Electric unicycle and bicycle dynamics - gyro effects on steering

rcgldr

2 hours ago, rcgldr said:

Gyroscopic reactions - precession is how a spinning wheel responds to a torque (not lean angle), so it is only present when lean angle is changing, not during a steady lean. Angular momentum of a spinning wheel causes it to resist any change in steering angle, but this resistance is not a significant issue for electric unicycles.

Good post, but I slightly disagree, precession is definitely present and working on our 'little' wheels. It's why you don't 'steer' an EUC left and right at speed at all, you apply pressure downwards onto one pedal to initiate the steer, then remove pressure once you are on the correct trajectory (if the wheel rides neutral). The precession (acting at 90 degrees) does the steering for you.

What I find really amazing though is how a human can ride an EUC at varying speeds because obviously precession doesn't happen at very low speeds and depending on the wheel (Z10 for example) theres all sorts of other forces to overcome and deal with in addition to the usual, again needing different methods at different speeds.

It's a miracle that any of us can ride euc's tbh, and we don't even think about it when we're doing so! :)

• Like 3

...the next time someone ask me how the EUC rides, I gots me the answer...... "you do yaw steerin' and wheelin"....

3 hours ago, rcgldr said:

The center of the tire has a larger radius than the side of the tire

..mmmm.....have you seen the mten3 tire?

@rcgldr So how many ways can we steer an EUC? I can turn without leaning the tire,  I can lean the tire without turning. I can do either at any speed. ( 3?  Yaw, tire curve, weight distribution without lean.) FYI I can lean the tire to the left and turn right. The weight overcomes the tire curve friction. 

As a beginner, I remember scraping my pedals when I turned large circles. Now not using yaw, I can turn very small circles without any worry of pedals scape. You just have to hang to the inside. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Dorsiflexion!

nope, that's how you make it go. but it's a kewl word.

I had to look that up. Ha! 

🎶 cue the music!!!  ( Kung fu fighting)
Everybody was...  dorsiflexion!! 

Those EUC’s were fast as. .. LIGHTNING!! 

• Like 1

At least for me, when at speed (>20 mph on a 16" wheel), it's usually not enough to simply unweight one leg and turn, I have to use my knee to haul the thing into a tilt. This is the gyroscopic effect as I understand the gyroscopic effect... the angular momentum of the spinning wheel is creating torque at the axle that is trying to keep the wheel vertical. There is a video (of course) of a guy suspending a wheel by one end of its axle.

On my MTen, the wheel diameter (radius) is so small that the generated torque is also small and it tips side to side like a drunken sailor on meth. Turning on it is entirely different than on my 16" wheel, and seems entirely governed by weight distribution between the left and right pedals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

On my MTen, the wheel diameter (radius) is so small that the generated torque is also small and it tips side to side like a drunken sailor on meth. Turning on it is entirely different than on my 16" wheel, and seems entirely governed by weight distribution between the left and right pedals.

Absolutely. Yaw and weight distribution. No need to lean. Last time I did all three on a MTen3 I rear ended myself. 

• Like 1

Does this also explain how a larger EUC reacts to a berm on the road? I first learned how to ride on a KS14 and it seems I never felt the berms. Once I went to a V11 with a larger wheel, it was hard to maintain a vertical stance on a berm until I got used to it. I still have to focus when going down the road and switch from one side the other because of how I have to change my stance to account for the EUC trying to lean one way or another.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dgar said:

Does this also explain how a larger EUC reacts to a berm on the road? I first learned how to ride on a KS14 and it seems I never felt the berms. Once I went to a V11 with a larger wheel, it was hard to maintain a vertical stance on a berm until I got used to it. I still have to focus when going down the road and switch from one side the other because of how I have to change my stance to account for the EUC trying to lean one way or another.

Yes good example!!! 

I am sure that this is the curvature of the tire trying to turn you. You are riding on the side of the tire without leaning. Yet you somehow resist. As your skills improve you don’t even notice that or the wind or many other things. 

While I do remember what you are describing. I don’t feel it anymore. I would never even notice it. You simply distribute your weight without thinking. 

Edited by RockyTop

Gyroscopic precession: "Precession is the change of angular velocity and angular momentum produced by a torque." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession#Classical_(Newtonian)

The point here is that precession is a reaction to a torque, not an angle. If the angle is not changing, there is no net torque and there is no precession. When there is a torque on an uniform wheel, the precession reaction is 90 degrees "behind" the torque. This is why the cyclic (pitch and roll) control on helicopters is effectively advanced by 90 degrees, so that a pitching torque from the rotor blades results in a roll reaction, and a rolling torque from the rotor blades results in a pitch reaction.

For electric unicycles, you have two primary axes for precession reaction to a torque, yaw - vertical axis, roll - forwards | backwards axis. A left yaw results in a right lean, and vice versa, but yaw steering is normally done at low speed only, so any precession effect is minimal. A left roll results in a left yaw (steer), right roll results in right steer, but as speed increases, the rate of change in precession angle decreases. Again these reactions only exist during transitions. One a yaw or lean angle is established and not changing, there is no torque. Technically as an EUC turns, there is rotation about the yaw axis, but this rate is slow except for small radius turns.

Gyroscopic effect is a more general term referring to the tendency of a wheel to maintain it's angular momentum. In addition to precession, it also explains why counter-steering effort to lean a motorcycle increases with speed, since the front tire is resisting any change in steering angle.

Edited by rcgldr
correction ... resisting change in steering angle
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

The point here is that precession is a reaction to a torque, not an angle. If the angle is not changing, there is no net torque and there is no precession.

If the wheel is leaning then there is a non-zero net torque produced by gravity and ground reaction, since these two vertical forces are now applied at points which are offset horizontally. This torque leads to a change in angular momentum direction (precession), which results in turning.

Ok, but the force is not always there. ( low speeds) The force is NOT necessary to turn. The force can be countered. The force  can help or hinder steering. I can see how it works. It is simply not all powerful. It is not the only factor in turning. I can follow all your rules to turn left and turn right. 

Camber effects: whole new can of worms. Scientists are still to this day arguing about how a bicycle works. It is may things not one. A bicycle does not need “the force “ and it does not need camber. But they are nice to have. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yoos said:

If the wheel is leaning then there is a non-zero net torque produced by gravity and ground reaction, since these two vertical forces are now applied at points which are offset horizontally. This torque leads to a change in angular momentum direction (precession), which results in turning.

If the turn is coordinated, the inwards torque from gravity and ground reaction is countered by the outwards torque due to centripetal force from the ground and the outwards (centrifugal) reaction force at the center of mass for a net zero torque about the roll axis. If the turn is not coordinated, then the lean angle would be changing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Camber effects: whole new can of worms. Scientists are still to this day arguing about how a bicycle works. It is may things not one. A bicycle does not need “the force “ and it does not need camber. But they are nice to have. 

There is virtually no camber effect on a bicycle or motorcycle. If you have two cones connected to a frame with one cone in front of the other, and with their axes parallel, and you roll it, there will be a lot of sliding, but it will roll straight. This is because the front cone's camber effect is resisted by the rear cone's lateral friction, and likewise the rear cones camber effect is resisted by the front cones lateral friction. Unless the cones are sliding laterally (sideways), the contraption rolls straight. Link to a lighthearted article about this:

http://www.terrycolon.com/1features/bike.html

• Like 1

Camber thrust is a term describing the centripetal force exerted by the pavement on a tire. It normally used when discussing lateral and rotational deformation of a tire's contact patch in response to lateral loads. This is different than camber effect, which is related to a cone or a truncated cone (such as a leaned tire).

8 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

the lean angle would be changing.

the lean angle does not change, but the direction of the angular momentum does. That is precession precisely. For simplicity consider just an infinitely thin wheel (without euc body and rider and without camber effect to think of). There is indeed a coordinated solution where the rolling wheel has a constant lean, constant absolute angular velocity and constant turn rate. The angular momentum in this solution exhibits precession and can be explained in gyroscopic terms: due to the torque created by the lean (it's most convenient to calculate torque with respect to the contact point at each moment of time) the angular momentum rotates, always staying in a vertical plane perpendicular to the wheel.

Here is how I see it working. 
The unicycle can move forward or backwards not side to side. It maintains balance front to back not side to side. This creates a vertical axis stable front to back and only allows movements side to side. You create yaw on this axis when you distribute your weight. Like a ball in a pan. You can turn regardless of the mentioned forces. 

An EUC with a weightless infinitely narrow wheel would still work as long as it maintained proper traction to the ground and balance front to back. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

Gyroscopic precession: "Precession is the change of angular velocity and angular momentum produced by a torque." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession#Classical_(Newtonian)

The point here is that precession is a reaction to a torque, not an angle. If the angle is not changing, there is no net torque and there is no precession. When there is a torque on an uniform wheel, the precession reaction is 90 degrees "behind" the torque.

I'm not sure who your post was aimed at, but the above is also what I said.

This is why the cyclic (pitch and roll) control on helicopters is effectively advanced by 90 degrees, 

I've built many RC helicopters over the years, the first one did indeed have me scratching my head as to why the cyclic inputs had to be setup 90 degrees out of phase... :)

For electric unicycles, you have two primary axes for precession reaction to a torque, yaw - vertical axis, roll

Yes, and further makes my comment that humans are amazing to be able to ride an EUC from zero up to 45+mph. We haven't even looked at the results of the precession caused by the motor torque inputs which our brains also subconsciously deal with :)

3 minutes ago, yoos said:

the lean angle does not change, but the direction of the angular momentum does. That is precession precisely. For simplicity consider just an infinitely thin wheel (without euc body and rider and without camber effect to think of). There is indeed a coordinated solution where the rolling wheel has a constant lean, constant absolute angular velocity and constant turn rate. The angular momentum in this solution exhibits precession and can be explained in gyroscopic terms: due to the torque created by the lean (it's most convenient to calculate torque with respect to the contact point at each moment of time) the angular momentum rotates, always staying in a vertical plane perpendicular to the wheel.

In a coordinated turn, the direction of angular momentum only changes about the yaw (vertical) axis, there is no change about the roll axis, and other than small radius turns, the rate of yaw is low. Also the precession reaction due to rotation about the yaw axis would be a response in the roll axis, meaning that the lean angle would be changing, but since this is a coordinated turn, the lean angle is not changing. The rider's control inputs (steering, leaning of the EUC, leaning of the rider), keeps the turn coordinated.

• Like 1