Inmotion V12 Locked wheel after Idling

RevolvingRider

Hello experts and others.

I ordered my Inmotion V12 and got it 3 weeks ago.

After having mounted new power pads I started driving and stopped at a light and idled back and forth just 1 time pretty slowly and suddenly the wheel "shut off" and I fell on my ass and the wheel is now unable to "turn on" but when connected to the charger, the wheel "lights up in the display" and I can connect and even run a "diagnosis" and it says that "everything okay"🤪🤪

And after having plugged "it in" I can press the "power button" and then everything"lights up" like the wheel wants to "turn on" but then everything suddenly shuts down like there's some kind of "short" in the system.

Hope someone can help me.🙏

Kindly

Mikael Hansen

Denmark

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, RevolvingRider said:

The wheel, does not rotate like before, when shut off.

I can feel the wheel starting to lock even though I only rolled it to and from my living room.

It sounds like there's a short in the power delivery to the motor then. Likely burned MOSFETs on the board.

It's concerning regarding the V12 board reliability :(, but I'm glad it didn't happen to you at speed at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

It's concerning regarding the V12 board reliability :(, but I'm glad it didn't happen to you at speed at least.

Idling - low speed direction changes can be the highest burdens.

High speed riding is much more relaxing for EUCs! ;)

6 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Idling - low speed direction changes can be the highest burdens.

High speed riding is much more relaxing for EUCs! ;)

Yes I remember your description near zero speed: low voltage & potentially very high currents due to very low motor resistance and almost no back EMF.

But weren't controllers supposed to be past this?

@RevolvingRider, it means that the cause could be either a hardware fault on the board from factory, or an error in the motor control algorithm in @Inmotion Global's V12 firmware. Either way, the manufacturer needs to learn about it in order to correct the issue affecting your early model.

32 minutes ago, supercurio said:

But weren't controllers supposed to be past this?

Should be and is mostly.

From some videos one see people doing crazy burdening stuff with their wheels.

But i am quite sure that every wheel can be destroyed by such low speed direction changes. Or "pushing" against a wall. Depends just on the details on how its performed, etc...

36 minutes ago, supercurio said:

hardware fault

As just one of many possibilities not properly attached heatsinks can make wheels very sensitive. ... reminding back on the nikola glue/plastics desaster...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am remembering a picture of the V12's pre-release control board, and the connection of the MOSFETs to their heatsink looked like a manufacturing nightmare to my eye. If it were me, I do all the idling/pendulum/high heat stuff I could NOW, before the warranty runs out.

On 12/14/2021 at 11:17 PM, Teeo said:

Hello @RevolvingRider,

The same thing happened to me today, I've had my V12 for 2 weeks :crying:

Did you end up getting the motherboard swapped? 

23 minutes ago, Clark Wong said:

Hello , This is Clark from Officail  Inmotion Group , please communicate with me on the email (clark@imscv.com), I will help you to solve the problem . 

Good day 

Welcome!

Here just a quote of both posts so @Teeo gets notified...

On 12/23/2021 at 12:04 AM, Petranodon said:

Hi @Clark Wong glad that you're here. 

If replacing the driver board will make it work again, the same problem could probably happen again if it's not the problem with the driver board. Have your engineering team found the exact root cause of the problem? is it related to firmware 1.5.0 / 1.5.4? 

Hello, All the drive boards before we send require at least 7 times test , after replaced , it doesn't happen in number probability. we are still analyze the  cause of the problem , because we don't have the broken drive board . The firmware is related to the mainboard ( the small one ) 

• Like 3

Thanks @Clark Wong, this detailed update is appreciated!

I hope you'll soon get the board and their data which will reveal the root cause of this issue that puts rider safety in jeopardy.

Looking forward to more updates.
Context: I am debating if I should cancel my order or not.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I was just walking into work with my v12 the handle in the upright position at approximately 1 mph. My right foot pedal (also in the upright position) snagged the metal frame of my door which is not connected to electricity it’s just a normal door.  The machine shut down and  it has not turned back on. I had approximately 90% battery when I came in.  It showed no signs of being in jeopardy or having any prior issue it’s been running perfect.  Last time I checked and ran a diagnostic  all systems were good.  I’ve had the machine for about 6 weeks now after waiting 8 months.  I love it as much as my own life.  I don’t want to go back to my V8.  Please any info will be greatly appreciated

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Shannon McDonald said:

Hi I was just walking into work with my v12 the handle in the upright position at approximately 1 mph. My right foot pedal (also in the upright position) snagged the metal frame of my door which is not connected to electricity it’s just a normal door.  The machine shut down and  it has not turned back on. I had approximately 90% battery when I came in.  It showed no signs of being in jeopardy or having any prior issue it’s been running perfect.  Last time I checked and ran a diagnostic  all systems were good.  I’ve had the machine for about 6 weeks now after waiting 8 months.  I love it as much as my own life.  I don’t want to go back to my V8.  Please any info will be greatly appreciated

If you put the wheel on the side and spin it with your hand, does it have a lot of resistance that happens in sort of bunches? or can you fling it and it continues spinning for a second or so?

If it has a bunch of resistance, then your wheel is probably a victim of the MOSFET cutout issue we've all been fretting about.

• Upvote 1

No way… I put it on its side and it has resistance it feels like it’s got a rubber band wrapped around it this is brutal.  I got my battery charger and connected it and then connected it through Bluetooth it kept saying be prepared or please prepare and now I’m getting a red fault notification stating my driver board may need to be replaced in a contact my point of sale

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Shannon McDonald said:

this is brutal

I feel for you, your reseller should be able to help, but given the situation it may be a while before suitable replacement parts are available.

Maybe this is a good time to learn some @pico style tricks on the V8F?

Hang in there, by all appearances IM will make this right. If you need to get your dander up (and thank your lucky stars that you weren’t riding the thing when it died) there are a couple of V12 cutout mega threads. Small consolidation, but you’re not alone.

• Like 3

Yeah looks like I’ll need to emaiL Service@imsecv.com and await further instructions.  I hope I don’t need to box it up and ship it to them and wait for it to be shipped back.  But I’m not an engineer so to not void the warranty I probably will.  Maybe it won’t take to long. And yes I am lucky I wasn’t riding when it happened however I do feel a bit let down that this was/is a known problem and InMotion is willing to sell the machines anyway.  What we do on these machines is risky enough. Possible machine failure while riding can prove deadly.  I still love my machine and the company I hope it can be corrected for all soon.

Thanks for the info provided it helped. If anyone has dealt with & had this problem resolved I would appreciate any information you can recall such as if you needed to ship it, the timeframe it took to get it back if there any further cost to basically was it easy to deal with or a nightmare.  Thanks in advance.

Shannon

@Shannon McDonald if it's of any consolation, there's no doubt it is best that your V12 board died this way, without you on it instead of leading to a potentially harmful crash.
A board breaking in the condition you described shows it was defective, which means this crash was bound to happen. Good save then!

Question: were you aware of the V12 cutout issue and did you run the stress test recommended by Inmotion on your V12?

Edited by supercurio
  • Upvote 1

No I was completely unaware of the issue. I have not performed a stress test I never saw anything on the app about it. But then again I didn’t go looking either.  I’ve put over 600 miles on it so far my average speed is about 30. I haven’t taken it off road it’s all bee street commuting fastest speed I achieved was 51 (down hill) 43 on flat street.  It’s never been wet I’ve only dropped it twice both were low speed low impact.  I was able to access it with Bluetooth through the app but now when I plug it in it’s does nothing whatsoever. When I plug the charger in the wall the green light on the converter illuminates.  Then when I plug it into the v12 the converter light turns red and the machine does nothing 

Edited by Shannon McDonald
Spelling
  • Upvote 1