Torn between two wheels

upbnsfrrfan

Ok I need everybody's opinion and advice. So i pre ordered my Vet thru AliExpress last month. Yesterday, the seller emailed me that they're not sure when the wheel is going to be in stock again. They're saying that it might take another 3-4 months??? because of battery shortage. So now they're offering me the 2021 Begode EX.N with the updated offroad tires and the honeycomb pedals and the upgraded mother board. I like both wheels but i can only afford one. Should I go for the EXN or keep the preorder? What do you guys think.

Get the one you can get, now. If the EX.N also fits your needs and you get a warranty with it.  I mean it COULD be 3-4 months. It could be longer. It could be a new wheel arrives and within 6, you'd want it instead. I do know this for sure. You wait another 3-4 months, and you can kiss this summer goodbye. Seize the day motherf**ker! Im not even a gotway fanboi and I think its a no brainer. Just don't forget, ANY new wheel is a gamble. Get that warranty and put that bi**h into the wind! Have you tried to squeeze any of the local retailers a bit on price? I havent kept up with it tho, perhaps everyones out atm.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

I agree, get what you can now as manufacturing has been halted for the Sherman until batteries/materials are replenished. 

On a side note I have a Sherman and really wanted a EX.N after the fact, but opted for the larger motor and more torque of the EX (who knows when that will arrive). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

How are you at waiting ?

I'm not really sure if I could wait for 4 months though. The only good thing about that is, I can practice more on my V8f til it gets here :thumbup: I really prefer the VS than the EXN....decisions....decisions :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, upbnsfrrfan said:

I'm not really sure if I could wait for 4 months though. The only good thing about that is, I can practice more on my V8f til it gets here :thumbup: I really prefer the VS than the EXN....decisions....decisions :P

Have you seen the movie... "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks? well, their 2 weeks could be similar to China's 4 months. I know the magic 8-ball is made over there (ok so i dont know), but how much do we want to gamble on their ability to tell the future? Today is here and we can prove it. Get the one you can get. If it doesnt stroke your motor after a few miles, you could sell it and break even or get profit. I mean hell, Free burn-in testing and already in the usa... itll sell. I'd bet $$ you won't sell and youll just end up with two big ones anyhow. Maybe you end up trading for a sherman. Perhaps your need for speed will be filled and youll have a suspension wheel (KS, innmo, vet?) in 6 monhts and roll the dice on that prerelease. I could part with my sherman for $10k and have it at your door in a week... I promise it even works!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

If you are set on a Sherman then you should probably go ahead and purchase ShanesPlanet's wheel. He has all kinds of futuristic stuff on it, puts mine to shame. 

_I am going to require a commission on this LOL.

I kid, but I do see used Shermans pop up for sale on the forums and even SF Bay CL.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, btl said:

I'd love to have an EX.N HT version. Could i order an RS HT Motor and EX control board to modify my EX.N for HT?

torque version of EXN with c38 motor will come out ;)

While it takes me up any hill i tried so far, i fear burning the mainboard... i leave out the steepest inclines in my forest now. I really think the torque version would have been better choice. Instead of buying new wheel AGAIN i'd rather pay for an upgrade. So, do you think RS HT C38 motor and EX controlboard will work?

i see. I guess my non-suspension pedal hangers will not be able to be mounted to EX motor, right? If so, i can only wait until EX.N HT comes out and order those parts.

I always find these threads better when people say these are my requirements and then ask for recommended wheels. Both of these wheels are way heavier than the V8 and are aimed at different target audiences. Hopefully you're after a long distance high speed wheel and don't have any stairs to carry it up ;)

• Like 1

I was a happy MSX 84V rider and wanted more range in first place. 1800Wh wasn't enough upgrade, but 2700Wh was. Then after i received my wheel, i see videos of people burning their mainboards while going up an incline. Ouch.

In case i need a light wheel, i have my MCM5 V2.

Edited by btl

My comment was more a general comment for posts in this section and was not aimed at you at all. It's genuinely more interesting to respond to these posts in this section by getting the full requirements first and then coming up with suggestions that hopefully meet those requirements. The problem with being asked to pick between 2 wheels is we have no idea what the OP actually needs, do they want to ride far? what experience do they have? how much do they weigh, does either wheel suit their requirements.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 11:23 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

My comment was more a general comment for posts in this section and was not aimed at you at all. It's genuinely more interesting to respond to these posts in this section by getting the full requirements first and then coming up with suggestions that hopefully meet those requirements. The problem with being asked to pick between 2 wheels is we have no idea what the OP actually needs, do they want to ride far? what experience do they have? how much do they weigh, does either wheel suit their requirements.

Looking for recommendations for a fat fuller-figured 6' fellow of 105kg or thereby, for touring estate byways and stone metalled forest tracks, etc. Range preferred over speed, no serious gradient hill climbing anticipated, though I live in areas where gradients of 5% are encountered, just country lane cruising, I'm swithering between going now for either winding of the GW M super Pro, or similar wheels above this spec (but not the monster pro plus) or waiting and crying in the interim for a VS, which I can understand may be a bit of a handful to learn on, though it seems it has and can be done. Plenty of redundancy and no need for speed are my main thoughts, but my limiting factor being my size/weight. I'm physically active and walk the hills most days as part of my work.

Realistically,  I imagine it could now well be with a new year and firmly upgraded price tag before we see the return of the Sherman to our shores?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

On 6/25/2021 at 5:49 PM, Freeforester said:

Any suggestions welcome, thanks!

I'd suggest a wheel with at least a 2000W motor and 1600Wh battery. Saying that though, I weigh a couple of kilo less than you and ride a 1000W EUC with a 840Wh battery but I rarely ride further than 10 miles (max is about 22 miles). Most people go with Gotway for the speed though their Monsters are kings of range but they're also big and heavy wheels which doesn't make them at all easy to learn on. The Sherman is a great wheel but it weighs a tonne and I wouldn't like to learn on one.

The M Super Pro is a nice wheel but I'm not sure it suits your needs. The case is fairly fragile in front impacts and it's likely to hit the ground a lot while you're learning. I think it also has a hollow motor which isn't great if conditions are wet and it can get very wet in Scotland. The pedal angle is also quite severe which is great for control on fast manoeuvres but not so much for long leisurely rides. 

In your position I'd look at a Kingsong 18XL or perhaps the 16X which both have ranges of 60+ miles, they're both relaxing to ride and very robust. The 16X used to have issues in the rain but I think that's been solved now. Another alternative is the new Inmotion V12 which will have a range of 50+ miles, it's a new wheel but Inmotion do make solid wheels. If you want a Gotway wheel then the Nikola+ has a range of 50+ miles and it's totally waterproof and very rugged but you might want to get a protective cover to avoid scratching that pretty shell. It's also fairly comfortable to ride once you get used to the width.

Redundancy isn't a big thing on any EUC but very few wheels fail by themselves. Most accidents are from riders not paying attention to their battery level and  simply pushing the wheel to fast when the battery is low.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 9:05 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

MI'd suggest a wheel with at least a 2000W motor and 1600Wh battery. Saying that though, I weigh a couple of kilo less than you and ride a 1000W EUC with a 840Wh battery but I rarely ride further than 10 miles (max is about 22 miles). Most people go with Gotway for the speed though their Monsters are kings of range but they're also big and heavy wheels which doesn't make them at all easy to learn on. The Sherman is a great wheel but it weighs a tonne and I wouldn't like to learn on one.

The M Super Pro is a nice wheel but I'm not sure it suits your needs. The case is fairly fragile in front impacts and it's likely to hit the ground a lot while you're learning. I think it also has a hollow motor which isn't great if conditions are wet and it can get very wet in Scotland. The pedal angle is also quite severe which is great for control on fast manoeuvres but not so much for long leisurely rides. 

In your position I'd look at a Kingsong 18XL or perhaps the 16X which both have ranges of 60+ miles, they're both relaxing to ride and very robust. The 16X used to have issues in the rain but I think that's been solved now. Another alternative is the new Inmotion V12 which will have a range of 50+ miles, it's a new wheel but Inmotion do make solid wheels. If you want a Gotway wheel then the Nikola+ has a range of 50+ miles and it's totally waterproof and very rugged but you might want to get a protective cover to avoid scratching that pretty shell. It's also fairly comfortable to ride once you get used to the width.

Redundancy isn't a big thing on any EUC but very few wheels fail by themselves. Most accidents are from riders not paying attention to their battery level and  simply pushing the wheel to fast when the battery is low.

Thanks very much for this Mike, though Ive read in most places and reviews that the MSP is in fact a solid wheel motor, but could yet be wrong on this - I looked at several comparison videos, all of which suggested the MSP was a solid wheel. I’ve also ordered the larger, adjustable-angle honeycomb/spiked foot pedals (moly grease for the pins and blue thread loctite at the ready for the grub screws) to accommodate my size 11 1/2 feet, though may of course have an initial ‘feel’ of the RS pedals supplied, but I do tend to imagine the latter will be a little on the short side; as I’ve no experience at all on the wheel, I’ll consider the dihedral aspect when I try it, but am grateful for your suggestion in this regard and note that this aspect is often mentioned by others. I’ve also ordered up a goodly selection of bumper tape type protective coverings,  and will be making a few ‘consumable’ front and rear bumpers out of 40mm recticell/kingspan type expanded foam, faced off with harder upvc  and/or other medium-density polystyrene etc for the inevitable ‘Icarus’ moments!

More importantly, I’ll be doing my basic training on quiet mown grass fields just here where I live, which is incidentally is a reasonably dry region of Scotland,  the recipient of average 30” of annual rainfall (Scotland is a place of ‘varying precipitation’!), which compares somewhat favourably to eg Ft William over on the West coast, which gets above five times this amount!

A roll.nz cover is already on its way too, to cover over or protect from the multitudes of my sins and shortcomings!

Concerning training, I’m pretty aware of the inverse relationship between ‘(over-)confidence’ and ‘ability’ in early student behaviour, which can have catastrophic consequences eg when flying, but cheerfully resign myself that there will be a number of occasions where I get up close and personal with the daisies! I intend very much to make haste slowly,  much like training the gundog, ie using a fully reversible building-block process. I’ll not be doing anything at all in terms of starting before all the gear is all here too, and only then commence on the aforementioned building-block basis, and to date, as good as that outlined most clearly in Ustride’s well-considered 12 point YT programme. Having trained and learned to fly paramotors as a complete novice, I’m very much in favour of both this basic building-block style progression, as well as using video recorded footage to self-analyse, learn, and if required, re-learn until the step is thoroughly mastered, ‘One small step at a time’ will be my mantra, with the emphasis on building muscle memory through repetitive actions until they become thoroughly second nature, then move on to the next step, but only then.      When we ski out in Austria, we are blessed with the guidance of a very conservative and safety-conscious elderly guide (who taught my partner’s late grandmother to ski more than thirty years ago!), and we are all so grateful for his wisdom in insisting on us completing our little balance, skills practice routines and training runs every day we are out with him, we feel such repetitive daily exercises are neither time lost nor wasted in our efforts to improve; quite a few of the pistes and back trails there are ‘formidable’ tending to ‘intimidating’ to the faint-hearted, let alone untrained!

Despite its wet-weather shortcomings, which will be addressed in due course  (I won’t be looking to be out in the wet, and as a ‘confirmed’ weather-watcher by nature of my erstwhile profession we do keep a close eye on the weather reports up here - I took some pics of us standing on 8 foot of snow above the normal road level back in February!), I’ve  chosen to go with the MSP HC30 version, primarily as it is a solid wheel unit (- if I’m wrong about this I’ll be sending it straight back and looking for a solid wheel alternative, I note also that the KS 18xl is in fact heavier than the MSuper Pro!), and for its relative redundancy apropos safe cruising versus maximum speed - I simply haven’t got the desire for lots of torque, or ripping off some start line or up an unfeasibly steep slope (I’m 58 now, but still keen to get out there, albeit on my own terms of engagement, I sold the motorbike many years ago!), but I want a unit that can comfortably bear my 104 kg weight, and has decent range for relaxed touring (where we live and ride ebikes we can go for dozens of miles without seeing another soul); I’ll doubtless be falling over at some point, just like everyone else, hence the pre-ordering of all safety gear, and confinement to where the going is green and ‘good to soft’ before progressing toward the harder trails and surfaces.

Looking forward to the new learning challenge!

Edited by Freeforester
Clarification