Learning to ride on a V11

Hellkitten

@Paul A I had bugs for dinner. 🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟🦟

• Haha 2

Went on another group ride last Friday. It was a sunset cruise same route as before. Within two blocks of leaving the meetup spot a scooter rider went down and hurt his knee. He ended up continuing part of the ride and then had a friend come meet him for a ride as he was starting to feel it. Then halfway through the rest of the ride one of the euc riders was turning around a cab and ran into an obstructed lane divider. He ended up breaking his arm at the shoulder, I saw the X-ray. So much for a chill cruise! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

If purchasing protective gear that claims CE rating, need to check that it is meeting the current/updated ratings, and not obsolete/outdated rating.

CE level 2 is the better/higher rating.  It is the level required for motorcycles.

When EBay, Amazon sellers claim CE rating, it might be an outdated rating.  The pad might be the very thin plastic ones.

Need to pull the pads out and inspect them.

Accidents happen. My little brother fell on his mten going 1 mph, and had to get surgery on his hand. I got bit by an f350, nothing broken but my wheel. Both of us were padded up. Sometimes it's pure luck, but pads never hurt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hellkitten said:

Then halfway through the rest of the ride one of the euc riders was turning around a cab and ran into an obstructed lane divider. He ended up breaking his arm at the shoulder, I saw the X-ray. So much for a chill cruise! 

13 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

@Paul A he was fully geared up.

Duf talked a bit about this a while ago, mentioning that gear does not usually protect us from over-torquing parts of our bodies which breaks bones, etc.

14 minutes ago, kiitick said:

My little brother fell on his mten going 1 mph, and had to get surgery on his hand.

Slow speed falls seem like they would be harmless in our minds because we feel like we will just step off and all is well. Most of the time it is true, but there can be those times when our balance can be undone and we meet the ground in an awkward way.

Funny how the same subject can pop up in other places, Mike is talking about this with a riding buddy here for a couple minutes. The video is set to start there.

• Like 1

Got two thumbs up from an analog unicycle rider today and had my pic taken by a random photographer while cruising by. Good ride. 🤘🏽🤘🏽

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a beautiful ride. I left in late evening and rode along the bike paths that trace the edges of Lake Ontario. I followed those to an nature sanctuary that has a main concrete road with many trails that spiderweb off of that. I did a quite a few narrow paths, where the grass was so close it brushed my pedals on both sides. The uneven and narrow trails made for good technical practice.  There are boats, Swan, rabbits, mice, snails, and birds to look at along the way. I tootled around there till it started getting dark and headed back towards town. I skirted the city and took a bike path along a busy road and turned off into the old brickworks to watch the sun finish setting. From there I went into a valley and along some paths close to a stream, until I popped out in the upper section of the city. So I finished off a nice semi chill ride with a bomb through a main urban area. Two blocks from home I got stuck at an intersection and a couple of guys quizzed me about my wheel and one of the guys wanted to try it. Lol. Nope. 

I desperately need to work on one legged riding............😑

Im also trying out the new firmware. Still messing around, not sure where I’ll end up. For anyone interested my settings are. 

Ride mode: off road

pedal sensitivity: 100%

split mode: acceleration 75%

Braking 65% 

Edited by Hellkitten
Adding wheel settings
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Scottie said:

Looks like the v11 is treating you well. You may have one of the higher mileage V11's!

Tire tread? Wheel bearings?

Naw, one of the guys I ride with has over 11,000klm on his! Apparently there’s a food delivery guy in town that has some crazy amount on his. I’ll try and find out his distance.

The wheel has treated me fairly well, tire tread is wearing down, but not time for a replacement yet. I rode through the winter and rainy spring and have had zero bearing problems. My rear light stopped working months ago. I added a blinking bike light on the back. I think it’s just a loose connection as it randomly comes on from time to time. I’ve just been to lazy to open it and check what’s going on. I ride a mix of urban city and traffic with  bike paths and chill routes. I’ve really been putting this wheel through it’s paces. I regularly jump off curbs, hit crappy potholes and manholes. So far so good! 🤘🏽🤘🏽

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add an update. I passed 5,000 miles the other day! Wasn’t that long ago I was teetering and falling all over the place in a schoolyard. Lol. 

I ride almost every day, some solo rides some with fellow riders. I’ve plugged into the local PEV community and take part in a ton of events. I’ve learned a lot from other riders and I’m much better because of it. 🙏 Still riding a mix of bike paths and urban street routes. Although I have been doing more street riding lately and am far more confident around traffic. 

@Jack ex-KS is in town and has hosted a few rides which I went on. A lot of OG riders have come out to see him and gave me the chance to meet some of them. We had a great sunset cruise on Friday and a massive ride on Sunday. There was approximately over 200 riders on different PEVs various ages and skill levels. It’s been a nice way to wrap up the summer season. I will miss the warm days and seeing other riders regularly. I’m very glad to have picked up this activity, it’s opened up my world in many ways. 

6F1263C5-AE92-4F7D-BC26-20247C7F4A80.png

Edited by Hellkitten
Pic
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I’ve had the chance to ride a few other wheels now. Yesterday I bombed around on a V12ht for a bit and tried out a V10. I’ve been helping out doing some teaching new riders and there are a bunch of different wheels there to use.

I’m taking a carving class on Wednesday with Hayden Wu a guy sponsored by alien rides. He’s super nice and has a very distinctive carving/riding style. Really looking forward to that. 

I flew around on my buddies master today. It’s amazing how different they all are from each other. Really liked the V12 and master. The V10 would be ok for short shop trips, but felt like a toy, could really feel the motor working hard and I wasn’t being aggressive.

I’ve got an og Sherman coming my way soonish. I’ve yet to try one, but I’m excited to get it and learn. Getting close to 6,000 miles on the v11. The addiction is real........

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

I’ve got an og Sherman coming my way soonish. I’ve yet to try one, but I’m excited to get it and learn.

I have a feeling you will ride more on the bigger streets once you get comfortable with your Sherman. It is a different kind of fun and risks, and save so much on travel time.

1 hour ago, Hellkitten said:

I’ve got an og Sherman coming my way soonish. I’ve yet to try one, but I’m excited to get it and learn

I had one for a few weeks and can definitely appreciate its draw. It's incredibly stable. Almost weirdly so. I'm not a speed person but if I was, the Sherman stability and plantedness is a very real thing and absolutely makes it feel like an uber capable street machine. I'm guessing you'll like it a ton.

40 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I had one for a few weeks and can definitely appreciate its draw. It's incredibly stable. Almost weirdly so. I'm not a speed person but if I was, the Sherman stability and plantedness is a very real thing and absolutely makes it feel like an uber capable street machine. I'm guessing you'll like it a ton.

Why only a few weeks? Wasn’t for ya? 

10 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

I already do a ton of street riding on the v11. I need more speed and battery. Lol. 

I am on a V12, and I need more speed, I can't imagine how it is for you on a V11.

So true about battery. Probably about 3 kWh would be minimum.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

Why only a few weeks? Wasn’t for ya? 

Sadly no... I just don't like playing in traffic and Sherm is way too much for bike paths on a regular basis. I thought maybe if I had a street wheel I wouldn't mind the cars as much but it didn't turn out that way.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Sadly no... I just don't like playing in traffic and Sherm is way too much for bike paths on a regular basis. I thought maybe if I had a street wheel I wouldn't mind the cars as much but it didn't turn out that way.

I haven't even tried riding with cars and i can already say it's not for me also. The idea getting hit from behind by some moron on phone or simply drunk... No thanks.

And why would i need to ride with cars - where i live, we got walking pats everywhere. (We don't have bike paths here, small city..) And for that 25-30 mph wheel is plenty. :thumbup:

35 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Have you had motorcycle experience before?

Just now, techyiam said:

Have you had motorcycle experience before?

I have not, at least not as the driver. It's a little odd but my need for speed has always had limits.

Perhaps my respect for tangling with an automobile comes from nearly getting killed in a t-bone accident when I was 9. Looked out the window and there was a car hood inches from my door—then all hell broke loose and nearly a month in the hospital... no broken bones, but likely PTSD (before there was a name for it).

• Like 1

I’ve been riding bikes for years in and out of traffic. The skills and traffic flow mapping translates well. I live in the biggest city in Canada and traffic can’t really be avoided. 

• Like 1