V11 repair (MosFETs, fuse)

reach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 8:03 PM, reach said:

Since I didn't have SMD fuses at home, I took a 10 plus a 30A car fuse and connected them via a cable (since there wasn't enough room for this on the original spot)

You can get 30 A SMD fuses at Farnell:

https://at.farnell.com/bel-fuse/0685h9300-01/fuse-smd-30a-fast-acting-1206/dp/2848603

I am not MOSFET expert, but something I would consider in my lag of better knowledge is if you have burned MOSFETs then how many didn't fail but got strained to maybe be a weaker link on the board. 

It seems it is always the weaker link that takes the heavy strain and fails next time. 

I know from waiting on a new drive board myself, for several weeks as one of the 2 spare I needed was faulty, sucks. But it should arrive at my door this Wednesday. Unless I now jinxed it. 🤥

In general MOSFETs are in short supply right now. It is hitting many type of products.

3 hours ago, Chriull said:

Maybe not the fast acting one ;) There are medium and slow fuses, too.

Fast acting are required for MOSFET protection. Still, they are not that fast :)

5 hours ago, Seba said:

Fast acting are required for MOSFET protection. Still, they are not that fast :)

Yep. They'll never save the mosfets, but the wires (and surroundings).

That's what's fuses are for normally...

Ps: but of course best to stay with the fuses used originally! They should (hopefully) be designed to perform - speculations and feelings have no real impact...

Edited by Chriull

• 7 months later...

Hi. I promised an update...:

I couldn't get it to work, but the new mainboard arrived eventually and this worked without any issues.

(Well, not really: with the new mainboard the V11 is totally toast in first place. The dealer told me that, although it does absolutely nothing, it still listens to Bluetooth. And that's correct. The Inmotion app sees the wheel, connects and guides you through the steps to activate, update and calibrate the new board and after this, voila, it works.)

Meanwhile, several months later, it broke again. Exactly the same problem:

While waiting for another spare board, I have got myself a KingSong S18 from eunicycles.eu 
Hope with 3 wheels in the house there should always be at least one in working condition :-) 

I really hope that affects only a very few V11s... Inmotion used the have a very good reputation as a quality manufacturer. That has taken quite a couple of hits lately, last but not least with the V12HS disaster.