Mango

8 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I have 1,200 mi on mine and it isn't the least bit sticky or stiff. At what point does this happen?

I have 3100 miles now on my V11 and the suspension now has a little bit of stiction  and squeaks sometimes but nothing too major. I've never ridden my V11 in the rain if that matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

I've never ridden my V11 in the rain if that matters.

That should matter, especially if you ride in November in Vancouver, with all the foliage on the road too.

If you don't ride in the rain, aren't you riding mostly in the summer months?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Sherman - S = 30A, 34Ah = 68 minutes

V13 = 35.7A, 24Ah = 41 minutes

I have a spreadsheet (yes, nerd) of this calculation and others (like equiv HP, etc.) on e-bikes, eucs and scooters I've been interested in, and the longest (theoretical) runtime at 100% throttle of all the PEVs is actually the Sherman - S., which is very interesting. It even beat the Master Pro, at 64 minutes. (Counting only PEVs with motors above 1kW).

I realize that real-world range includes a ton of other factors, but this at least lets me get fairly close to a numbers-only comparison.

I think it is also helpful to consider the speed differences. The V13 with 5 kw nominal, could require 4.3 kw to sustain its 90 km/h top speed. Sherman-s with 3.5 kw nominal, could require 2.5 kw to sustain its 75 km/h top speed.

image.thumb.png.efb544dd626ec71aaa13cb82442eed0e.png

Edited by LowFlyingSquirrel

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

That should matter, especially if you ride in November in Vancouver, with all the foliage on the road too.

If you don't ride in the rain, aren't you riding mostly in the summer months?

I don't ride when its actively raining but I've ridden the wheel when the ground has been wet, though I typically don't. I will ride whenever its dry out summer or winter. I figure when the stiction gets bad enough I will just have Eevees tear it down to clean and lube all the things.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

I'm sure a clean and lube would help on the sliders

I was just looking at the parts list and the sliders are $35 each. If they get sticky i will just replace them. Also i will be tearing mine down soon for a tire change and will update everyone on the slider condition and the condition of other suspension parts. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, techyiam said:

I think smartwheel.ca unboxing video confirms the raising of the bar for build quality by the V13, especially if one looks at the smaller details.

Even something as simple as the pedal rod, it is more intricate than on your typical wheel. Notice the pedal rod is not just a simple round rod. 

On the V12, the pedal rod is a round rod with a flat side. That rod has a matching profile bore in the pedal hanger. Moreover, the bore in the pedals is coated with a very durable rubber coating. It is a tight fit between the pedal rod and the pedal bore. As a result, the pedal bore as well as a portion of the pedal rod is protected from corrosion. Plus, the pedals doesn't have play nor does it flop up and down. As well, it provides a little cushioning from vibrations.

The V13 version seems to be even more advanced. 

It could be a tough call between the V13 and the Sherman-S for speedy urban commuting. 

I don't see any of those changes as good. Well, a round rod with a flat side is quite common and a simple design - that's nice. The rubber coating - no matter how durable the spiel claims - sounds like future looseness. And not very far into the future. Simple designs are much easier to repair / replace and are generally stronger.

More complex doesn't necessarily mean better. I would rate toughness and reliability much more. For example, these wheels are much heavier; the heavier the wheel the more impact / shock resistance it needs. It isn't just greater mass, but greater mass at greater speed. It seems that this has been given some consideration with sherman s and it's magnesium alloy shell for example. 

The extra hall sensor that inmotion are using is a great feature implemented through experience. This is a simple change that should help prevent cut outs. The extra mosfets employed by both inmotion and sherman s also sound like a great change towards safety - another relatively simple change. High gauge wires, heat distributing mounting media, fans, waterproofing - get the basics right. These are changes which impress me more than complexity.

Edited by Uras

2 hours ago, LowFlyingSquirrel said:

The comparison isn't very useful unless you're considering the speed differences. The V13 with 5 kw nominal, could require 4.3 kw to sustain its 90 km/h top speed. Sherman-s with 3.5 kw nominal, could require 2.5 kw to sustain its 75 km/h top speed.

image.thumb.png.efb544dd626ec71aaa13cb82442eed0e.png

It's useful to me because so much about "range" depends on unavoidable variables like rider weight, temperature outside, stop/go, regen breaking, etc. etc. etc.

But what I can compare with some objectivity is: If I take the motor of THIS vehicle and run it at its full speed, how long will it go for?

That might imitate a heavy rider at mid speed, or a medium rider going up a 45 deg incline. Whatever the case, the motor giving everything it is theoretically capable of. how many minutes could it go? My bike is like 59 minutes, but of course the motor hardly spends any time at max, and the bike coasts downhill a lot. So i get many many miles and many hours. But it is proportionally accurate to my other PEVs.

What more objective measure of "range" aka "work capacity" is there? I would love to know of other ways to objectively compare.

It's the most objective way I can think of to get a rough comparison...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

It might help prevent cutouts that are caused by a failed hall sensor, but that's it!

well, yes. Just like extra mosfets reduce an amperage bottleneck, as do higher gauge wires etc, and mounting media that helps dissipate heat build up. Each is a small change on it's own, but even then can mean the difference of avoiding a failure. Fix all the little things...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

It might help prevent cutouts that are caused by a failed hall sensor, but that's it!

I'm gonna believe that InMotion put as much effort into over-engineering as it did into build-quality, fit/finish etc. Until proven otherwise.:efeeec645d:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I have 1,200 mi on mine and it isn't the least bit sticky or stiff. At what point does this happen?

Mine started knocking and getting sticky around 400 miles. I'd clean out the rails and sliders and it would be good for a week or two before slowly starting to get sticky again. It happens so slowly you don't notice it until you ride a properly working one. I've tried running dry, ptfe lube, graphite powder, all of them help for the first week or so and then it's like before.

My buddy just got a v11 and his already squeaks like hell and is a bit sticky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UPONIT said:

What more objective measure of "range" aka "work capacity" is there? I would love to know of other ways to objectively compare.

It's called Watt-hour (Wh) and it's literally a measurement of the energy content (dare I call that "work capacity") of the battery;)

-

I honestly have no idea what motor wattage numbers are supposed to mean and how the manufacturers come up with that number. They have used different numbers for the same motor, so maybe it's the theoretical throughput of the motor+board combination? But then shouldn't they be higher? Continuous throughput?

My issue is: a "better" motor (more watts, whatever they mean) would give a worse result because you can use it to empty the battery faster (can you?). So until the manufacturers tell us how they come up with the motor wattages, I'm not convinced that battery size/motor power is an overly meaningful number. But who knows, maybe it is? If it works, it works.

I'm staying with "More Wh = more range", and everything else (e.g. efficiency differences) is second tier to that.

Let's do the (pessimistic for the ShermaS) math:

Sherman-S: 192 cells * 3.6V * 4.9mAh per cell = 3386.9Wh

V13: 240 cells * 3.6V * 3500mAh per cell = 3024Wh.

That gives +12% to the Sherman-S, and so I'm expecting it to have 12% more range than the V13.

What does the motor power comparison predict here? (I don't know the motor wattages for either wheel.)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's called Watt-hour (Wh) and it's literally a measurement of the energy content (dare I call that "work capacity") of the battery;)

-

I honestly have no idea what motor wattage numbers are supposed to mean and how the manufacturers come up with that number. They have used different numbers for the same motor, so maybe it's the theoretical throughput of the motor+board combination? But then shouldn't they be higher? Continuous throughput?

My issue is: a "better" motor (more watts, whatever they mean) would give a worse result because you can use it to empty the battery faster (can you?). So I'm not convinced that battery size/motor power is an overly meaningful number. But who knows, maybe it is? If it works, it works.

I'm staying with "More Wh = more range", and everything else (e.g. efficiency differences) is second tier to that.

Let's do the (pessimistic for the ShermaS) math:

Sherman-S: 192 cells * 3.6V * 4.9mAh per cell = 3386.9Wh

V13: 240 cells * 3.6V * 3500mAh per cell = 3024Wh.

That gives +12% to the Sherman-S, and so I'm expecting it to have 12% more range than the V13.

What does the motor power comparison predict here? (I don't know the motor wattages for either wheel.)

According to my (apparently flawed :wub:) reasoning, the Sherman S could run full out (3000W) for 68 minutes. The V13 could run full wattage (4500) for 41 minutes. Speed and all the rest is a crap shoot, as is actual range because of the plethora of factors that affect it...

5 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Law Laxina is a big fan of the V11 suspension apparently. Maybe the issue is one of use/abuse/durability? It might not be meant for heavy gravel, dirt, sand, extreme dust usage or just extreme usage in general. Also, you never know how much or little people actually maintain their suspensions. Aluminum is VERY hard to restore to smooth after injury. (On aluminum hose fittings, and other threaded parts, a couple grains of sand can ruin the whole show...)

Maybe you have taken more care with use, maintained better than others?

45 minutes ago, UPONIT said:

According to my (apparently flawed :wub:) reasoning, the Sherman S could run full out (3000W) for 68 minutes. The V13 could run full wattage (4500) for 41 minutes. Speed and all the rest is a crap shoot, as is actual range because of the plethora of factors that affect it...

Sherman-s: 3,000W nominal, peak wattage is higher.  V13: 4,500W nominal, peak wattage is higher.

I'm unsure of how long either would run at max nominal wattage before overheating would be an issue, I doubt either is designed to run continuously at such a high power output.  The batteries would probably handle it even the V13 at 1.5C output, I'd be more concerned about the mainboard/speed controller/MOS-FETs/etc.

• Like 1