airwheel x3 clone upgrades to make it usefull and safe

puntofato

On 29/06/2016 at 10:23 PM, puntofato said:

Greetings everyone,

I am sorry to say that for no reason the unicycle stopped at 20km/h or more. I had a major faceplant and had to call an ambulance to get to the hospital. I had a lot of damage on my face, broke 2 teeth and ruined several parts of skin all over my body. THIS WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!!! I did 20kms or more yesterday and nothing was wrong.

Sorry guys and dolls no more unicycle for me anymore. This is not a safe piece of machinery. I can also imagine the frustration of people who have bought really expensive ones and had faceplants and injuries. And before someone asks if I was wearing a helmet or safety gear, I would need a full face helmet like my motorcycle's to avoid the head injury....

Sounds like my accident. I almost lost my right leg on a generic X3 at a BMS shutdown for no reason. I was riding it the second time and after about half a mile it just went dead on me. The right pedal cut my right leg. I am still recovering.

Had my Osdrich in my hand today, charged it and really thought about a ride. But then my brain kicked in. With still screws and metal plates in my leg this seemed to be a bad idea, so I put it back in storage.

On 30.6.2016 at 1:16 AM, steve454 said:

@puntofato  And there is a guy in Israel who modified his wheel with a handlebar who says even if it cuts out he doesn't fall.  With your skills, who knows what you might create.

well....

I'm the guy from Israel

all my cut outs were over leaning uphill so speed was no more then 10kph , cut out at 20kph and up would probably send me flying to.

I'm really sorry to hear you were injured , I was so impressed by how effortlessly you made the upgrades that I was thinking about changing to MW for higher speed too.

But now... since the board seems to be so unreliable... I think I will stay with my slow reliable board .

Thanks for sharing, I wish for your fast recovery .

Feel well soon! 

Keep us posted on your new projects

It has been 3 days since my injury and I am recovering fast . I still need to fix my teeth, that will happen in the week.

To the point now,

Changes will be made for safety:

I will buy a proper suit for riding this. A full face helmet for skating and protection for elbows and knees. This can go up to 35 km/h so it is crazy riding without protection.

I will still need to find what has caused this and when I do I will definitely keep everyone posted. I can't imagine how the first PCB never had any problem apart from going slow even after 2 hours, and the new one failed so quickly.

The EU will be in my hands by tomorrow and I will open it and see what 's what.

I had an idea to ride it on a treadmill to test it.

Does anyone else who bought the same microworks controller ever had problems with it?

38 minutes ago, puntofato said:

I had an idea to ride it on a treadmill to test it.

That sounds like a good way to test it safely.  If a treadmill doesn't go fast enough, maybe two rollers just far enough apart to keep the tire from touching the ground, with hand rails to hold on to in case of cutout.

On 7/1/2016 at 5:28 PM, Geowurm said:

Osdrich

What model Osdrich do you have?  I have what I am ;pretty sure is a T5, 16 inch wheel with the smallest battery.  The seller claimed it was a T1, but the range was very short.  Even so it has okay power and never cutout but I only rode about 20 miles total on many short rides using the Endomodo app to track speed and distance.

Hi people,

I took it apart and there is no contact of the wheel with anything. I cannot see anything on the board either. There is just vibration when the motor spins which wasn't there when I first put the pcb in a week ago. When I spin the wheel by hand there is no vibration so it cannot be a ball bearing.

20160704_195810.mp4

Glad to see that you are recovering well and still have some interest in these EUCs.  I wonder if during the accident the wheel fell on it's side pressing in some of the metal supports you have screwed into the shell.  The wheel could be rubbing slightly on them?  Is that the battery side where you cut a large part of the shell casing out?   Where is the battery?  Does the wheel run on it's own power?  Did you find any loose contacts?

The battery was on the other side standing on a box nearby. I was testing it.

I tried pulling cables while the wheel was running and no fault appeared.

The noise developed the afternoon of the accident. Not after it.

I think I will tear it all apart to pieces again to explain the vibration.

On 6/30/2016 at 4:28 AM, puntofato said:

I must admit I have failed, people.

My purpose was to make it useful and safe. I only did half of what I wanted. When I first bought it, I got a minor faceplant and took immediate action to swap the batteries with serious ones. And I must tell you that it worked but it was slow and couldn't take you anywhere in time, so it was not useful but it was safe. Then I made it useful with the motor and the PCB from microworks which also improved the range, but what about safety?

I rode 20kms (2 rides of 10kms) the day before and it went like a dream. I really enjoyed it.

I always charge it after each ride so it is always ready to cover big distances.

Yesterday I went to work with it in the morning covering 4kms. In the afternoon I took it to return home. I must say that it sounded a bit differently than it did the day before or the morning. Sort of like a vibration coming from the motor. I thought something was rubbing on the tyre so I stopped to check and it was fine. 100m further while I was riding steadily in level ground, and for no apparent reason it turned off? stopped? I don't know. I was on the ground before I really understood what had happened. People rushed to help me, called an ambulance and there was blood all over the place. When I took it in my hands and reset it, it was functioning and battery was at 63.7Volts. It was the second PCB I got from them as the first never actually worked. I don't know if their quality checks are doing anything but I am not willing to investigate it further. Nor I will be selling anything to anyone. I don't want other people to get hurt like I did.

I am not sure what it hurts more. My injuries and the time I will spend to recover and fix myself or the pain of putting so much effort, time and money in something that failed miserably....

I am really sorry for happened to you :-( I must say me and my girlfriend, we are riding our EGG EUCs that we built ourselfs using the same MicroWorks 30B4 controller board and 500W 30km/h motor.

For what I understand, you weren't using the needed buzzer. The boards warns you using the buzzer and the board my shutoff for some reasons, like over speed, discharged battery, over charged battery (like while braking downhill), max current acceleration. Every time I listen the buzzer, I just immediately reduce the velocity.

As you may know, there are more users that bought this bard and motor and no one told about such problem. We know that boards can shutoff due to the reasons I explaining before or even the battery packs BMS.

About vibrations, yes I got a bit of them but only when I had the board a bit loose, while I were doing the first design iterations where the board were fixed only with adhesive tape: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki

I bought 5 30B4 boards, 3 for my hacking/testing and 2 others for our current EGG. I am also hacking the 30B4 board with success to add RGB LED stip, etc:

30B4 board MOD to add RGB LED strip: 

I am really sorry that you didn't use the buzzer. I understand this are the risks of DIY and lack of knowledge of such new devices EUCs. I really need to document my EGG build so others can understand the need for the buzzer!!!!!!!!!

Ok I saw your video. I just can say that doing that noise/vibrations, the motor may be not being well controlled and may be drawing to much current and the BMS of the battery pack or the board 30B4 my shutoff.
I tried to drive with 30B4 other motors that they run at up some speed but after that kind ask to much current and the BMS simple shutoff to protect itself which makes sense.

Update with a video

I took the thing apart. The vibration is coming from the motor itself. I don't know what is causing it. It could be the PCB or the motor. So I am sending the PCB on vacation IN PORTUGAL!!!! There it will meet with other motors and enjoy the sun! Electric vehicle lover will take care of it....

End for now.

20160705_212159 (2).mp4

On 04/07/2016 at 0:31 AM, steve454 said:

What model Osdrich do you have?

How I got my Osdrich:

As I saw someone on the street ride e EU I found a shop in Berlin to buy one. I got a Gotway 18 MSuper, found out in my basement that there is a lot of skill needed to ride it and that the learning phase will include major crashes of the EU. I was not willing to damage my brand new Gotway, went back to the shop and wanted an EU to learn to ride. They offered an Osdrich with "the big battery". It was an old model, torn apart and stored in a box, so I had to put it back together to use it to learn how to ride.

The learning phase was around 2 weeks, with 4 times "hit the road", but after that I was riding the Osdrich for about 3 - 4 months to commute. With my 110 kg it was able to bring me around 16 km without problems, so I guess the Osdrich really had the big battery build in. Never had any problems with it. No cutouts, no nothing. Pure fun!

I guess it was a T1, but I never had the chance to check the battery since.

Picture:

First steps w/o helmet, protectors and such things, I used all times after my first "feel the street with elbows an knees".

Copy of 100_1444.JPG

@Geowurm that looks just like mine same color green pads but if you got that much range you probably have the T1.  Mine would go very few kilometers at the park before the light on top turned blue then shortly after red.  But I liked riding it, never felt unsafe.  

The seller told me it had beeps for over speed but because I was still learning I never got over about 7-8 mph.  Does the Osdrich have tiltback?

Archived