Any Ukrainian riders?

Richardo

38 minutes ago, level9 said:

Irony - when someone exercises their right to complain about their own government while advocating for a form of government wherein they would actually have no such right :facepalm:. At least that's how that reads to me. 

I think the writer is advocating for self-determination. I don't know much about Ukrainian politics - or what happened there after the breakup of USSR. Had there been no western meddling (assuming this writer speaks truth), would they just be a vassal of Russia with a puppet gov? Or could they have achieved some kind of autonomous self-determination (under the condition of neutrality) such as is the case of Finland?  War is hell and prolonged war is prolonged hell ( with only more human loss & suffering )... At this point very hard to imagine the west or Russia will stay out of their affairs ( once this current crisis is resolved ).

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-polytics/3445182-britain-allies-agree-to-provide-ukraine-with-air-defense-and-artillery-systems.html

Thursday, 31 March 2022

Britain, allies agree to provide Ukraine with air defense, artillery systems

Britain and its allies have agreed to send more lethal military aid to Ukraine to help defend it against Russia's invasion.

That's according to British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace, Ukrinform reported citing  Reuters.

"There'll be more lethal aid going into Ukraine as a result of today. A number of countries have come forward either with new ideas or indeed more pledges of money," Wallace told reporters after hosting over 35 international partners at the second International Defense Donor Conference for Ukraine (IDDCU).

The aid will include the provision of air and coastal defense systems, longer-range artillery and counter-battery capabilities, armored vehicles, as well as wider training and logistical support.

“Today’s donor conference demonstrates the international community’s determination to support Ukraine in the face of President Putin’s illegal and unprovoked invasion by Russian forces,” Wallace said in a later statement.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, redsnapper said:

I think the writer is advocating for self-determination.

That's how it reads initially.. but note he's completely ignored all of Russia's meddling including their various coup attempts (most recently just last November). So now it just looks like a Russian propaganda piece. And unfortunately, yeah, this won't be over between the West and Russia even after the shooting stops but wars of ideology fought with words and ideas is always preferable to shells.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, level9 said:

That's how it reads initially.. but note he's completely ignored all of Russia's meddling including their various coup attempts (most recently just last November). So now it just looks like a Russian propaganda piece. And unfortunately, yeah, this won't be over between the West and Russia even after the shooting stops but wars of ideology fought with words and ideas is always preferable to shells.

agreed on all counts...

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3444941-russian-invaders-leaving-chornobyl-npp-energoatom.html

Friday, 01 April 2022

Russian invaders leaving Chornobyl NPP – Energoatom

The Russian military, who seized the Chornobyl nuclear power plant and other facilities in the exclusion zone, moved in two columns towards the Ukrainian border with Belarus.

Ukraine’s National Nuclear Energy Generating Company “Energoatom” informed this on Telegram, Ukrinform reports.

“It has been confirmed that the occupiers, who seized the Chornobyl nuclear power plant and other facilities in the exclusion zone, marched in two columns towards the Ukrainian border with the Republic of Belarus,” the company said, noting that a small number of Russian soldiers remained at the plant.

In addition, a column of Russian soldiers, who were besieging Slavutych, a satellite city of Chornobyl nuclear power plant, is being formed to move towards Belarus.

“So it is not surprising that the occupiers received significant doses of radiation and panicked at the first symptoms of the disease, which occurred very quickly. As a result, almost a riot broke out among the military, and they began to escape from there,” the company wrote.

• Upvote 1

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3445375-russian-troops-partially-withdrawing-from-kyiv-region-general-staff.html

Friday, 01 April 2022

Russian troops partially withdrawing from Kyiv region – General Staff

Russia continues to partially withdraw its troops from the north of Kyiv region towards the state border with the Republic of Belarus. The invaders also are removing the looted property.

The General Staff of Ukraine wrote this on Facebook, Ukrinform reports.

"The Russian troops continue to partially withdraw from the north of Kyiv region towards the state border with the Republic of Belarus. The convoys also include civilian vehicles (trucks, buses, minibuses, cars), which were stolen by Russian invaders during the temporary occupation of territories. In addition, the enemy is removing looted property," the report says.

• Upvote 1

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3446926-kyiv-region-liberated-from-russian-invaders-defense-ministry.html

The Kyiv region has been liberated from Russian invaders.

Ukraine's Deputy Defense Minister Hanna Maliar reported this on her Facebook page, Ukrinform reports.

"Irpin, Bucha, Hostomel and the entire Kyiv region have been liberated from the invaders," she wrote.

Ukrinform reported earlier that the Ukrainian Armed Forces had liberated more than 30 settlements from Russian invaders over the past 24 hours.

• Upvote 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/04/02/russia-ukraine-war-news-putin-live-updates/#link-SXSZO2DXHZHEVHE5ZGDC4RN3Q4

Yesterday at 12:25 a.m. EDT

A high ranking Ukrainian official said the entire Kyiv region was no longer under Russian control Saturday, as signs mounted that Moscow’s troops were pulling back from cities and towns across the capital region. And as the forces withdraw, those on the ground describe a grim scene that’s been left behind.

Ukrainian Deputy Defense Minister Anna Malyar said the nation’s armed forces were back in control of all of Kyiv oblast, and Britain’s Defense Ministry confirmed that local forces were steadily regaining control.

President Volodymyr Zelensky said Russia’s withdrawal in the north was “slow but noticeable.” 

In Bucha, a town near Kyiv, local officials and reporters say there are mass graves and bodies scattered in the streets.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/04/02/russia-ukraine-war-news-putin-live-updates/

Ukrainian flag flies over Chernobyl plant as Ukrainians regain control

By Frances Stead Sellers

5:12 p.m.

In the latest sign that Ukrainian personnel have regained control of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, the nation’s state-owned atomic energy firm Energoatom reported Saturday that the country’s flag has been raised again over the site.

A post shared on the agency’s Telegram account showed the distinctive blue-and-yellow standard fluttering against cloudy skies over a dark gray building.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/04/02/russia-ukraine-war-news-putin-live-updates/

Russian ‘looting bazaar’ set up in Belarus, Ukraine military says

By William Branigin and David L. Stern 12:12 p.m.

From the early days of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, reports have emerged of Russian troops looting homes and businesses in places they captured or passed through in their multipronged onslaught.

Now, according to Ukraine’s defense intelligence agency, the Russian military has opened a “looting bazaar” in a town in neighboring Belarus to sell the stolen property.

In a Facebook post Saturday, the agency said items for sale at the market in the town of Narovlya, about 30 miles north of the Ukrainian border, include “washing machines and dishwashers, refrigerators, jewelry, cars, bicycles, motorcycles, dishes, carpets, works of art, children’s toys, cosmetics.”

In short, it said, “everything that the Russians have gained by looting and robbing civilians in Ukraine.”

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3447206-britain-to-send-ukraine-arms-to-protect-odesa-coast.html

Britain to send Ukraine arms to protect Odesa coast 

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson intends to supply Ukraine with weapons that would help the country thwart Putin's plans to occupy its southern part from the sea.

This was reported by Ukrinform with reference to The Sunday Times.

The United Kingdom is pushing to arm Ukraine with anti-ship missiles to sink Russian warships and “relieve” coastal cities that are now being bombarded from the sea.

Johnson told officials he planned to supply weapons to Ukraine to prevent Russian invaders from advancing on Odesa, just as he had done by providing British NLAW anti-tank missiles to defend Kyiv.

Edited by Paul A

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/04/03/bucha-ukraine-graves-war-crimes-calls-icc/

Today at 10:16 a.m. EDT

Signs of massacre in Bucha spark calls for war-crime probes

Ukrainian officials said they have asked the International Criminal Court (ICC) to visit the mass graves seen in Bucha, a suburb northwest of Kyiv, so experts can gather evidence of possible Russian war crimes.

Bucha’s mayor, Anatoly Fedoruk, told The Washington Post that about 270 residents had been buried in two mass graves, and he estimated that 40 people were lying dead in the streets. Some, he said, had been bound and executed — shot in the back of the head.

*Viewer discretion advised

Mass graves, civilian bodies discovered in Bucha, Ukraine

2.2K views · 45 minutes ago

Washington Post
1.97M subscribers

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Signs of massacre in Bucha spark calls for war-crime probes

Ukrainian officials said they have asked the International Criminal Court (ICC) to visit the mass graves seen in Bucha, a suburb northwest of Kyiv, so experts can gather evidence of possible Russian war crimes.

Bucha’s mayor, Anatoly Fedoruk, told The Washington Post that about 270 residents had been buried in two mass graves, and he estimated that 40 people were lying dead in the streets. Some, he said, had been bound and executed — shot in the back of the head.

I've seen a lot of material at this point, the majority of which I'm just not going to post. They're going to be found guilty of literally every war crime mankind has ever codified into law. A critical mistake the Russians have made is that there is a lot of material out there - cell phones cams, drone video, security cameras, etc. This isn't the middle east (where they previously got away with such things). Everyone is about to find out what they're really about... and I'm not really sure what the world is going to do about it but if I were US leadership, I'd just go ahead and take them out (with or without any allies). They simply can't be allowed to continue to threaten the use of nuclear weapons so they can get away with doing whatever they want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3448091-russia-concentrating-forces-in-eastern-ukraine-and-planning-to-seize-kharkiv-mariupol-and-odesa.html

Monday, 04 April 2022

Russia concentrating forces in eastern Ukraine and planning to seize Kharkiv, Mariupol and Odesa

Russian invaders are not giving up on their intent to capture Ukraine, and the current withdrawal of Russian troops is aimed at concentrating forces in other directions.

The relevant statement was made by Ukrainian Defense Deputy Minister Hanna Maliar during the UA:Razom nationwide telethon, an Ukrinform correspondent reports.

“The war continues. Despite the fact we are strongly resisting, despite the heroism of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, despite the liberation of Kyiv Region, we must understand that the risk of escalation, the likelihood of missile strikes, including those on big cities, is persisting.

Even talking of the liberated cities, we must also understand that the war continues.

Today, the enemy is not giving up on their intent to capture Ukraine.

Now the fierce war is raging, the fierce battle for every inch of our land and for every settlement,” Maliar stressed.

In her words, the liberation of Kyiv Region, Chernihiv Region and Sumy Region does not indicate the surrender of the enemy.

Russian invaders are concentrating forces in other regions, partially retreating to Belarus and regrouping.

Today, eastern Ukraine is at a high risk, and the enemy’s goal is to seize Kharkiv, Mariupol and Odesa.

image.png.c82ca0a44fa36a3b64352a6c89fc30f3.png

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, level9 said:

I'd just go ahead and take them out (with or without any allies). They simply can't be allowed to continue to threaten the use of nuclear weapons so they can get away with doing whatever they want.

People are basically good. I cannot  say the same about governments. If we take them out what will replace them? … You can’t help those who won’t help themselves. We have learned that the hard way. 

Ukraine seems to have a backbone and a direction that is not Russian. They can be helped. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

People are basically good. I cannot  say the same about governments. If we take them out what will replace them? … You can’t help those who won’t help themselves. We have learned that the hard way. 

Ukraine seems to have a backbone and a direction that is not Russian. They can be helped. 

Yup it's not the Russian fault.. It's their government fault. Like i said, if we had no governments, no dipshits in power.. We would have less problems. Those higher ups do what ever they want, fuck the country and it's people. And that's happens everywhere.

Edited by Funky

46 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Most people are basically good; unfortunately science has indicated around 1 in 10 is a clinical level narcissist, sociopath or psychopath (bad news) and for whatever reasons there seems to be a high concentration of these types in the Russian military (it's not just Putin). As for the Russian people themselves, how many are good or bad is difficult to say; however I do have to note that Putin polls very well in Russia whenever he's been rampaging around in the past - read into that whatever you like.

In any case, by 'take them out' I mean more specifically kick them out of Ukraine. As far as who would take their place.. someone. Someone always does and they'll have to be stopped as well; such is the course of human history.

I agree Ukraine can be helped - and should. I'm not sure what we're doing at present is enough but even assuming it is a lot more people will die if we allow this to be dragged out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, level9 said:

Most people are basically good; unfortunately science has indicated around 1 in 10 is a clinical level narcissist, sociopath or psychopath (bad news) and for whatever reasons there seems to be a high concentration of these types in the Russian military (it's not just Putin). As for the Russian people themselves, how many are good or bad is difficult to say; however I do have to note that Putin polls very well in Russia whenever he's been rampaging around in the past - read into that whatever you like.

In any case, by 'take them out' I mean more specifically kick them out of Ukraine. As far as who would take their place.. someone. Someone always does and they'll have to be stopped as well; such is the course of human history.

I agree Ukraine can be helped - and should. I'm not sure what we're doing at present is enough but even assuming it is a lot more people will die if we allow this to be dragged out.

I think citizens generally get behind their leaders when they are involved in armed conflict because the leaders always use the same tactics - as was articulated by the madman Goering - 

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." http://www.mit.edu/people/fuller/peace/war_goering.html

True in Russia, US, UK - where ever... That is the nature of nationalism. Of course in totalitarian states they jail or kill any dissenting voices... If the west continues supplying Ukraine with top tier weapons systems (anti-tank, anti-aircraft,etc) Russia will have no chance to win a conventional war. They can wreck UKR via indiscriminate shelling etc. - can't see Russia stopping if they can't take back something that appears like a victory. The goalposts on that may be getting nearer as their military continues to flounder. Sanctions will not break Russia as they still have India/China to use as financial partners etc. and the EU does not appear to be ready to reject Russian gas. 

Edited by redsnapper
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, redsnapper said:

I think citizens generally get behind their leaders when they are involved in armed conflict because the leaders always use the same tactics - as was articulated by the madman Goering - 

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." http://www.mit.edu/people/fuller/peace/war_goering.html

I agree in the general sense that society tends to rally around leadership when at war. While it's also definitely true that mass manipulation of a population is real and effective it doesn't remove the population's liability. I'm speaking strictly from the fact that I'm an American and as such believe in a concept called the consent of the governed which is enshrined in our constitution. Basically, it means that no government can operate without the tacit approval of the population - even if such population is being manipulated. As an example, I follow a number of Russian vloggers. They are all well aware they are being manipulated, information is being withheld, etc. and most choose to do nothing. The number of stories I've heard from the Ukrainians of conversations they've had with friends and family still in Russia and received responses - ignoring them, gaslighting them, etc. is just heartbreaking. They refuse to listen and are consciously aware of their refusals. So.. Putin is currently operating with the consent of the governed as best I can tell.

2 hours ago, redsnapper said:

True in Russia, US, UK - where ever... That is the nature of nationalism. Of course in totalitarian states they jail or kill any dissenting voices... If the west continues supplying Ukraine with top tier weapons systems (anti-tank, anti-aircraft,etc) Russia will have no chance to win a conventional war. They can wreck UKR via indiscriminate shelling etc. - can't see Russia stopping if they can't take back something that appears like a victory. The goalposts on that may be getting nearer as their military continues to flounder. Sanctions will not break Russia as they still have India/China to use as financial partners etc. and the EU does not appear to be ready to reject Russian gas. 

The sanctions will take a while for full effect. Nonetheless, whenever dealing with a narcissistic/sociopathic/psychopathic leadership and/or society (or even individual), you still cut them off. Refuse to do business and otherwise attempt to isolate them. In essence, the ultimate punishment for these kinds of people is... irrelevancy. We've been down this road before. It worked the last time. It took a generation but they came apart eventually.

• Like 3