Veteran sherman tyre scraping / grinding against chassis

GoldenOne

EDIT/UPDATE: The wheel itself is the issue not the mudguard. I get tyre scraping when more pressure is on the right side than left and the motor hub is physically closer to one side of the chassis than the other

So I got a sherman yesterday, mudguard arrived today and was annoyed to find that the clearance between the mudguard and tyre is maybe 1-2mm at most. 

Anyone else have this? 

Im a little concerned for safety cause the wheel is of course moving 'up' on the rear. So if it did scrape against the tyre during a turn it might well throw me flying forward

20211127_112254.jpg

Edited by GoldenOne

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Are you sure both the side clips are fully home?

As @Planemo suggests above, make sure the side clips are fully home! I have recently fitted a wider tire than the stock Kenda 262 knobby and still have more clearance than your photo shows.

2 hours ago, fbhb said:

As @Planemo suggests above, make sure the side clips are fully home! I have recently fitted a wider tire than the stock Kenda 262 knobby and still have more clearance than your photo shows.

Managed to get the guard sorted. Heat gun to bend it out a bit and now the mudguard sits properly in place. 

But, I'm getting wheel scraping with/without the mudguard whenever I put more pressure on the right side. Getting on, turning left sharply etc :(

42 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

But, I'm getting wheel scraping with/without the mudguard whenever I put more pressure on the right side. Getting on, turning left sharply etc :(

How straight is your Kenda knobby mounted on the rim? The Sherman is notorious for the knobby being way off centre, straight out of the box for some owners - it may need re-aligning.

I had a 6mm side to side drift when my Sherman first arrived, which took some work to finally get running reasonably straight!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

How straight is your Kenda knobby mounted on the rim? The Sherman is notorious for the knobby being way off centre, straight out of the box for some owners - it may need re-aligning.

I had a 6mm side to side drift when my Sherman first arrived, which took some work to finally get running reasonably straight!

The tyre itself is well aligned. No wobble etc. 

It looks like the entire wheel assembly itself is a few mm closer to one side than the other. So I'd somehow need to shift the motor hub itself in order to fix the issue. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

It looks like the entire wheel assembly itself is a few mm closer to one side than the other. So I'd somehow need to shift the motor hub itself in order to fix the issue.

Did you take both pedals, then side covers off and check the 6 socket cap screws bolting the shell to the pedal hangers on each side to see if they are All tight?

If they are not tight the shell might be moving/flexing during the times you describe the issue as per your quote below:

4 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Getting on, turning left sharply etc

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

Did you take both pedals, then side covers off and check the 6 socket cap screws bolting the shell to the pedal hangers on each side to see if they are All tight?

If they are not tight the shell might be moving/flexing during the times you describe the issue as per your quote below:

That will be my next step

Looking in, it seems that it is 100% a chassis and/or motor hub issue. Not the tyre. On the scraping side the actual rim is a fair bit closer to the chassis than the other. So the tyre positioning isn't the issue. 

Problem is, I don't think it's a case of loose screws as theres no give/flex when I push or pull the two sides apart. 

In the interest of not voiding warranty however, I'm going to email E-rides first and see what they suggest. 

I hope this can be fixed :/

• Like 1

• GoldenOne changed the title to Veteran sherman tyre scraping / grinding against chassis

Agh this may be even more complicated than I thought. 

Clearance at the front of the wheel is very even. Its just the back.... Meaning either the motor is mounted ever so slightly crooked (meaning the rear upper right grinds, but the opposite side, bottom front left, has no issue cause its outside the chassis anyway) or the chassis itself isnt entirely straight. 

This would be avoidable if the sherman had more than a paper-thin clearance :(

Ill wait for e-rides to get back to me, and then open it up. Hopefully this can be sorted with some screw adjustment. Or maybe a washer in the right spot. Will have to wait and see

• Like 1

To rule out the fender which you said initially was the problem, confirm you have alignment issues without the fender fitted at all?

Sometimes the shells can be mainipulated slightly, but this is in the up/down plane. I cant see how it could be out in the left/right plane (as you suggest) nor in fact how it could be adjusted as there really isnt a lot of movement in the shell to hanger bolts.

If no one pipes up with a pic I will get one of mine tomorrow eve.

Edit sorry just seen your vid with no fender...and yeah the gap is a bit off but wouldnt have thought it was enough to rub..and I think most wheels are slightly off tbh, it was very common on the MSX's too. But if its rubbing its rubbing. I will get a pic of mine tomorrow, as for sure it never rubs.

Edited by Planemo

• 2 weeks later...

This what happened with couple of friends sherman, we tear down the wheel found nothing was wrong or out of alignment then we put the wheel back and there..its all perfect but after 15mins of rides, we noticed the wheel back to missed out of alignment again, still no clue and running out of ideas to fix this..even Linnea got no answer with the issue..

its an 6-8months old wheel anyway and he still ride it since he doesnt feel anything wrong when he rode it but cant use the standard mudguard without scrapping tho.

Just as an update to this:

I contacted E-Rides and they asked me to return the wheel and they'd re-align it.
They did so and got it sent back out to me quickly in <48hrs, I'm not exactly sure what they did but they seemed to put some spacing on the mounting area on both sides around the hex screws and it looks like they did a pretty good job.

I got it back and the wheel was indeed perfect for a short while, however after a few km the issue had returned and it was back to scraping, similar to what @Beachboydescribed.

Had a phone call with @Afeez Kay who was extremely friendly and helpful and they've now said I can return the wheel for a refund.
I was really hoping to get it working as it was the last one in stock in the UK and it seems the S20 is going to be a few months out, but I'm glad that E-Rides support was as good as it was, and will certainly be buying from them in future.

I can see why so many people love the Sherman though, other than the wheel clearance issue it was a fantastic wheel. Now the wait for S20 begins....
I'm really not sure why Veteran didn't give just a couple mm more wheel clearance as that would have prevented this from happening. There's just so little room for any sort of misalignment, it seems they've got plenty of clearance on the abrams though which is good.

• 3 months later...

A freind of mine had this problem and fixd it himself.  After a crash it was making noises again. I now have this problem after getting a new (bloody expensive) rim. Sherman rides very well indeed but one legged riding and it sounds terrible. Ill try to follow some of the advice here - the plastic sidepads might influence the balance of the wheel. My freind got better screws (very good idea, the Chinese screws are rubbish) and managed to get better alignment ..... 

The distance between tire and plastic on left and right side should not be identical methinks..  

Conclusion Buy Sherman MAX not sherman veteran ... As always the chinses dont give a shit about QC

Edited by Finn Bjerke

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey @GoldenOne, sorry to bring you back into this, but did you ever figure out how to resolve this problem?  I fell at relatively low speed on my Sherman, and now it has the same exact issue. Just lightly and briefly leaning on the right side causes grinding that lasts throughout the rest of an evenly-pressured ride.