How much would you pay to rent an EUC/PEV for one week?

GothamMike

Let's not go down the theft and accident insurance hole just yet. Pads and gear would have to be provided by you.

Please offer a Maximum weekly rate in USD:

Assume you would be given a standard EUC, Changer, and Cable lock. Tracking device (Tile/Airtag) would be hidden on the EUC. You will be tracked. Speeders will be fined.

A brief 5 minute proficiency test would be given to prove you could ride.

Tamper evident seals would be on it to prevent swapping out battery packs, rims, tires, or motherboards. Tires would be slimed or solid.

Valid Credit card and ID must be used, similar to Car rental.

Bonus Question: where would you travel to?

Yours Truly: I would pay USD 175 per week in a major city centre. Airport delivery and drop-off would not work IMHO.

Where? San Francisco, LA, Hawaii, New Orleans, Paris, London. Moscow, NYC (I live near here), Montreal, Yellowstone, Moab,  and Yosemite Parks, Sturgis SD, Miami, Boston.

You either would stay at a PEV-friendly Hotel or with friends, maybe go camping.

• Like 3

I too would consider $175/wk... probably not much more than that though. Pandemic pricing aside, it wasn't totally unusual to get a car for a bit more than that so it seems fair. In real life though, I'd be more inclined to rent on a daily rate, perhaps with a price break at 3 days... $40 or $50/day would make me consider a daily rental for that "special tour" but it's unlikely I'll be riding 'tons' on a daily basis.

Places: much tougher question because there's the "is it legal" question. So the locale would need solid bike infrastructure that connected points of interest. Unless it's an MTen class wheel, doing the tourist thing where everyone else is walking doesn't sound terribly appealing especially if my traveling companions aren't wheel riders. So I'd be wanting to go outside the population centers, to the country. I don't drink, but a wine country tour on a unicycle seems interesting! Or a couple three days exploring the bike trails in the mountains. Fall in the Blue or Appalacians might be really something on a wheel. "Hut to Hut" tour in New England. But hanging around downtown on a unicycle has little appeal to me.

• Like 3

If being policed by the euc owner and possibly fined... NONE! If being treated like a normal moped rental at a vacation spot.. $40 a day and maybe $150-$175 a week. It would be a rarity that I would assume a vacation would just happen to include time to enjoy an euc. For a week long rental, the euc would likely be a HUGE reason for the trip.

I rent mopeds typically. Last place I rented for a week in the Keys, afforded the gasoline. It was stupid cheap and very little attention paid to the fine details and regs... Simply marvelous. The car didnt get used... 1 moped, 2 people. Parking tickets ignored and aint heard a peep in over a decade.  :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

I tried to rent a wheel locally. They wanted $25 an hour for a V8. I asked about getting a deal for a weekend. ...... Saturday morning to Sunday night - $200. :shock2:  Nope!!  $50 a day or $175 a week sounds OK.... NOT for a V8 though.  I might pay half that for a V8. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I tried to rent a wheel locally. They wanted $25 an hour for a V8. I asked about getting a deal for a weekend. ...... Saturday morning to Sunday night - $200. :shock2:  Nope!!  $50 a day or $175 a week sounds OK.... NOT for a V8 though.  I might pay half that for a V8. 

At $100 a day, why not simply buy a member of the hotel staff an mten, and just tell them to let you use it when you're in town?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I rented one for $50 a day, 2 Saturdays in a row to determine if I was cut out to ride on of these things (now I've got a 2nd one coming!).
Used https://friendwitha.com/, found a gent in Golden with a 16X, got me hooked!  $50/day, + a fee to the friendwitha company to cover insurance/theft, so ~$60?

Found it a cheap way to get into the sport.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WillCO said:

I rented one for $50 a day, 2 Saturdays in a row to determine if I was cut out to ride on of these things (now I've got a 2nd one coming!).
Used https://friendwitha.com/, found a gent in Golden with a 16X, got me hooked!  $50/day, + a fee to the friendwitha company to cover insurance/theft, so ~$60?

Found it a cheap way to get into the sport.

Lots of one wheels!

12 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

At $100 a day, why not simply buy a member of the hotel staff an mten, and just tell them to let you use it when you're in town?

How long will they work at the hotel?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tawpie said:

a wine country tour on a unicycle seems interesting!

What could go wrong?

17 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I rent mopeds typically. Last place I rented for a week in the Keys, afforded the gasoline. It was stupid cheap and very little attention paid to the fine details and regs... Simply marvelous.

I always hire a moped when I go to the Greece. I have a special deal with the guy who rents them as I'll ride anything as long as it's cheap. I usually pay £7-£12 per day but the mopeds I get aren't usually that safe. If you're wanting to make money then I'd probably rent escooters rather than EUC's but if you did have EUCs then I'd be more interested in trying out higher end models for the day just to see if I like them. I'd happily pay $40/day - that's assuming my wife let me have the day off. You wouldn't want to set up anywhere hot as people wouldn't wear enough protection. New York with central park might be a good option - maybe $30 for half a day so people could tour the park and try out the wheels. Maybe even let them come back and exchange for a different wheel. Also keep in mind that when people fall off they'll end up blaming your EUC for cutting out rather than themselves for doing something stupid.

• Like 1

300 a week would work for me. My wife and I like to walk around on vacation more than go on guided tours, but we can only walk like 10 miles a day, which severely limits what we can see.

Man, Tokyo would have been a blast on an EUC and our misguided attempt to see the "Imperial Palace" wouldn't have wasted 4 hours. $300 would have been a steal.

Edited by Richardo

• 2 weeks later...

Any good walking city would be fun on an EUC. 

A wine valley? No. People in Napa rent Limos for the day. 

The rider/renter would have to promise:

• To safely ride and obey all speeds and rules
  • To not allow anyone else to ride
  • To not use the EUC for commercial purposes
  • To keep the EUC cool and dry
  • No riding off trail or on beaches.
  • No passengers
  • Pads/Helmets/Eye protection at all times
  • No drunk riding

I would also offer EUC watch rental for 15 dollars a day. (P8 watches are only 25-30 dollars) P8 charging cable for 2 bucks a day. Big fees for not returning them.

iOS/Android app to track use and unlock the EUC? It could also track your mileage and speed.

Nope, too much liability for unskilled people. Same reason one can't rent a motorcycle where I live. 

Now if us riders had a network where we could rent from one another locally I would be all in, but it will be a cold day in hell before I send some newbie off into traffic with my Sherman LOL. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

Nope, too much liability for unskilled people. Same reason one can't rent a motorcycle where I live. 

Now if us riders had a network where we could rent from one another locally I would be all in, but it will be a cold day in hell before I send some newbie off into traffic with my Sherman LOL. 

I would never let someone ride any of my EUCs, too risky.