The term "Electric Unicycle" is wrong

plentora

Most people that see it instinctively call it a “one wheel”. We should just go with it. 

“yes it’s the faster kind of one wheel”. 

13 minutes ago, Vanturion said:

you'll have to talk to Richard Pryor about that one

Interestingly enough, when I typed in wonderwheel in an online search, the search results included a world famous NYC landmark featuring a 150-foot-tall Ferris wheel, and a Woody Allen film. Richard Pryor's WonderWheel wasn't mentioned.

If you tell someone that you ride a WonderWheel, that should elicit some intrigue. 

4 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Interestingly enough, when I typed in wonderwheel in an online search, the search results included a world famous NYC landmark featuring a 150-foot-tall Ferris wheel, and a Woody Allen film. Richard Pryor's WonderWheel wasn't mentioned.

I got that one too on YT search, but alas slightly more scrolling revealed this stupid "gotchya" result :lol:

Or gyro bike the term used in battle angel Alita. Yes it has only one wheel so it shouldn’t be called a “bike”.  So what. gyro bike is easy to say and are similar enough to eucs.

or gyrowheel. For those who are against calling it “bike”

or unibike. Combines uni and the common term ebike. (See above re objections to “bike”)

• Upvote 1

Just popped out to the supermarket for a few groceries and on the way some young lads on the way home from school heading towards me, one of them said to the others "look he's riding one of those one-wheeled scooters".  Oh well, I'm sure there are worse things that other people could call my e-wheel.

On 11/14/2022 at 7:54 PM, Vanturion said:

come to think of it, you'd pull off the look better with the beard, just throw on one of these and you're all set

Point of order - if you're gonna wear something whilst riding... consider making it count.

Amazon.com: MH ZONE Inflatable Alien Costume for Adult Funny Halloween  Costumes Cosplay Fantasy Costume (Adult Ghost) : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

or a little hand stand might do the trick

Handstand Man Costume : 5 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

After a brief chat, ChatGPT has chimed in. As far as sentence completion predictors go, it's not bad.

What are some better marketing names for an "electric unicycle" that people will better recognize?

Some potential marketing names for an electric unicycle could include "E-Wheel," "OneWheel," "SoloRoller," or "E-Uni." These names play on the idea of the electric unicycle being a single-wheeled vehicle, while also incorporating a catchy and memorable element. Other options could include "E-Cycle," "E-Scooter," or "E-Monocycle" to emphasize the electric and single-wheeled aspects of the vehicle. Ultimately, the best marketing name will depend on the target audience and the overall branding strategy for the product.

The challenge I see is that an EUC is not a "cycle" in any sense. Are there any names that don't involve the word "cycle"?

Yes, there are certainly other options that don't involve the word "cycle." Some potential marketing names for an electric unicycle that don't include the word "cycle" could include "E-One," "SoloRide," "E-Solo," or "E-Mono." These names play on the idea of the electric unicycle being a single-wheeled vehicle, while also incorporating a catchy and memorable element. Other options could include "E-Roller" or "E-Mover" to emphasize the electric and mobile aspects of the vehicle. Again, the best name will depend on the target audience and the overall branding strategy for the product.

The EUC is, in fact, a motor with a tire on it. Are there any names that convey that fact?

Yes, there are certainly marketing names that could convey the fact that an electric unicycle (EUC) is a motor with a tire on it. Some potential options could include "E-MotorWheel," "E-PowerTire," or "E-MotorTire." These names emphasize the motor and tire components of the electric unicycle, while also incorporating a catchy and memorable element. Other options could include "E-DriveWheel" or "E-MotorRoller" to emphasize the electric drive and rolling aspects of the vehicle. Again, the best name will depend on the target audience and the overall branding strategy for the product.

Why would "gyro" be such a horrible suggestion?

Using the word "gyro" as a marketing name for an electric unicycle is a poor suggestion for a few reasons. First, "gyro" is commonly associated with the food item gyro, which is a type of sandwich made of meat cooked on a spit and served in pita bread. This association with food could make the name confusing or off-putting to potential customers. Second, the word "gyro" does not accurately describe the function or capabilities of an electric unicycle. While gyroscopes are used in some unicycles to help maintain balance, an electric unicycle is not a gyroscope, and the word "gyro" does not accurately convey the capabilities or features of the vehicle. For these reasons, "gyro" is not a good suggestion as a marketing name for an electric unicycle.

So, in the end, it did find a couple of ideas. My favorite?

:facepalm: "Moto-Roller" - an EUC that has a price tag with a floating decimal point.

Edited by sbb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe call it a 'Pocket Car'.

Doesn't allude to any attributes of an EUC at all. 

Totally incorrect.

However, for muggles, it conveys the concept that it is an incredibly small car.

'Marketing' does not need to be factual.

It's the song that never ends, I love it.

5 hours ago, sbb said:

First, "gyro" is commonly associated with the food item gyro, which is a type of sandwich made of meat cooked on a spit and served in pita bread.

Quick, we have to rename Philadelphia because people might get confused about whether their driving to the city or ordering a cheese-steak!

5 hours ago, sbb said:

While gyroscopes are used in some unicycles to help maintain balance, an electric unicycle is not a gyroscope, and the word "gyro" does not accurately convey the capabilities or features of the vehicle.

This explanation really downplays the role that the IMU plays in all EUCs in maintaining forward-aft balance. Also kind of annoying to skip over the reasoning that gyrowheel makes the most sense as a category of micro-mobility or PEV devices since EUCs, OneWheels, and Hoverboards would all belong to this category. Then again, I haven't watched the latest WW video linked above.

Worse still, it seems I'm taking the arguments of a ****ing chat bot seriously now?

After all this rigamarole and at the end of the day, I think most people commonly refer to their EUCs as "my wheel" in conversation more times than not. Slap an "e" in front of it and ship it because I don't think we're gonna get a better substitute from all the arguments I've seen so far which is mostly just consist of opinions rather than trying to reason out better fitting wheel nomenclature.

/end thread

(just kidding, we all know the threadcromancy is strong with this one)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In the timestamped V13 review below, he talks to a stranger about his wheel. He says in Chinese - "This? It's an Electric Wheel". At least that's what the subtitles say.

Another point for the "electric wheel" advocates!

https://youtu.be/KaacNUkhTRY?t=946

Edited by InfiniteWheelie
  • Like 1