How to deal with wobbles. Anything to reduce/avoid them?

SnowLover

Hey everybody! I usually wear a full-face helmet when going on the street, but this was supposed to be a camera test. Video link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeyLVGRRtrQ

A bit of context, this is my 5th session and so far I feel it’s going well. I have already done some 2km commuting and a bit of exploration. Fatigue is definitely an issue, but it keeps improving as well as turns. However, the main issue as you can imagine are wobbles.

I am currently riding a V10 and I have reached up to 25km/h which I am happy for now, but every now and then (around 18 seconds in the video) I experienced a very scary wobble. Is there anything besides practice that could help me to reduce them?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I find that relaxing and letting the wheel float between my legs (not holding it tight) stops wobbling. Also the rare occasions I get wobbles are at max speed of my s18 and it is remediated by slowing down. (Anyways I don't feel this is the right wheel for riding with over 35 km/h.)

Probably would be otherwise on bigger and heavier wheel.

Is your tire really "true/centered"? Have you tried holding you euc in hands and done a free spin test. Does it shake, if yes - not centered tire. As you speed up, you will notice wobbles at speed. Also lowering tire pressure could help. Also riders "skill" level. I still get time to time wobbles at ~30kph speeds. But same time less and less, as i ride more. 

Edited by Funky

On 3/25/2022 at 6:18 AM, SnowLover said:

Hey everybody! I usually wear a full-face helmet when going on the street, but this was supposed to be a camera test. Video link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeyLVGRRtrQ

A bit of context, this is my 5th session and so far I feel it’s going well. I have already done some 2km commuting and a bit of exploration. Fatigue is definitely an issue, but it keeps improving as well as turns. However, the main issue as you can imagine are wobbles.

I am currently riding a V10 and I have reached up to 25km/h which I am happy for now, but every now and then (around 18 seconds in the video) I experienced a very scary wobble. Is there anything besides practice that could help me to reduce them?

Thanks!

Two options are to squeeze the wheel with both legs (not ideal but it works) or to carve which presses one leg against the wheel and also stabilizes it. When the wobbles are small I find carving stops them immediately. 

1 hour ago, RamonatheCat said:

Two options are to squeeze the wheel with both legs (not ideal but it works) or to carve which presses one leg against the wheel and also stabilizes it. When the wobbles are small I find carving stops them immediately. 

I have noticed, if you stretch your body upwards (reaching upwards), it also stops wobbles. I simply ride out the wobble, till i stop..

Hi, about wobbles, the are small on a 15 kg wheel, for me. What's the difference on a 25 kg wheel for a member site here using a V11 or 16X, is there a member with 70 kg to discribe the effect and his solution ? Just a different speed or more muscle legs, big feet. 

I’ve heard many people say that you can stop a wobble by gripping tightly. With my limited experience, it is the opposite. If I am going fast, I can induce a wobble by gripping tightly with my knees. And to stop the wobble, I slow down and/or relax my knees. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think primarily, relaxing is the key. When you're tense, it translates to the wheel, and tense is not fine muscle control. It's very much like a tank-slapper on a sportbike, where the instinct is to grip tighter and chop the throttle, which makes it worse. The proper course is to lighten your grip and pin the throttle.

I also side with the two comments above; Squeeze the wheel a bit, which I think rearranges your force on the wheel, and carve, or drive one knee into/across the wheel.

In the video, you look a bit tense and it seems to lead into the wobble. You didn't fall, so your brain worked out a solution in time 😁

7 hours ago, 360rumors said:

I’ve heard many people say that you can stop a wobble by gripping tightly. With my limited experience, it is the opposite. If I am going fast, I can induce a wobble by gripping tightly with my knees. And to stop the wobble, I slow down and/or relax my knees. 

My observations exactly. And it makes sense too, making a vibrating object more bouncy by adding more symmetrical force into the system doesn’t generally dampen the vibration. A tight guitar string also oscillates better than a loose one. But making the system unsymmetrical does dampen the oscillation very effectively.

Wobbling can be deliberately induced if a rider bends the knees and crouches downwards.

The opposite may therefore stop wobbling.

ie: stand up straight, fully upright, no slouching, no crouching, straight vertical spine/back.

Perhaps try that.

Edited by Paul A
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What helped me reduce wobbles almost instantly was to reduce tire air pressure.  Reducing the PSI on my 16X from 30 psi to 26-27.5 psi worked perfectly.  Keep in mind you must consider your body weight when contemplating reducing tire pressure.  Being only 155 lbs (70 kg) allows me to reduce tire pressure without the risk of rim damage, however a heavier person may not have as much flexibility.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Dragonfly EUC said:

What helped me reduce wobbles almost instantly was to reduce tire air pressure.  Reducing the PSI on my 16X from 30 psi to 26-27.5 psi worked perfectly.  Keep in mind you must consider your body weight when contemplating reducing tire pressure.  Being only 155 lbs (70 kg) allows me to reduce tire pressure without the risk of rim damage, however a heavier person may not have as much flexibility.

127kg here, riding on 28psi - no problem. Doh i don't jump.. And slow down to crawl speeds going over curbs. < Because i know it's "lowish" psi for mine weight.

• Like 2

Youtube video observations - the fast guys generally have their legs against the upper pads, but I don't know how tightly (also they're generally using power pads). Duf is bow-legged and his inner legs don't touch the upper pads, and he has to lower tire pressure to avoid wobbles.

Turning on bumpy surfaces can trigger wobbles or make them worse due to tire flex causing variations in side load. Carving on a bumpy surface is not a good idea. Slowing down to reduce tire flexing will help.

With the EUC off and laid on it's side, you can spin the tire to make sure it's mounted on straight and check for play in the bearings or suspension.

Edited by rcgldr

One must simply embrace the wobble.:smartass: 

Seriously tho, time and practice…. And learn to carve. The more control you have the easier it is to stop wobbling and the less you care when you do wobble. 

Wobbles ain’t the boss of me!! …Do the wobble Dance.