Electric Unicycle vs traditional Segway, what's your opinion?

Aaron Corsi

I recently spent a week with a two wheeled Ninebot Mini that rides much more like a traditional two wheeled Segway and it has made me rethink my opinion of two wheeled self balancing transporters vs the one wheeled design. I'm curious what the thoughts are of the other people on this forum are of the advantages/disadvantages of each for different uses and what your general opinions are. I wrote a post over on a Segway dedicated forum explaining the tradeoffs of an EUC to someone who has experience on a Segway but has never ridden an EUC and I tried to be pretty neutral but you might be able to read between the lines and figure out which one I think is superior.

So what do you think?

Depending on whether you want the challenge of learning a EUC or merely want transport from A  to  B!

Agree with Michael Vu and EUCs are able to weave between in crowded situations better hoverboards.   I believe EUCs give the feeling of freedom of movement much like a motorcycle gives over a car!

The Ninebot Mini and the Segway are too big to ride in crowds, their width and weight are intimidating for a pedestrian. I think they make it just easy enough to ride to give all self-balancing devices a bad name. I've been down to Washington DC several times and gone past the Segway tours, even had a few of them almost run into me because they aren't paying attention.

When you're on a Mini/Segway the most protruding part is the wheels and the handlebar. That's what is going to hit someone, or more likely run them over, if you misjudge the distance or the person moves into your path. On an EUC your body is sticking out more than the wheel. Your "envelope of safety" isn't bigger than your body which make it easier to navigate around people.

The Segway is more useful for cops and mall security type where you are required to stand a lot for the job. It's more relaxing on a daily basis where you don't have to constantly keep it moving to stay balanced. However they are very expensive but fool proof with redundant fail over safety etc. Because of it's weight you need special ramps to to move the Segway into the trunk of your car. Now that Ninebot owns them I don't trust their products anymore. EUC is much better to go from point A to B even in the pedestrian traffic, without bothering about storing and carrying. But they are not fool proof and can fail with just firmware updates like Ninebot. Money aside it's a personal preference depending on your individual requirement. My 2 cents.

Archived