S18 range - What are you getting?

FinRider

We were on a group ride a couple of weeks ago that was a bit longer than what I am used to... probably in the 50-60km range. I got some serious range anxiety when we were 20 km from the car and I had 20% battery left.... however, I found out that I had a setting in my EUC for "battery optimization" or something to that extent turned on --> when switching it off (and checking with darknessbot) I had some 45% battery left... I need to do a range test of my own as I have yet to ride the wheel low enough to experience the tiltback on it.

But to the point, what range have you guys experienced before getting to the tiltbacks? I did 44km today and I still have (EUC World reported) 54% battery left. I did not put the wheel to the charger as I intend to try to run it "dry" tomorrow. Just curious about what others are getting. This riding was flat surface, average 26.5 km/h riding with 85kg on the wheel.

EUC world claims a 13.4 KWH/km ratio for the consumption, which would lead me to calculate that I could do (theoretically)

1100 / 13.4 = 82 km

• Like 1

You would need to decrease the 1100Wh in the calculation in order to get the usable Wh that is available for riding. The Wh figure is calculated reaching lower than any EUCs allow the batteries to be used. I don’t remember how low exactly though.

But it would still only be a calculation. Riding all the way to the end is the only way to find out the actual range.

1 minute ago, mrelwood said:

You would need to decrease the 1100Wh in the calculation in order to get the usable Wh that is available for riding. The Wh figure is calculated reaching lower than any EUCs allow the batteries to be used. I don’t remember how low exactly though.

But it would still only be a calculation. Riding all the way to the end is the only way to find out the actual range.

yepp. I will know tomorrow as I tend to give it a go.. don't feel like walking the sucker home so it will probably be a nice endless loop around my local community once I get it down to single digits on the %

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

things might have changed a bit. I am about to add 20 more batteries to the s18, and while testing capacity I saw that the cell took 4891mah from 3.15 to 4.185 at 1A charging, kingsong takes it from 3.10 to 4.20 I believe, the 5ah is no marketing any more. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where and how I like to ride (hills/trails) 35 miles is approaching the top. 

I had an aggressive 31 mile trail ride this week that left me with 12% but I got down to 1.5% before the decent to my house. Accumulate ascent / decent for reference: 5k ft. each  

But I’ve also done 37.4 mi. mostly road ride and had 31% battery remaining at the end. That ride was slower and more casual. Although it included my first time to roll through the BMX park! (De/as)cent: 2.2k ft. each

I weigh a buck fifty for reference.

Edit. I had to drop my car off for service today and took a 32.5 mile ride with 50% battery left. (De/as)cent: 730 ft. each. So I could ride farther but my legs are tired!

Edited by Wrd
Adding another example

• 2 years later...

70km (70kg rider, average speed 25km/h, flat road)

S18 shows a range of 100km but after 70km it is completely empty. The first 60km is calculated "correctly": the range the decreases from 100km to 40km in 60km but at 40% battery and 40km resting range, after riding 10km, the battery is completely empty 0%. So the lowest 30% is unusable. Do you have the same issue?

Edited by marc

On 6/10/2021 at 7:12 PM, FinRider said:

EUC world claims a 13.4 KWH/km ratio for the consumption, which would lead me to calculate that I could do (theoretically)

1100 / 13.4 = 82 km

1110 Wh is a nominal battery capacity, which is greater than usable battery capacity. It's because for nominal capacity, end-of-discharge voltage of 2.5 V/cell is used as 0%, while EUC won't let you ride when the battery voltage will drop below 3.0-3.3V/cell (depending on model and firmware version). For sake of simplicity, you should assume that usable capacity is about 80-90 % of nominal capacity.

• Upvote 1