2.12 firmware serious safety issue!

Szaman

On 8/26/2022 at 8:02 PM, Funky said:

Just in case you didn't know. 80% charging is the fastest way to ruin your batteries..

Storing batteries at 100% is another way to lessen the life of batteries. From reading his post I believe this is why he was charging to 80% - "I charge to 80% because my wheel isn't used that much right now". 

4 hours ago, Uras said:

Storing batteries at 100% is another way to lessen the life of batteries. From reading his post I believe this is why he was charging to 80% - "I charge to 80% because my wheel isn't used that much right now". 

Yeah you will lose what 5-15% of the range after years..? VS having completely dead battery pack in months? Which one will you choose? :D 

I normally go for a ride next day.. So i charge mine always to 100% + 2hrs extra kept on charger. And if i know - i won't be using it for week or longer time. I go for one "fun" ride to get batteries around 50%.

You keep doing what you want with you're wheel. I just hope you charge to full + keep extra 2-3 hours connected to charger at least every 5th charging time. Otherwise you will get damaged battery pack sooner or latter.

Edited by Funky

On 7/13/2023 at 9:06 AM, Funky said:

Yeah you will lose what 5-15% of the range after years..? VS having completely dead battery pack in months? Which one will you choose? :D 

To be fair, if they only ride very little, the cells don’t get to go out of balance that fast either. The fastest I know of a pack go bad from 80% riding is a little below 2000km. If you only ride a little, even that takes a long time. So while I’m very vocal about not charging EUCs only to 80%, there are some cases where a full balance charge here and there can be enough.

On 7/13/2023 at 11:23 AM, Uras said:

"In general, it’s the storage time above 75-80% that causes most of the extra high charge wear." 

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/08/03/lithium-ion-battery-care-guide-summary-of-battery-best-practices/

Pretty standard advice.

… that doesn’t take EUC BMSs in consideration in any way. Our BMSs are severely lacking, which is why charging them to full is the only way to keep them operational in the long term. V13 and S22 are smart enough to balance whenever charged above 3.7V/cell, others require a full charge + 1-2 hours (and several hours of bleed down time if the balance is getting bad).

For more info, watch my video on the matter:

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

To be fair, if they only ride very little, the cells don’t get to go out of balance that fast either. The fastest I know of a pack go bad from 80% riding is a little below 2000km. If you only ride a little, even that takes a long time. So while I’m very vocal about not charging EUCs only to 80%, there are some cases where a full balance charge here and there can be enough.

Was just giving an "example". Some people can do 2000km in months. Some do 2000km in a year.

Of course less use - less out of balance they will be.

More use and more 80% charges - more out of balance.

• Upvote 1