Enough is Enough

Funky

2 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Nailed it. It's astounding to me how people think they are saving the environment because the use electric vehicles.

True, yet the point in our favor is that we use light electric vehicles (aka PLEV) which does make a big difference, and most of the difference.

Other (probably less important) positive aspects of electric are reduced noise pollution (no kidding, noise pollution has a considerable negative health impact on humanity) and a better control over the location where the crap is emitted (one power plant compared to one million vehicles). It's also in general considerably easier and cheaper to make one power plant cleaner (like with a filter) than one million vehicles. But the big difference is, again, the "light" business. EUC+rider ≈ 100-200kg, car+driver ≈ 1000-2000kg which means in the order of a tenfold environmental impact.

Edited by Mono

Same thing as manufacturing electrical cars. "Upfront" the making of said car are much, much worse than regular dino fuel car. (Because of the batteries..)

But over ~5-10 years of usage. The "upfront" cost (batteries..) goes away and each passing year it gets better and better for environment.

Same thing for euc. Because of the batteries it's more environment "unfriendly", but if you use said EUC more than 1 year. It gets environment friendly. 

Anyways we are getting off-topic.... As i could give to ducks about "environment".. :D I want to see world burn. :furious:

Edited by Funky

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00391-1

09 February 2022

Nature

Nuclear-fusion reactor smashes energy record

The experimental Joint European Torus has doubled the record for the amount of energy made from fusing atoms — the process that powers the Sun.

A 24-year-old nuclear-fusion record has crumbled.

Scientists at the Joint European Torus (JET) near Oxford, UK, announced on 9 February that they had generated the highest sustained energy pulse ever created by fusing together atoms, more than doubling their own record from experiments performed in 1997.

If researchers can harness nuclear fusion — the process that powers the Sun — it promises to provide a near-limitless source of clean energy.

But so far, no experiment has generated more energy than has been put in.

JET’s results do not change that, but they suggest that a follow-up fusion-reactor project that uses the same technology and fuel mixture — the ambitious US$22-billion ITER, scheduled to begin fusion experiments in 2025 — should eventually be able to reach this goal.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/nature/

• Overall, we rate Nature Pro-Science based on publishing evidence-based scientific research and news.

Detailed Report

Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
Media Type: Journal
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY

History

Nature is a British interdisciplinary scientific journal, first published on 4 November 1869.

It was ranked the world’s most cited scientific journal by the Science Edition of the 2010 Journal Citation Reports, and it is ascribed an impact factor of approximately 38.1.

It is widely regarded as one of the few remaining academic journals that publish original research across a wide range of scientific fields.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UPONIT said:

They formed from algae, bacteria and plants, whose energy came from photosynthesis.

Also, most of the world's oxygen is produced from the oceans.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/ocean-oxygen.html
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

U.S. flag An official website of the United States government. Here's how you know we're official.

'At least half of Earth's oxygen comes from the ocean.

The surface layer of the ocean is teeming with photosynthetic plankton. Though they're invisible to the naked eye, they produce more oxygen than the largest redwoods. Scientists estimate that 50-80% of the oxygen production on Earth comes from the ocean.'

Edited by Paul A
Source
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Paul A said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00391-1

09 February 2022

Nature

Nuclear-fusion reactor smashes energy record

The experimental Joint European Torus has doubled the record for the amount of energy made from fusing atoms — the process that powers the Sun.

A 24-year-old nuclear-fusion record has crumbled.

Scientists at the Joint European Torus (JET) near Oxford, UK, announced on 9 February that they had generated the highest sustained energy pulse ever created by fusing together atoms, more than doubling their own record from experiments performed in 1997.

If researchers can harness nuclear fusion — the process that powers the Sun — it promises to provide a near-limitless source of clean energy.

But so far, no experiment has generated more energy than has been put in.

JET’s results do not change that, but they suggest that a follow-up fusion-reactor project that uses the same technology and fuel mixture — the ambitious US$22-billion ITER, scheduled to begin fusion experiments in 2025 — should eventually be able to reach this goal.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/nature/

• Overall, we rate Nature Pro-Science based on publishing evidence-based scientific research and news.

Detailed Report

Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
Media Type: Journal
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY

History

Nature is a British interdisciplinary scientific journal, first published on 4 November 1869.

It was ranked the world’s most cited scientific journal by the Science Edition of the 2010 Journal Citation Reports, and it is ascribed an impact factor of approximately 38.1.

It is widely regarded as one of the few remaining academic journals that publish original research across a wide range of scientific fields.

Indeed. Nature magazine published in 2015 an article in which was described the means by which Chinese research scientists at Wuhan had managed to produce Gain of Function viruses without the requirement of any intermediary mammalian host; these ‘chimera viruses’ and how they were made and their gain of function attributes and means of attacking human cells was later described at a meeting discussing the topic of likely future pandemics held in New York in February 2016, by one Peter Daszak, head of International research group EcoHealth Alliance (at their Wuhan research department conducting the work, with funding directed to there provided by Mr Fauci’s NIH & co, following President Obama’s banning of all further research within the USA after a potentially disastrous though fortunately contained lab leak on US home soil); the same Peter Daszak who just happened to be appointed as head of the joint team sent by WHO to Wuhan to try to ascertain what had happened, and where (in/from the lab, or the ‘wet market’); so - no conflict of interest there…

#prescient pandemic predictions 

Edited by Freeforester

On 11/15/2022 at 10:33 AM, Mono said:

I personally do not want to be able to go faster than 25km/h for safety reasons

I'm not sure where I could ride at that speed. If I was on the footpath then it would be too fast for pedestrians but if I was on the road then cars would be annoyed and continually squeezing past. Obviously if we had bicycle lanes everywhere than that speed would be OK with me but perhaps a little dull. I'm fairly old (hitting 60 next birthday) but I find 40km/h (25mph) very relaxed on the road if there's nothing behind me but I tend to up the speed to 50km/h (30mph) if I'm in traffic - it's safer as nothing is trying to overtake and I can take a more central position in my lane. If the traffic is moving faster than this then I'm on the wrong road. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I'm not sure where I could ride at that speed.

That's easy: everywhere where day-to-day cyclists ride.

20 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

it's safer as nothing is trying to overtake and I can take a more central position in my lane.

That's not conclusive evidence for being safer, unfortunately. This is the striking counterexample: it's true for motorcycles, but riding these is empirically 3-30 times more dangerous than riding bicycles, depending on where and how you count (even though motorcyclists tend to be much more geared up than bicyclists).

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I'm not sure where I could ride at that speed. If I was on the footpath then it would be too fast for pedestrians but if I was on the road then cars would be annoyed and continually squeezing past. Obviously if we had bicycle lanes everywhere than that speed would be OK with me but perhaps a little dull. I'm fairly old (hitting 60 next birthday) but I find 40km/h (25mph) very relaxed on the road if there's nothing behind me but I tend to up the speed to 50km/h (30mph) if I'm in traffic - it's safer as nothing is trying to overtake and I can take a more central position in my lane. If the traffic is moving faster than this then I'm on the wrong road. 

I ride my euc the same way i have been riding my bicycle for years. But little bit faster.. True people and such.

Again - where i live, we share paths near apartment with everything. People/cars/bike the same. Mid city center people/bikes share paths. Or bikes/cars share paths.

I choose to ride with people. Same way as bike. Just ~10km/h faster.

Ofc i slow down, if i see people.. But otherwise i'm going ~35km/h most of times. Mostly because i don't encounter people that "block" my way often. Or i simply ride around them. If said people don't see my coming, i slow down even more.. Because i know they may step sideways.

Riding true cars - now that's very "unsafe" in my mind. Riding on sidewalks/footpaths. As any speed you wish. (Ofc using your brain as you see people around..) Are much safer option in my mind. As worst thing could happen is hitting someone. And you would be the one at fault. Versus where car may hit you.. As i'm very responsible rider around people. I'm okay with that!

Edited by Funky

I think the main problem is that EUC manufacturers are focusing on making more powerful wheels, before on making safer/more reliable wheels.
For a wheel maxing out at 20kmph it might have been somewhat acceptable to have a occasional random cutout, for 50+kmph it is going to be frequently deadly, regardless of how much gear you wear.
No government is going to allow vehicles on it's streets that are proven to be unsafe in the long run and the more of those 'one wheeled motorcycles' are being produced, sold and noticed, the close you will come to EUCs being either hyper strictly regulated, or more likely, fully banned.

My ideal wheel - 35 kmph top speed; 50 km range; <20 kg; <4000 eur; 0% chance of failure, disregarding user error.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ARo said:

My ideal wheel - 35 kmph top speed; 50 km range; <20 kg; <4000 eur; 0% chance of failure, disregarding user error.

The problem though is that 0% chance of failure would reduce the failure rate by only maybe 10%, as 90% are user errors.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mono said:

The problem though is that 0% chance of failure would reduce the failure rate by only maybe 10%, as 90% are user errors.

Well you really don't need to look at user errors.. Because it's the user error. Logic. :D

It would be the same as if i nailed my battery pack with nail and say - It blew up. It should not do that! Doh.. User error.

13 hours ago, Cerbera said:

All machines fail at some point, exposed to vibration and the elements. And I don't think 0% failure rate is achievable in any system that can't maintain balance unpowered.

Doh he isn't wrong - we all want 0% failure. Even - we all know it's not possible.

• 2 months later...
On 10/14/2022 at 2:32 AM, Funky said:

subpar build quality and right out not working as intended wheels

The significant low quality of Begode in comparison to the other manufacturers of KingSong, Inmotion, Leaperkim......might be largely in part due to the physical location of their operations.

Shenzhen is the consumer electronics manufacturing capital of the world.

The addresses:

Begode          Nanbei Boulevard

KingSong       Xinghu Road

Inmotion        Xueyuan Boulevard

Leaperkim     Fuyong Junction

Begode is far away from Shenzhen.

EUCmanufacturers.png

EUCfactory.png

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

The significant low quality of Begode in comparison to the other manufacturers of KingSong, Inmotion, Leaperkim......might be largely in part due to the physical location of their operations.

Shenzhen is the consumer electronics manufacturing capital of the world.

The addresses:

Begode          Nanbei Boulevard

KingSong       Xinghu Road

Inmotion        Xueyuan Boulevard

Leaperkim     Fuyong Junction

Begode is far away from Shenzhen.

EUCmanufacturers.png

EUCfactory.png

And?

I have seen better builds coming out from individual backyard garages. :D It's no excuse to make shitty product. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Then again it's a "company", they care more about net income, than about product.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Don't buy Begode......:lol:

Actually about all manufacturers.. They need to step up the quality for these 3000$+ EUC's 

29 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Nah, just buy the right Begode. ;) Like an EX30. They're getting better all the time...

100% one of best built begode wheels till this date. I don't really care who made the wheel. I want to see quality. An actually good product for the price i'm paying.

Haven't really seen any wheel yet - that i would want to buy..

Edited by Funky