Some New User Misconceptions/Concerns?

Saboteur_ZA

13 minutes ago, Funky said:

Thanks! This is great... seems like the perfect solution to my problem.

9 minutes ago, Funky said:

I also had foot crams - i raised front of euc upwards by 2 degree in pedal tilt = less cramps. (You need less leaning forwards to start going.)

Aah... pedal tilt! Yet another variable to consider and play with. Once I was able to ride I almost got the feeling that I shouldn't jinx it by fooling with any settings. Which is dumb, I know. I'm sure there is a lot more optimization to be gained by experimenting with the various settings. At least nothing is permanent, can always it back if it doesn't work for me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Saboteur_ZA said:

I am a trail runner, and I love the idea of being able to ride my wheel off road, immerse myself in nature, away from cars, mmmm.

You are going to absolutely love trail riding. I use push pads off road just for when I occasionally need the leverage, but don't use jump pads because the unplanned dismount is a frequent event and having gotten hung up in the wheel when I was learning, I don't want to repeat that. Especially when I'm miles from "civilization"!

Rather than jump pads for off road, get studded pedals. While some can and do ride single track on the sandpaper, I'd never ever do it again. The no sideways slip with (learned) easy get-off is mandatory in my book! It is worth spending lavishly on studded pedals, but you can also go with something cheap like studded grip tape (stuff for snowy stairs) and it works nearly as well (I can attest personally, I cancelled an order for HexTechs when they finally came back in stock in favor of keeping my studded grip tape).

Edited by Tawpie
  • Upvote 1

How strong are the helmet DD substitutes on Aliexpress?

On a Shoei helmet, the ratchet is made of metal.

The Aliexpress ones are plastic.  The price is very cheap.

Placing a lot of trust on the substitute clasp to not fail when subjected to a lot of force.

On 5/13/2022 at 6:03 PM, Saboteur_ZA said:

I am very wary of steep downhills. I find I brake a lot, unsure of whether the wheel could be over-powered if I just let it rip downhill? 

Quite the opposite. I recently did some experimenting with the phone app while riding downhill on my V11 and one apparently has to go downhill pretty quickly just to be able to take advantage of the recuperation effect our wheels have! As long as you feel you are braking downhill you recuperate very little, if any energy. The less I braked and the faster I went downhill the more I recuperated and the bigger the "power reserve" that protects you from a cutout will be (unless you have a full battery of course)

7 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I've spent the vast majority of my time without pads of any sort, I ride very loose and do my best not to clench the wheel. I think this makes pads a problem for me—I'm not used to the additional connection point and my automatic riding muscle memory doesn't deal with it well (yet, with practice…). Being too far forward on the pedals is a sure recipe for speed wobbles for me, and hitting a brake pad during an emergency stop isn't good either.

I think just letting the wheel float between your legs, not touching it at all, on a wheel that has no padding whatsoever, is both a very good look and feel. Years ago, we were amazed at these wheels doing last mile transportation at a leisurely pace. I think we've migrated moved to road-going hyper wheels, and these newer wheels make a dozen times more power but need some leverage arm for their riders to use them to their capabilities.

While I don't own a wheel with power pads, I have ridden several wheels with them; power pads are revolutionary. It's like a different category of vehicle. Indeed, with the greatly increased leverage, it is a different class of vehicle, with all that implies concerning protection.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Quite the opposite. I recently did some experimenting with the phone app while riding downhill on my V11 and one apparently has to go downhill pretty quickly just to be able to take advantage of the recuperation effect our wheels have! As long as you feel you are braking downhill you recuperate very little, if any energy. The less I braked and the faster I went downhill the more I recuperated and the bigger the "power reserve" that protects you from a cutout will be (unless you have a full battery of course)

Coasting downhill seems to regenerate something like 450 watts, or about 3-5 amps which is up there in fast charging speeds. Regeneration is a lot more than I would expect, it's a huge amount, and it's way more than my eScooter which is around 50 watts.

This is a guess, but after having several EUCs, eBikes, and eScooters, I think the EUCs is the most energy efficient of all, and it's not even close. All those others gulp down battery juice while EUCs sip it, and eBikes don't regenerate, and eScooters don't regenerate well.

My V11 went up to 1000W regenerating downhill, with a 130kg rider and a steep slope ( I guess I would have reached well over 30mph coasting down on a bicycle, not tucked in). The faster I went the more it recuperated, in a linear graph with no signs of abating. But 1000W was as high as I was willing to go because that was already significantly faster than the 15mph or so I usually cruise at, and I was only wearing a bicycle helmet and wristguards.

22 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Going down charges the wheel, but doesn't it also tax the mosfet just as much as going uphill, so couldn't it also be overpowered more easily?  I'm a newbie and I usually ride just 15mph or less on an Inmotion v8.  The one time when it beeped at me was when I was going downhill.  I was going at a moderate speed, not rocketing down.  I also notice that when I'm riding downhill, I feel what seems like a tiltback at any speed.  Is that a warning that it might get overpowered?  (This is not a rhetorical question. I'm not sure of the answer.)

1 hour ago, 360rumors said:

Going down charges the wheel, but doesn't it also tax the mosfet just as much as going uphill, so couldn't it also be overpowered more easily?

When going uphill the battery need to provide energy for climbing, friction and drag. When going downhill the battery is charged with the energy from descending minus friction and drag. Downhill is easier than uphill for the electric system, if speed is same.

1 hour ago, 360rumors said:

I also notice that when I'm riding downhill, I feel what seems like a tiltback at any speed.  Is that a warning that it might get overpowered?  (This is not a rhetorical question. I'm not sure of the answer.)

The wheel keeps you upright, not perpendicular to road. When going downhill the front of pedals are further from the road than the rear of pedals. 

9 hours ago, Eucner said:

When going uphill the battery need to provide energy for climbing, friction and drag. When going downhill the battery is charged with the energy from descending minus friction and drag. Downhill is easier than uphill for the electric system, if speed is same.

The wheel keeps you upright, not perpendicular to road. When going downhill the front of pedals are further from the road than the rear of pedals. 

Just to clarify, isn't the mosfet under load when we use regenerative braking?  In other words, isn't the mosfet working harder when we go downhill than when we are riding on level ground?  If so, then even if we have more voltage available, I thought we would have more chance of overleaning or overpowering the wheel. 

Yes I understand we are upright even when going downhill, but in the case of inmotion v8, it feels like it is leaning back slightly when I go downhill, even at slow speed.

3 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

Just to clarify, isn't the mosfet under load when we use regenerative braking?

Yes, regenerative braking can lead to overcurrent or overvoltage. Regenerative overcurrent situation happens in deep decline and high speed. Regenerative overvoltage situation happens when the battery is full or almost full before braking.

22 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

Just to clarify, isn't the mosfet under load when we use regenerative braking?  In other words, isn't the mosfet working harder when we go downhill than when we are riding on level ground?

I see where you’re getting at. Yes, the mosfets do their work when regenerative braking is applied. But overpowering and overleaning doesn’t generally happen because the mosfets have reached their limits. They happen because the battery can’t provide enough current (and voltage difference to the back-EMF). Mosfets can be all dandy and happy while the life flashes as a film in the rider’s eyes.

In a simplified form mosfets are nothing but switches that the board turns on and off. What’s behind the switches is the battery, which then delivers the power to wherever the switches dictate. Like light switches in a house. The switches aren’t damaged if the grid has power shortages.

22 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

but in the case of inmotion v8, it feels like it is leaning back slightly when I go downhill, even at slow speed.

Inmotion wheels tend to do that, so that inclines and declines don’t dip and rush your speed as much.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1