Mango

1 hour ago, SquallLHeart said:

After riding one last night I must say the hype behind it is warranted.

Where did you ride, and how would you rate the smoothness of the Sherman-S and the V13, excluding the suspension action?

Edited by techyiam

2 hours ago, SquallLHeart said:

Both are great wheels in their own different ways. Get what you think fits you best.. or get both of you have the money.. lol.

Great advice. Thanks for all the info in your posts above and work testing. 

I don’t think you can go wrong with either wheel, happy i’m on the V13. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 11:56 AM, Impoy47 said:

Screenshot_20230112-160717_Email.thumb.jpg.dcd55bac2573ef53ac0cca1565977fad.jpgCAD94166-9140-4C8A-9C7E-1C312FCB091A.thumb.jpeg.a735b200af42994eb9814db4550f8125.jpeg

Here is my flow set up. Fedex tracking landed today. 

Also chatting to Clark about the titan and love the v13 clark kit. 

I have affiliates for both in my video links if anyone is shopping and feels like supporting my thing. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rebeuc said:

Dawn's range test:

The thing that surprised me was the issue with the display she had near the beginning and the mention of faults and mystery tiltback even before she really got going; is this maybe related to the fault she was talking about during the livestream that resolved itself after letting the wheel rest for a bit and then charging? I'm definitely concerned about this. (My guess is maybe the packs had mismatching voltages?)

Probably nothing to worry about. I mean, that particular wheel has been, ahem, passed around like a __________, and probably "rode hard and put away wet." :roflmao:

19 hours ago, mlau said:

That's a stupid test.  Charge it full, ride until it doesn't want to power the motor any more, then you have a range.  everything else is just evaluation of the wheel's battery gauge algorithm.

Agree.

3 hours ago, Kingsong Russia said:

Wow, I've done. Enjoy.
Text/photo later.

Absolutely incredible, thank you for sharing this!

Two questions:

1. What was the mention of the right / wrong rubber piece in the suspension shortly after the 8 minute mark; was something installed wrong from the factory or was this just highlighting an easy mistake someone could make on re-assembly?

2. What was up with the rust in the motor near the end? As someone who has not disassembled wheels, is that concerning or is a small amount expected inside like that? Is this something to be concerned about?
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Eyss said:

Was this in a chat directly with him or was there a post about it? 

Has the v13 left the factory yet?

Direct chat mate. 

Apparently, it has.  According to Steve it was at the docks little over a week ago.  So he estimated about 3 weeks from then.  Realistically, I reckon we'll see our first V13 stock in Aus. in mid-Feb.  (If it comes earlier then it'll be a nice unexpected surprise!) 

9 hours ago, techyiam said:

Where did you ride, and how would you rate the smoothness of the Sherman-S and the V13, excluding the suspension action?

Excluding the suspension action, and it leaves you with basically comparing a standard 20" wheel to a 22" wheel.. the larger diameter wheel usually offers you more stability at higher speeds and is not as nimble.

With the suspension though, the Sherman-S leaps ahead with regards to how cloud-like it feels. The smaller size makes it more easier to throw around.

I rode both mine and my friend's Sherman-S around a parking lot and shopping center.. hopping down curbs and down some steps to gauge the suspension performance. Going back and forth between the two to compare. The Sherman-S pedals are probably the worst thing I don't like about the wheel and at the least there are aftermarket options to replace them. The Sherman-S stock pads are trash and something I'm sure was expected to be replaced with something better anyway.

The trolley/seat on the Sherman-S is more flimsy than I care for. For seated riding, I give the V13 the upper hand because of the larger size.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kingsong Russia said:

https://youtu.be/k2sZhXxL1RU

Wow, I've done. Enjoy.
Text/photo later.

InMotion did a nice controller and it looks like it would have good cooling. 

The suspension system is made not only from an air suspension and a dampener on each side- in total 4 pieces, but also from 2 sliding pieces on each side- 4 in total: that gives us a suspension system with 8 pieces in total! Imagine that getting dirty, and it will, and then having to clean it!

Because it is such a closed system it has more chances of getting dirt inside and getting stuck in there more than any other system used by others. And KS S20/22 is relatively easy to disassemble, a lot fewer screws, compared to this, plus now having the roller sliders it is even better.

InMotion uses grease between the two sliding pieces, and there is no space to add rollers in there, therefore no upgrade like S20/22 seems possible.

My impression is they made the sliders because they wanted to provide a structure that will absorb the lateral forces to the suspension tubes and for the rotational forces that will appear on the fork during use. In the Go Geoge Go! disassembling of the Sherman S one of the tubes seems to have been bent and needed replacement because of these forces. I think the best solution is to make the suspension tubes more resistant and resilient to these forces than to opt in for sliders. It is like you have one pair of sliders, the tubes themselves, then you add to that an extra pair of sliders to make up for the weakness of the first. Why not make the first one to resist all forces and get rid of the second pair? From an engineering point of view I would always choose the simplest solution. 

Edited by Paul g

32 minutes ago, Paul g said:

InMotion uses grease between the two sliding pieces

I can tell you the v11 doesn't use grease, dirt would stick to it. It just uses  nylon"like" bushings with a slight bit of play. The v13 looks to be the same during the tear down but with 6 slide bushings instead of 4.

• Upvote 1

Very impressive! No wonder it costs a fortune though, the assembly labor content is "high". The sheer number of parts means you get to be very retentive during assembly.

I wonder how much they'll ask for a replacement battery pack?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

The sheer number of parts means you get to be very retentive during assembly.

I guess it relative.

To my eyes, it looked fine. It was designed to be serviced too.

I am not seeing the complexity.

Every subsystem is straightforward to access and serviced.

Check out what ones has to do to change a tire on an Abrams or on a Sherman Max. Those axle bolts are akined to being welded on.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rebeuc said:

was something installed wrong from the factory

this way

6 hours ago, rebeuc said:

Is this something to be concerned about?

No worries. It's ok. It's only shows some sort of quality of supplier assembled motor. Rust layer is very thin and rare. I think it was a result of warehouse storage before.

Edited by Kingsong Russia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

@conecones and @Punxatawneyjoe I hope I am wrong  about it and it will work just fine. We need to wait for some long term reviews, but what I like is the fact EUCs start to look like some mature vehicles with the use of suspensions and metal bodies to protect the battery packs. They just need some refining and, maybe, some safer and more dense batteries. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kingsong Russia said:

Wow, I've done. Enjoy.
Text/photo later.

I wish I could 'love' a video on youtube. Great work, thank you.

A few things caught my eye from this teardown:

1. I didn't manage to catch how the inverter's power electronics will be cooled. I am assuming that the power FETs are thermally connected to the "thermal conductive board" by a thermal pad due to how clean they are when shown, even though no thermal pad was shown. Then the thermal conductive board has thermal paste between it and some other component (shown on the right at 9:19 in the teardown) but this other component does not seem to have any fans, fins, nor adjacency to the moving wheel for induced airflow (as seen on the rear of the same component shown at 5:28). What's the story there?
  2. At 5:47, we see a sticker on the inverter showing a rated voltage of 108VDC. That seems strange, given my understanding that the two cell stacks on this wheel are nominally 126VDC.
  3. At 10:00, we can see a clear shot of the top of the inverter board. I am curious why two of the inverter phase terminals have bushings, but one does not.
  4. I love the molded writing with the engineers' names shown at 10:09 :D I wish we could see the rest of the message. Probably something like, "The people who are crazy enough to test this thing"
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Kamikaze_K said:

inMotion has released their official kickstand and it's on the way to retailers now.  Should attach onto the back part of the chassis and should sit just below the mudguard.

Yeah, I've posted the picture of this "kick" stand few pages back in this thread (about a week after it popped out on Aliexpress) but so far I've not seen a single image of it being installed on actual V13 nor I have seen the exact spot with mounting holes for it (in detail or actually at all). And I do agree that it should have been included with V13 in the box, not as an "optional" accessory. Finally, the small holes on the side which will become in contact with ground / floor looks like prime spots for inserting some small rubber "rivets" to prevent slippage / increase traction as well as to prevent scratches on both the stand as well as the floor. Perhaps they're included (hopefully together with necessary mounting hardware to attach the stand to the wheel)? I'm still debating weather to invest $60+ in such simple piece of metal (hopefully rather than plastic) or 3 times of that for the full stand (see below) as I mainly park the wheel at home (although also at work) and almost everywhere else I either trolley it around or for brief brakes just lean it against the wall upright.

U39d6014b9c1043fc9b95c8f9e73bcaae4.jpg

Edited by HEC

1 hour ago, soulson said:
  1. At 5:47, we see a sticker on the inverter showing a rated voltage of 108VDC. That seems strange, given my understanding that the two cell stacks on this wheel are nominally 126VDC.

v13volt.jpg

• Like 1