in the BC Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

The BC government reaffirms the BC Motor Vehicle Act as it is now. Electric Wheels are illegal in BC. Federally, it is not regulated since electric wheels do not appear in any classes defined in Schedule III of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

The grey area perhaps is in the enforcement. 

My gut feeling is that we are back to status quo. I am OK with that as long as the VPD doesn't decide to escalate enforcement to another level. However, it would be better if the BC government regulate electric wheels as they do with electric scooters. 

For riders who are riding in areas that are patrolled by the VPD, if you ride on primary roads, don't be surprised if you are ticketed, especially if you decide to ride in the vicinity of downtown Vancouver.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, zer0dayexploit said:

I posted this article above. To be fair it was illegal from the start, now the question is will they start enforcing the law more than they have been. I'm still going to ride and do what I've been doing as it's been working for me and I see and interact with VPD on a fairly consistent basis.

• Like 1

To expand on what @techyiam said - escalation such as bans and seizure when used on public property. It'd do the Tic-Tok and Facebook crowd some good to ruminate on that collective risk, not that I expect that to happen.

That's the big risk at play as more people buy high speed wheels to use on public roadways in lieu of motorcycles. If they become enough of a public nuisance over time, even if it's just a visibility/flaunting the law kind of thing, the more attention EUCs and EUC-like PEVs draw, the quicker this outcome is achieved.

4 hours ago, Cerbera said:

not to just lazily ban them without proper consideration of thousands of videos of it being done safely.

Unfortunately EUCs can't be made legal for public road use because the failure mode makes them inherently unsafe to use, particular in and around traffic. No legislator who has access to sane policy writers are going to codify permission of a vehicle in which an electrical failure will dump the rider into traffic. Until that technical problem is fixed, if it's even possible to do and still remain functionally what we'd recognize as an EUC, the best you can hope for is to ride under the radar and not take actions that invite your respective legislative body to escalate enforcement as @techyiam said.

In a weird alternative world where EUCs came before cars, bikes, and other means of transportation, you might have a legislative body willing to come up with a set of regulations that EUC manufacturers would abide by to ensure some publicly acceptable threshold of safety and redundancy to allow them on public roads with vehicle traffic (that hasn't been invented in this weird hypothetical situation). Considering the fact that the enforcement of design regulations for safety and compliance aren't really a feasible possibility with foreign manufactures in the global marketplace, the easy and feasible alternative is simply to fine riders and escalate to bans if that doesn't deter riders from breaking the law.

In other words, if you're in a dense urban area, don't sell your e-bike folks.

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

I posted this article above. To be fair it was illegal from the start, now the question is will they start enforcing the law more than they have been. I'm still going to ride and do what I've been doing as it's been working for me and I see and interact with VPD on a fairly consistent basis.

Whoops my bad didn’t see

• Like 1

So this ran in the news yesterday. Seems like the Vancouver area tickets haven’t slowed down :cry2:. I’m actually pleasantly surprised by how supportive some people seem of us being on the roads save for the people in the comments who see us as dirt bike hooligans. I don’t live in the area but it is legally where I would end up if I lose out on the US job market after graduation.

I do think the tickets are bull but I don’t think the laws that might be passed will come down upon the community too favorably. I can see concessions for legality at 32 km/h and everything else being treated as an non-street legal vehicle. Sure, I do think speed limits are better policy than gimping every PEV (some cyclists can break 50 km/h after all) and that this reflects a car-centric double standard, but I don’t think we’re getting any better than that from the law. I understand not allowing our higher powered wheels on cycle paths for example yet I doubt there will be a legal route to register them to be road legal given the whole debacle with turn signals. I feel society is too far-centric to  handwave this problem away and working around that would require either our wheels to have handlebars (or more unlikely, remotes) at which point it’s ruined the spirit of them.

8 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Seeing the full gear setup that guy in the story was wearing made my eyes bleed. What an opportunity wasted. 

It doesn’t really help our perception as it does beg the question of how fast our wheels really are. It’s neat that everyone in the news report was shown riding responsibly, but when we don’t have motornormativity on our side public opinion can break down fast (ie: hoverboards and drones).

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

Seeing the full gear setup that guy in the story was wearing made my eyes bleed. What an opportunity wasted. 

Yeah, that was so cringe. And only re-inforces the public's perception that EUCs are dangerous and should be banned.

I get so many more positive reactions when I'm wearing normal street clothes that covers up my full body gear. Wearing a helmet, wrist guards and knee pads is acceptable to the public.

Looking like a cheap plastic version of robocop makes one look extremely dorky.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Mango said:

re-inforces the public's perception that EUCs are dangerous and should be banned

So how do you propose eliminating the possibility of an electrical/component failure in causing motor cut-out?

Or do you not accept that the risk associated with this failure mode qualifies EUCs as dangerous, particularly for high speed wheels?