Gloves with wrist guards and knuckle protection

Robse

Wrong Way was on about those the other day, but didn't say where he got his - but he does have glove / wrist guard combo so they must exist !

Personally I don't think you need these 2 things combined. If you get some nice slim profile wrist guards they can go above light cycling gloves in Summer, and underneath MC gloves in Winter months. IMHO we don't really need MC gloves with the knuckle and finger bumps, in most crashes we are going to be mostly palms down, and you want a slideable surface there, not a grippy one, which is why I think wrist guards outside gloves is probably better.

Edited by Cerbera

7 minutes ago, slowpoke94133 said:

Yeah.. But they are all without protection for the fingers.  And every time i see a crash, people always hurt their fingers (tips)  and i need mine to do daily work, wiping my ;)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Robse said:

And every time i see a crash, people always hurt their fingers (tips)  and i need mine to do daily work, wiping my ;)

In my approx. 10 faceplants I never hurt my fingers. Always landed on palms. Probably got lucky, :D I agree that it's wise.

What's the point of knuckle protection? Genuinely curious, to me the chance of landing on knuckles seems extremely improbable.

Edited by atdlzpae

https://www.evs-sports.com/products/wrister-glove?variant=4471527440425

There were some very expensive (hundreds of dollars) motorcycle gloves having all elements: wrist protection, finger hyperextension protection, knuckles guards and palm sliders, but it seems I haven't saved a bookmark...

Otherwise, I find flexmeters protect my hands good enough, as they elevate the palm and fingers from the ground and no damage is done.

Apart from this, my experience is, the biggest harm comes from finger bending/overextension, not from scraping the knuckles. I had to recover for over 8 months from one of these.

41 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

What's the point of knuckle protection? Genuinely curious, to me the chance of landing on knuckles seems extremely improbable.

Maybe - maybe not , you never know before it's to late  - if you do a faceplant there is a risk of tumbling around.  I am just used to that protection from motorcycle, so ;)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aztek said:

https://www.evs-sports.com/products/wrister-glove?variant=4471527440425

There were some very expensive (hundreds of dollars) motorcycle gloves having all elements: wrist protection, finger hyperextension protection, knuckles guards and palm sliders, but it seems I haven't saved a bookmark...

Otherwise, I find flexmeters protect my hands good enough, as they elevate the palm and fingers from the ground and no damage is done.

Apart from this, my experience is, the biggest harm comes from finger bending/overextension, not from scraping the knuckles. I had to recover for over 8 months from one of these.

If you have all around protection on your hands, fingers, knucles, then you can clasp your hand before impact, and slide of.  In that way you will not break or bend fingers.

12 hours ago, Robse said:

Is it really the truth, that nobody makes gloves with both wrist guards and knuckle protection in one?

Yes, looks like the truth, I too have been looking for an integrated product, though I don't believe knuckle protection is that important (I just wish for full wrist guard + complete abrasion resistance). The gyroriders and hillbillies seem overpriced to me (basically they are a 10$ wrist guard plus half a 10$ glove judging by reviews of their craftsmanship). My poor man's solution is to wear standard wrist guards over some decent but not too bulky mc gloves. I wear (oxelo from decathlon over icon 1000 nightbreed gloves) when it's neither too hot nor too cold. As others mention, there are mc gloves with emphasis on palm sliders (Knox gloves are a prime example) but I think they provide insufficient impact protection in a typical EUC crash. Hence my compromise: mc glove for completely sufficient abrasion protection and some bonus knuckle protection + wrist guards for proper impact protection. Even if the wrist guard fails after initial impact and gets torn the gloves will protect me on the slide. You can also mix and match trying different gloves for different weather or tasks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atdlzpae said:

I'm also wondering. We are not having our hands on handlebar. Our knuckles are much less vulnerable to hits, crashes and flying debris.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Not Sure said:

Best I've seen is the hillbilly gloves. They somewhat protect the knuckles

Looked good, until i stumbled onto this review on amazon: ( i am not riding in rain, but.... ehhh ) wet fingers and these gloves.

hill-wet.jpg

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, bracky72 said:

Even a high quality black leather glove will do that in rain. It’s the nature of it. 

It is not. Most high-quality leather items don't bleed color. Water-soluble dyes are rarely used in leatherworks (for the obvious reason that you don't want rain or sweat to wash it out). Color migration and bleeding does occur in some leathers like pull-up which is oversaturated with oils. However I have never seen a high quality leather glove bleed color after a rain (though I had a pretty old red leather belt paint me red after I had been rowing in the rain for hours)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I made my own. Cycle Gear leather Bilt Sprint Gloves. Cheap pair of wrist guards, like the ones you got for free from eWheels, but I got the ones from Amazon that has a rigid plastic on the back of hand (eWheels free wrist guards only has palm protection). Sew it together in 3 or 4 places and mod the Velcro to wrap around wrist. I made two pairs so far. The first pair was made from leftover gear and I like it so much. I had to buy new to create the 2nd pair.

Guys buy the best gloves/wrist protectors u can.Dont skimp as ur hands are worth more than 30 $.Use Leatt fleximetres with leather gloves underneath or buy the gyroriders.Open finger gloves are just asking for ur fingers to be shredded if u slide on the road.Throw those SXXT cheap slider wristguards away as they will break ur hand in a fall  (they have that bent plastic under palm).Spend big on safety because ur going to come off!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daley1 said:

Guys buy the best gloves/wrist protectors u can.Dont skimp as ur hands are worth more than 30 $.Use Leatt fleximetres with leather gloves underneath or buy the gyroriders.Open finger gloves are just asking for ur fingers to be shredded if u slide on the road.Throw those SXXT cheap slider wristguards away as they will break ur hand in a fall  (they have that bent plastic under palm).Spend big on safety because ur going to come off!

Yes, protection is worth all you will invest in. I've invested over 1500 USD in mine and don't consider it extreme nor expensive in comparison with the trauma the gear spared me multiple times.

The important is the balance between the level of gear and the comfort. At certain point one will start skipping rides due to all the hassle gearing up and wearing it causes.

A side note: flexmeters are not by leatt.

Edited by Aztek

2 hours ago, Daley1 said:

Guys buy the best gloves/wrist protectors u can.

19 minutes ago, Aztek said:

The important is the balance between the level of gear and the comfort.

That's the point. I have flexmeters but havent' worn them in a year. I don't question their quality and protective merit, but their protection comes at the price of comfort. They are basically incompatible with motorcycle jackets because mc jackets ten to have narrow sleeves. They are hot in summer. They are difficult to wear over gloves. I did buy flexmeter overmittens at some point but they offer little abrasion resistance and are mostly a winter solution. And in winter the flexmeter interferes with jackets. In the end I resigned to shorter, lower-profile wrist guards. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yoos said:

jackets ten to have narrow sleeves.

I wear mine all the time and they play well with my moto jacket cause it has zips on the forearms...

Yes they are hot in summer, but since it took me about 6-9 months to recover from a trauma of my left index finger, I wear them, no matter what.

Thing is it takes buying lots of gear before you end up with the set you need for the season. And it is subjective as well.

Btw, when talking about hand trauma, bruising your knuckles is just very minor thing. The real dangers are breaking bones and even more joints dislocations/damage and ligament tearing. The latter are from very slow to impossible to repair and heal and can make a hands unusable if one relies on fine motor skills and coordination (like playing and instrument or performing surgery for example).

Edited by Aztek
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aztek said:

I wear mine all the time and they play well with my moto jacket cause it has zips on the forearms...

Perhaps, I'll have to look for yet another jacket (Choices are a bit limited due to money, geography, closet space. I have a revit crosby and a spidi tronic net- both have zips/clasps at the cuffs, but the opening does not extend far enough towards the elbow). A bit silly for a wrist guard to govern the choice of jacket :)!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yoos said:

bit silly for a wrist guard to govern the choice of jacket

Well, depends :) 

Can't you unzip them and pull them a bit back to place the flexmeters and after pull them and zip as far as possible? That's what I do.

Somewhat related, I always cringe hard when I see in videos people wearing finger-less gloves. Especially riding on the road! Got some quality finger damage on my first trip to the pavement early on and learned quick how to not buy shitty gloves as finger-tip injuries are acutely annoying.

Specifically I look for ones that has the rubber or plastic features that carry on the backs of the fingers up to the finger tip. Always trade-offs between comfort and protection though.

It can be hard to find the right sacrificial jacket to fit over the flex-meters too. Like @Aztek said, I look for ones that unbutton or unzip up to the elbows. I thought I'd be clever and order a couple army surplus jackets online (ebay) that looked like they'd fit the bill. The fit was atrocious, couldn't be seen in public with either of them LOL. Won't try finding a Flexmeter-compatible jacket that way again.

• Like 2