Is it really worth changing your tire on your EUC for different use cases?

mangorides

Not specifically about my EUC, but I've been a bit curious lately on why some people replace their tire with a better one, does the different of a tire really impact the riding of day to day life? or would changing the tire only be for people that have certain off road desires that can be fulfilled with a different tire?

• Upvote 1

tires have different turning feels, different grip feels, different contact profiles, different water shedding abilities. really just depends on personal preference. if you ride offroad you want extra grip. some people want more contact for a more steady ride, some want less contact for a higher speed higher range ride. some prefer how one tire feels in turns than another. some tires perform better in rain than others. its really just trial and error and your own preferences.

i axtually just got a new tire for my ex20s i will be experimenting with next week

Edited by GoGeorgeGo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

There's a huge difference between a standard/allround tire and a knobby tire, for example. If I wanted to do serious rides on mostly soft/wet (mud, wet grass, snow slush or just general winter riding, ...) or loose (sandy, gravel, ...) ground, I would definitely switch to a knobby tire. It's not like the normal tire slips easily, but you definitely notice the knobby is just rock-solid and never slips. (Sucks on roads, though, because it's loud. Otherwise I'd go knobby only.)

I even noticed a difference between CST and Chao Yang allround tires, the latter is much smoother and softer and just feels nicer (to me).

You can easily get away with riding your stock tire everywhere, it will work and you will be happy. But if you get over the mental bump of installing a different tire, you might find out you like it better (or not at all). Only one way to find out. I think it's worth trying at least once.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

As someone gets more into riding EUC's tires matter more and more. At first, I was just focused on staying up. Riding on pavement with an offroad tire is a diminished experienced. And the reverse is true as well. So, over time, as you find your riding style, you'll appreciate more the type of tires that best lend to it. 

With 1 caveat, I find that "a tire is a tire". BUT. That's because I don't ride anywhere near the limits of my tires... I don't take turns at 35 mph (can't even go that fast!!!), I ride around mud and sand if possible. I don't try to turn sharply if it's slippery. If I was pushing my tires at all, I would surely have a different opinion!

My caveat is that I discovered just how much tire profile and possibly tread design affect how a tire turns. It really does matter, or at least I am increasingly convinced it does. My data points are the H666 on my 16X, which is nicely rounded, super predictable in turns and wears like iron. I can 180 easily in 1/2 the width of the sidewalk. The TR1 on the S18 on the other hand, does not like to tilt turn at all. It starts to turn then feels like you're about to drop the wheel unless you really speed up. It's so pronounced I dismount rather than ride a 180—I just haven't been able to figure out how to make it turn tightly by tilt alone. Pumping it up rock hard really really helps it turn—but this is a trials tire with soft rubber that's supposed to mold its tread to rocks so it'll stick and not slide sideways… the high pressure works against that.

Gasp, I have a replacement tire on order for the S18. My first ever foray into the rathole of tire options. And I'm making the leap with a wheel not known for easy tire changes. But yeah, for me and my style, the vaunted TR1 isn't working and something needs to be done—it is actually reducing the times and places where I pick the S18.

Other notes: I actually like the noisy knobby, it's like AVAS—people do hear me coming. Other than turning 180s, the TR1 is fantastic. The H666 tramlines and wants to climb out of the trench commonly encountered when riding single track, the TR1 doesn't at all. I am praying the K66 isn't a tramliner—if it is, the TR1 goes back on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Whether or not changing out the tire is worth it is pretty much entirely up to personal preference. For myself, I find that the tire is one of the biggest things that changes how a wheel rides. I also found that knobby vs street made a very large difference in the range department, but that was comparing the cinderblock of a tire shinko244 vs a street tire. 

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

caveat is that I discovered just how much tire profile and possibly tread design affect how a tire turns. It really does matter, or at least I am increasingly convinced it does.

This is absolutely correct. Tire profile has a huge impact on how a tire turns. Narrower contact patch/pointier tires turn in a lot easier as they reach a higher lean angle much earlier than a flatter tire. This is also why the smaller tire EUCs out there like a tesla or V8F feel a lot twitchier/playful than say a sherman or EX (diameter plays a roll as well). The other thing to consider here is pedal height as the leverage produced from the pedals decreases as pedal height increases. Higher pedal height also has the effect of increasing the rider's perceived wheel lean and has a large impact on stability, but that's a whole different can of worms. 

Edited by Whalesmash
  • Like 1

I am poised to order a CityPro 90/ 80-14 for my Master when it gets here, but am holding off until I at least have a chance to try the stock tyre. But I suspect it won't give me enough precision and speedily responsive control for town riding I sometimes need, so am expecting to have to change it fairly quick.

• Like 1

Yup, tire choice affects the wheel's turning behaviour more than even the wheel model. Since we are on a single wheel, the differences in tire profile are emphasized compared to other vehicles. Unless you've changed an EUC tire before, the difference tends to be bigger than anyone can imagine beforehand.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 8/6/2022 at 9:19 PM, mangorides said:

Not specifically about my EUC, but I've been a bit curious lately on why some people replace their tire with a better one, does the different of a tire really impact the riding of day to day life? or would changing the tire only be for people that have certain off road desires that can be fulfilled with a different tire?

And remember tire pressure;   +/-  5-10  psi means the same wheel act like two different wheels with completely different behaviors

• Like 2

I could see wanting a specific tire on my EUC and getting that tire installed at the dealer before they ship me the wheel. I could also see choosing a different tire when the stock tire wears out. On any wheel device/vehicle tires are one of the easiest ways to make the biggest changes to performance so it's worth considering. That said no way would I be tearing down my EUC and swapping tires on a regular basis. Just too much hassle. 

I just cruise around town on my EUC so the stock tire is fine. I have no desire to change it. If I was going to ride dirt a lot I'd probably want something else for a tire.

7 hours ago, Robse said:

+/-  5-10  psi means the same wheel act like two different wheels with completely different behaviors

Yep, that.  Too low and we get excellent traction, poor kerbing performance and rubbish ride efficiency but easy control, and comfy, soft ride. Too high, and you'll be skating about like a frightened horse on a frozen lake and you'll be shocking those knee joints a treat...

Edited by Cerbera